• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Within hours of putting in a Crystal Ball prediction for OJ Tucker to FAU, Ryan Bartow changed his prediction to Iowa State.

ETA: OJ Tucker committed to Iowa State. The 247 article said that he will still visit FAU on 1/27, implying that he will not visit Wake. Certainly possible that Wake backed off at some point.

Last edited:
I would have to say that Iowa State would be the very last of all of the P5 schools that I would want to play football for, if I was from anywhere outside of Iowa. Not very good program, miserable weather, small city in Iowa, lackluster academic reputation, etc.

Kansas or Rutgers competes with Iowa State as the worst P5 football program

Rutgers is at least in between New York and Philly.

With OJ tucker to Iowa state and tre Norwood blowing up with offers, we definitely need to close on Showell and tyriq hardimon. Pulling in one surratt or waydale jones would be nice as well.

Also hope we can hold onto burley, but his Twitter feed continues to be dominated by retweets from ole miss fans.

Last edited:
I think tons of Ole Miss fans have been throwing tweets Burley's way and no one from Wake has been tweeting st him. Anyway we can get a little Twitter campaign going? Get him feeling some more Deacon love...that seems important to him

Gotta say I agree with BDL. I love Wake and I love Twitter. I can't get on board with trying to woo young men to WFU via social media hype...v creepy. Gonna have to just sit back and rely on the coaches for that.

Gotta say I agree with BDL. I love Wake and I love Twitter. I can't get on board with trying to woo young men to WFU via social media hype...v creepy. Gonna have to just sit back and rely on the coaches for that.

I'm mixed on that. I can understand where it kind of looks and feels creepy, but I've talked (obviously) to a ton of prospects and most of them enjoy positive interaction on social media. If they didn't, they probably wouldn't have Twitter accounts.

There are certain things I think would be best to shy away from, such as negatively remarking on other schools in the mix or blasting the kid if he chooses another, but for the most part I think encouraging a kid about Wake on Twitter is mostly a positive.

I've seen Burley RT a few Wake things today, as a matter of fact.

We got tyriq hardimon per his Twitter!!Les over on scout had the inside scoop too before it broke. Big get!

Last edited:
Just watched his senior year highlights. Looks like a beast. I'm no expert, but I would guess he projects to be a safety in college, though he does show pretty decent coverage skills. The guy is a big hitter and makes great open field tackles. Appears to be very quick as well. Think he's going to be a stud for us in a year or two

I first read about Ty Hardimon last spring. High GPA kid was looking at a lot of academic schools. I was surprised that Wake waited as long as they did to offer (in May). IIRC correctly he plays a safety position in high school and is really, really quick and can hit. He'd be a little undersized for a safety but I think he plays it well. Some websites list him as corner which would be a better match physically. I suspect that maybe boundary corner is where he ends up. Maybe the nickel corner role that Okonye had. I could see him being a good pass rusher for a DB. It will be interesting to see what they do with him. I think he can be a really good player if the staff finds the right way to use him. I'm really happy with this addition.

Les Johns had the scoop on Friday that Hardimon was visiting. I hadn't had him on my radar after he committed to Cal.

I first read about Ty Hardimon last spring. High GPA kid was looking at a lot of academic schools. I was surprised that Wake waited as long as they did to offer (in May). IIRC correctly he plays a safety position in high school and is really, really quick and can hit. He'd be a little undersized for a safety but I think he plays it well. Some websites list him as corner which would be a better match physically. I suspect that maybe boundary corner is where he ends up. Maybe the nickel corner role that Okonye had. I could see him being a good pass rusher for a DB. It will be interesting to see what they do with him. I think he can be a really good player if the staff finds the right way to use him. I'm really happy with this addition.

Les Johns had the scoop on Friday that Hardimon was visiting. I hadn't had him on my radar after he committed to Cal.

Do you think his commitment might have anything to do with the rumors on here that Jay Sawvel will be our new DC? I saw that Hardimon had a Minnesota offer, as well.

Back