• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers - New Season New Thread for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw where we are like 0-7 this season on potential tying or taking the lead drives at the end of games this year. So to me that says the defense at least put us in position to win games but the offense (mostly Teddy because QBs get all credit/blame) can’t get it done when it matters

He got us in position to win at KC, NO & MN in the last few seconds only to have Slye miss the FG. Granted, they were long attempts but makeable. He deserves credit for getting the plays made in crunch time in those games - he did all he could do with what he had to work with. Not his fault we went o-3 in those situations. Slye makes all 3 and we are right in the mix for the playoffs.

He got us in position to win at KC, NO & MN in the last few seconds only to have Slye miss the FG. Granted, they were long attempts but makeable. He deserves credit for getting the plays made in crunch time in those games - he did all he could do with what he had to work with. Not his fault we went o-3 in those situations. Slye makes all 3 and we are right in the mix for the playoffs.

can anyone name a clutch kick Slye has made? he'll make a 54 yarder in the middle of the 3rd quarter, but shank a 45 yarder with a minute left.

If we land at #4 and tried to trade back to say 10 or 11 and snag Lance, what would that yield us in return?

No. Maybe he could become a reliable backup. What's important is he was Rhule's QB at Temple, so I could see Rhule wanting to keep him on the roster long term.

Lantz played at ND State and he's not playing this year. Hard to imagine he starts right away.

Lantz is also 20 years old. 0% chance he starts week 1 in 2021 for any team, IMO.

Define "makeable." The kicks against NO and KC were 65- and 67-yarders, either of which would have set the record for the longest FG in NFL history. Also, Bridgewater took a horrible sack on the play before the kick against NO, which was very likely the difference in Slye making the kick and missing it.

Define "makeable." The kicks against NO and KC were 65- and 67-yarders, either of which would have set the record for the longest FG in NFL history. Also, Bridgewater took a horrible sack on the play before the kick against NO, which was very likely the difference in Slye making the kick and missing it.

I thought the KC kick was 55 yarxs

If we land at #4 and tried to trade back to say 10 or 11 and snag Lance, what would that yield us in return?

According to the draft value chart, the #4 pick (1800) would be worth the #10 pick (1300), the 10th pick in the 2nd round (480) and a late rounder (20).

That would definitely be worth it if we're happy with whoever we could get a #10. That would probably get us Lance, Parsons, or one of the top CBs with a chance at getting two more good players at the same positions in the 2nd.

I want those rose colored glasses you’re wearing.

In KC he threw a check down at our own ten which ran about 30 seconds of the clock to gain maybe 8 yards (there was a minute left in the game). He couldn’t complete a pass to DJ to get closer so we trot Slye out for a 67 yarder which would have been an NFL record by a few yards. This was not “in position” to win

In NO like OGB mentioned, he took a terrible sack that made that kick 65 yards that Slye only missed by a foot

In MN he couldn’t get the TD to a wide open DJ the possession before (in fact DJ hurts himself trying to catch a horrible pass). He did have a good throw to Samuel to set up the kick. This one Slye should have made IMO but this game should have been long over before it came to that

That would definitely be worth it if we're happy with whoever we could get a #10. That would probably get us Lance, Parsons, or one of the top CBs with a chance at getting two more good players at the same positions in the 2nd.

Parsons is probably #4 or 5. If you're looking at CB, you could probably get the Bama or VT CB around #10-14. I'd be surprised if Lance made it to double digits, unless maybe the BYU QB looks better in the underwear olympics. It'll be interesting to see if Lance throws at the combine. I'm more interested in his 40 time - he's a really good runner.

I've seen mocks with Lance and Parsons as low as #10, but no lower. The 3-10 seems to be a combination of Wilson and Lance, 2 OL, 2 CBs, Parsons, and Pitts with some top WR sprinkled in. If the Panthers are good with Parsons, Pitts, Lance, Wilson, the CBs or OL, trading down to 10 for a high 2nd rounder seems like an obvious decision if it's available. If we end up at #4 or #5, we should hope both QBs and the WRs rise up the charts to improve the trade value and drop some need picks to #10 or below.

Parsons will be long gone by then i'd imagine, but we should be safe to pick up the 4th Qb by then.

That being said, we played this hypothetical trade game last year and the board fell perfectly for us, then no one had any interest in trading. Trading up in the NFL is just too damn expensive and teams know that (not including the Saints)

one would hope this is the lowest we draft under Rhule, so seems like a QB is a decent chance

I want those rose colored glasses you’re wearing.

In KC he threw a check down at our own ten which ran about 30 seconds of the clock to gain maybe 8 yards (there was a minute left in the game). He couldn’t complete a pass to DJ to get closer so we trot Slye out for a 67 yarder which would have been an NFL record by a few yards. This was not “in position” to win

In NO like OGB mentioned, he took a terrible sack that made that kick 65 yards that Slye only missed by a foot

In MN he couldn’t get the TD to a wide open DJ the possession before (in fact DJ hurts himself trying to catch a horrible pass). He did have a good throw to Samuel to set up the kick. This one Slye should have made IMO but this game should have been long over before it came to that

You make my point. If all you remember is the plays that didn't go the way we'd like no one can live up to that standard. There is a defense on the field and any QB can only see and react to what he sees at the time. Fact is, at crunch time, with little to no timeouts he moved the ball down the field to give the kicker a chance. Only one of those kicks was 60+ the other tww were 50+. The point being, had Slye made 1, 2 or all 3 we wouldn't be so critical of Bridgewater.

Perhaps had the defense stopped the Saints and the Vikings on their last drive instead of parting like the Red Sea there would have been no need for last second heroics to try and win the game.

I thought the KC kick was 55 yarxs

You make my point. If all you remember is the plays that didn't go the way we'd like no one can live up to that standard. There is a defense on the field and any QB can only see and react to what he sees at the time. Fact is, at crunch time, with little to no timeouts he moved the ball down the field to give the kicker a chance. Only one of those kicks was 60+ the other tww were 50+. The point being, had Slye made 1, 2 or all 3 we wouldn't be so critical of Bridgewater.

Perhaps had the defense stopped the Saints and the Vikings on their last drive instead of parting like the Red Sea there would have been no need for last second heroics to try and win the game.

That's the longest 55-yard field goal I've ever seen.

No - two of the kicks were for 65 (Saints) and 67 (Chiefs) yards which both would have been NFL record kicks

Also the defense spotted the offense 14 points against Vikings and it still wasn’t enough

The 0-7 stat I mentioned speaks for itself - Teddy doesn’t get it done in crunch time

Also, there's no way we take Trey Lance with a top 5 pick. Justin Fields and Zach Wilson are the top two after Lawrence.

If we think we want to have any chance of drafting either, we need to be ahead of the Falcons. That would obviously be contingent on the Jags not taking Fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back