• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018-2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

All the talk about Harper going to the Dodgers, Giants or Padres during the last few weeks was just Boras using those teams to squeeze more money from Philadelphia. Harper was always going to the Phillies. Their ballpark is made for him. And with Hernandez & Segura at the top of the lineup, Harper is going to drive in a ton of runs. This also increases Hoskins' fantasy value. The Phillies' offense is going to rival the Red Sox this year.

but he has to live in Philadelphia for the next 13 years

Boras may have been slow playing the Phillies to make sure he (and his client, Bryce Harper) held the record for biggest, longest deal for at least the next year. Maybe longer.

310 didn't beat Stanton's number. Boras' goal was biggest, longest contract.

If I were about to be $300M+ richer I'd spend the 20M to live in San Fran. I suppose for ball players it doesn't much matter, and there are other factors at play, but I'd just rather spend the prime of my career in San Fran over Philly. And again, I'll never understand what it's like to be in that position, but I wouldn't think I'd care about a salary record as it will just be beat in a another year or two. Maybe Harper wanted to be in Philadelphia and was just getting every penny he could. If so, cool for him.

I would assume he will continue to live in Vegas and just condo it up during the season. But, I guess you never know.

Rittenhouse during the summer is pretty nice.

Boras was quoted as saying SF was told they would need to be highest by $20 million due to California taxes

IIRC, Harper will make $26 million over each of the first 10 years of the contract. Both Machado and Arenado will receive more money for each year of their long term contracts that they signed, and both have opt out rights if the market makes it clear than can make even more through free agency. When Betts and Trout sign for $35 to $40 million a year or more, I guess Harper can still hang on to the fact that he is signed (with no opt outs) until he turns 39. Even so, if Harper believes he is the best or among the best in the game, hard to understand why that is a good thing. Just seems weird that Harper and Boras seemed so hung up on being able to claim that the total value of the contract is more than Stanton's deal even though it seems obvious that several players will make more money over the next 13 years than Bryce.

They only make more because Harper is a terrible player, I'm not sure if you know, but he hit under. 250 twice. Meanwhile, Arenado has a cool .291 career average and Machado is at .282.

Harper now knows with some high degree of certainty what his career earnings will be. There is something to be said for that. Future financial planning gets much easier. It's also easier when those future earnings are over $300 million.

They only make more because Harper is a terrible player, I'm not sure if you know, but he hit under. 250 twice. Meanwhile, Arenado has a cool .291 career average and Machado is at .282.

what's the correct price tag per WAR?

I hate the Phils and hope Bryce can replicate 2014, 2016, 2018 over the next 13 years

That Giants CEO video looks like a nothingburger, but dude's prolly gonna get fired.

what's the correct price tag per WAR?

I hate the Phils and hope Bryce can replicate 2014, 2016, 2018 over the next 13 years

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-recent-history-of-free-agent-pricing/ this is from 2017 but if you go with their projected $/WAR for 2018, that'd be $11.1m, 2019 = $11.7m. Granted, that's not what you're going to see a 5 WAR player get. He's not getting $55m/year. A bench player worth 1 WAR isn't getting $11m. $/WAR isn't a perfect way to look what a player should be making because it is not the WAR going rate. Instead, $/WAR is a perfect stat to use for surplus value.

Back