• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Fitness / Weight-Loss Accountability Thread - BACK FOR 2024!

My doctor referred me to CoreLife at Novant and meeting with a dietitian has been helpful. My weight has never really been an issue of not being active, it's always been about how much I eat and shitty genes. God dammit.
don't fall into the shitty Genes trap. it will allow you to make excuses. I almost gave up when i was taking care of my dad after surgery...getting him into a shower and realizng the old man is built almost exactly like the Grinch had me thinking WTF is the point. get rid of that stinking thinking!!!!

lol what the hell why is he doing this
he used to get in the shower fully clothed and just trail water from shower to sauna....i complained to the front desk on that shit. just gross.
I guess he wants to try to mimic a steam room? i dunno..it's just disgusting and rude to those around you

This is how i feel about the people that go from shower to locker without drying and track water all over the floors. Then you gotta navigate getting dressed without getting your slacks wet.

Check out Andy Galpin on Huberman Lab

The important thing is to go as near FAILURE as possible. Leave as few reps in reserve as possible. It doesn't have to be heavy but it does have to be HARD.
You might have meant this anyway, but I think most in that evidence based exercise science community, including Galpin, would agree that stopping 2-3 reps short of failure is much better than going to actual failure. Just as much gains and far less fatigue/injury risk.

You might have meant this anyway, but I think most in that evidence based exercise science community, including Galpin, would agree that stopping 2-3 reps short of failure is much better than going to actual failure. Just as much gains and far less fatigue/injury risk.
Thats a narrow window to hit though.

True! You get better at it with experience. And I think as long as your are within 4 reps or so you are doing very well. Just make sure you keep good form.

he used to get in the shower fully clothed and just trail water from shower to sauna....i complained to the front desk on that shit. just gross.
I guess he wants to try to mimic a steam room? i dunno..it's just disgusting and rude to those around you
I feel like one of the defining benefits of the dry sauna is you can heat up your core temp at a lower heat because the air is dryer (so your nostrils etc aren't as bothered by super hot air). This just feels like it is defeating the point.

Gross. I've started to add in Sauna to my workout routine and thankfully I haven't run into anything like that. My gym also has a steam room for those looking for that experience.

what are the reported benefits of sauna and steam room

do not want to google thanks

i don't know and haven't googled much. But...bloodflow increases becasue blood vessels dilate as body temp increases. So i always feel a little looser after some time in there. For me the benefit is it's super relaxing and just a great place to chill and sweat

Yes, near failure is 2-3 for me.

Also, I think most even with moderate experience don't know true failure. So, going to "failure" is likely at least 2-3 reps in reserve.

I personally go until there is a drop off in form or there is ANY out of place discomfort. Knowing what is uncomfortable from a potentially injury standpoint takes a lot of experience/trial and error. I'm 52 years old and even the slightest injury takes too long to recover.

There is some evidence of cardiovascular benefits, increased mood/reduced anxiety, and release of HGH.

Do I think I'm getting any of that? Who knows, but I certainly feel better and less stressed after 20 minutes in the sauna.

Back