• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

A lot. How much do you know about BYU? Because they are very, very similar.
I know a damn lot, and I’d have thought the same but for the hypocritical Christian thing of Liberty, which is why I asked you the question.

They’ve both go serious issues. People forget that the primary Mormon denomination was fundamentally racist until changing their doctrine in the late 1970s.

They’ve both go serious issues. People forget that the primary Mormon denomination was fundamentally racist until changing their doctrine in the late 1970s.
And I always take the chance to remind folks that the other well-known school that should be included along side these is Baylor. I’m a Religious Studies prof so I think I have a bit of heightened awareness about these places as they are all places you avoid applying because you can’t actually do your research.

I went to BYU (and Wake) and lived in Lynchburg. You're wrong. They're not the same, not even close.
Rose colored glasses for one you are fonder of. They are both awful. Any place where real scholarship can get you fired is not a real institution of higher learning. And yes, I know someone who was fired from BYU for writing a very well respected academic article on the language used in the Bible and Book of Mormon.

I went to BYU (and Wake) and lived in Lynchburg. You're wrong. They're not the same, not even close.
Congrats for no longer living in Lynchburg. Although I will say the athletic facilities at Liberty are pretty impressive.

Rose colored glasses for one you are fonder of. They are both awful. Any place where real scholarship can get you fired is not a real institution of higher learning. And yes, I know someone who was fired from BYU for writing a very well respected academic article on the language used in the Bible and Book of Mormon.
I'm sorry you're colleague was fired. I wasn't aware that someone was terminated for that reason. I'm still connected with the University so I'll try to find more info when I find time.

My brother is here visiting from the holidays. He's a Psychology professor for a major public university that you've heard of. He's authored 60+ peer reviewed articles and written books.

He has been warned by his Department Chair and that certain topics within his field are off limits. If he were to ignore those warnings in the pursuit of "real scholarship", it would adverly affect his career and could even lead to his termination.

So while I don't disagree with you when you suggest BYU limits scholarship pertaining to religious studies, you have to admit that unfortunately limitations of academic freedom exist on campuses across the country.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Congrats for no longer living in Lynchburg. Although I will say the athletic facilities at Liberty are pretty impressive.
Ha! It was only for a few months 20 years ago.

I'm sorry you're colleague was fired. I wasn't aware that someone was terminated for that reason. I'm still connected with the University so I'll try to find more info when I find time.

My brother is here visiting from the holidays. He's a Psychology professor for a major public university that you've heard of. He's authored 60+ peer reviewed articles and written books.

He has been warned by his Department Chair and that certain topics within his field are off limits. If he were to ignore those warnings in the pursuit of "real scholarship", it would adverly affect his career and could even lead to his termination.

So while I don't disagree with you when you suggest BYU limits scholarship pertaining to religious studies, you have to admit that unfortunately limitations of academic freedom exist on campuses across the country.

The situation I mentioned was years ago and the scholar is now retired. Here is the part that I could dig up: https://www.lds-mormon.com/dpw-shtml/

I truly have never heard of warnings like that except at schools with faith statements. BYU, Baylor, and Liberty are all schools I have heard first hand about applicants being asked hugely inappropriate questions about homosexuality, church attendance, etc. We can agree to disagree on this one because I don’t think either of our minds are being changed. I’ll also admit that BYU is likely much better than Liberty in many fields. I am not in one of those fields.

Does your brother have tenure?

Depending on the topics at issue, ignoring this warning could also lead to a better job elsewhere. Really depends on the substance of, and motivation behind, the warning.

At religious institutions, the motivation is obvious.

Is your brother in a red state?

Mark Few may be wanting Hunter Sallis back right about now.

I'm sure it will even up, but Notre Dame is up 13-0 over UVA.

This is the kind of shit that screws the ACC. Notre Dame is one of the worst 3 teams in a power 6 conference and has no chance of being anything other than a fringe Q3/Q4 game for everybody. UVA, meanwhile, would present a borderine Q1 opportunity for the middle of the conference looking to add quality wins and instead, this just contributes to stripping those chances while the bulk of the potential bubble teams are just going to take a very bad ND team out to the woodshed when they play

This is the kind of shit that screws the ACC. Notre Dame is one of the worst 3 teams in a power 6 conference and has no chance of being anything other than a fringe Q3/Q4 game for everybody. UVA, meanwhile, would present a borderine Q1 opportunity for the middle of the conference looking to add quality wins and instead, this just contributes to stripping those chances while the bulk of the potential bubble teams are just going to take a very bad ND team out to the woodshed when they play
and lipscomb working florida state

Back