• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

The committee showed that analytics only matter for certain teams and conferences and not others. For some reason, the ACC and Wake don't get in because of the metrics, or when we have the metrics don't get in because of some other reason. The "other factor" is probably the big TV contracts that the SEC and Big10 have with CBS and ESPN.
It certainly seems biased against the ACC

The committee sure didn’t seem to have a Kenpom subscription. UConn, Auburn, & Iowa St are all in his top 5 while all ended up in the East. Also toss in Illinois who is ranked #10.

Losing to Utah sent us down the "you need to dominate in conference" road, which is pretty difficult to do.

Once we lost to ND, the season was dead.

We can talk about conference road wins, the GT loss, or whatever, but the truth is Wake needed to be 15-5 in the ACC to be firmly in the field entering the ACCT. Wake entered conference season with little margin for error due to playing and winning few games against major conference opponents. The powers that be have to schedule better opponents home/home, MTEs, neutral site, whatever. Do that and they can win 11 or 12 games in conference and flame out in the ACCT and still make the tournament.
Yet the MWC gets 6 teams in by playing less major conference games than Wake combined. BTW Wake was 13-12 against P6 opponents this year(Not including the ACC tourney) and the MWC combined was 11-9. I posted this earlier in the thread that Utah State didn't play 1 game against a P6 team and are an 8 seed. They also didn't play 1 game against a tourney team outside their conference. I don't think Wake deserved a bid by any means, but it is ridiculous that they keep gaming the system. New Mexico probably wouldn't have got in if they didn't win their tournament. They played 0 P6 games, and only played St Mary's and lost by 14. Also, as a conference, they were 7-12 against teams that made the tourney this year outside their conference. By comparison Wake was 5-4 overall. If there was an ACC/MVC challenge, the ACC would be favored in every single game. My apologies about beating the same drum over and over. And we need to win more games, I guess. By the way, how did Michigan St worm its way in? Their best win is against Illinois, who also beat them, or I guess a Baylor team?

MSU was a metrics darling. They play tough teams and seem to get credit for it even if they lose.

The committee sure didn’t seem to have a Kenpom subscription. UConn, Auburn, & Iowa St are all in his top 5 while all ended up in the East. Also toss in Illinois who is ranked #10.
Well maybe ol Stevie Forbes was right about Kenny Pom and Bart

If next February we are worried about a lack of opportunities for meaningful wins then there is a major fucking problem. Maybe there won’t be such a condescending backlash to the concept of mid conference “must wins” when SB posters realize that you can’t just wait to put together a tournament resume in the last month of the season - you have to build
it all year.
But I was told all the blown leads in Jan and Feb didn’t matter?

But I was told all the blown leads in Jan and Feb didn’t matter?
They wouldn't have if Wake had beaten ND and GT down the stretch. That would have at least put Wake in the UVA spot. Winning those earlier games would have eliminated the necessity to win the later ones as well. It wasn't specifically the early road losses, it was all the road losses.

I think Wake needed 5 more wins after the Duke game. They got two. I think they needed ND, GT, and VT or Pitt.

Schedule more probable Q1 games and fewer Q4 games and win them. ACC powers that be seem to think they'll just be handed 8-9 bids instead of having to work for them.

I’d love to see what home & home opportunities are presented to Wake each season. In addition to the in-season tournament, it would be great to find an opportunity for one of the numerous neutral site games that seem to consist of only 2-4 teams.

I’d love to see what home & home opportunities are presented to Wake each season. In addition to the in-season tournament, it would be great to find an opportunity for one of the numerous neutral site games that seem to consist of only 2-4 teams.
I have always wonder this. Because it takes two to tango. I wonder if they have to be scheduled years in advance, or what. I also think that you won't see Wake in those 4 team games because we are not a blue blood or media darling. Especially after our lost decade. Maybe we should do like St Marys and just schedule 6 games against the MWC, since they have figured something out.

I have always wonder this. Because it takes two to tango. I wonder if they have to be scheduled years in advance, or what. I also think that you won't see Wake in those 4 team games because we are not a blue blood or media darling. Especially after our lost decade. Maybe we should do like St Marys and just schedule 6 games against the MWC, since they have figured something out.
It could be as simple as getting on the phone with Greensboro Coliseum and ESPN, getting some dates, and finding some MWC teams who want to get two or three games against ACC teams. Could be a Thursday through Sunday event with four ACC likely bubble or less teams like Wake, State, Clemson, and Tech or something like that playing four MWC teams.

It could be as simple as getting on the phone with Greensboro Coliseum and ESPN, getting some dates, and finding some MWC teams who want to get two or three games against ACC teams. Could be a Thursday through Sunday event with four ACC likely bubble or less teams like Wake, State, Clemson, and Tech or something like that playing four MWC teams.
That would be awesome. And then the following year, do something similar in Vegas or Salt Lake City

Back