• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: wheelin & dealin

with 1 out, Harper cannot take off like that unless he is absolutely sure the ball doesn't get caught. At worst, he's on third with 1 out and it's possible he scores anyway. It's a bad , bad baseball play by him.
Nearly every baseball coach would teach a baserunner to be running (at least) to second in that situation. You’re down a run and really should be scoring from first if that ball hits the wall.

I haven’t found a definitive video yet, but I don’t think Harper got that far past second base. I think he was simply slow to get turned around and going back towards first. So the mistake was more of a physical one than mental one in my opinion.

Nearly every baseball coach would teach a baserunner to be running (at least) to second in that situation. You’re down a run and really should be scoring from first if that ball hits the wall.

I haven’t found a definitive video yet, but I don’t think Harper got that far past second base. I think he was simply slow to get turned around and going back towards first. So the mistake was more of a physical one than mental one in my opinion.

Check out around the 2 minute mark of this video. Harper nearly fell down getting turned around. That was his problem, not that he ran too far.

I suppose you could say that he should have accounted for being a slow runner and been more conservative, but the Phillies are an aggressive baserunning team and I don’t blame them for it.

Harper is a good 15 feet past second base when ball is caught.

Harper is a good 15 feet past second base when ball is caught.
Yeah, which is maybe 5-10 feet farther than he ideally would have been.

Some people are talking as though he was idiotically running with his head down towards third base. If he doesn’t stumble getting turned around, he makes it back to first even with the incredible catch/throw made by Harris

Congrats Braves, good game.

That 2nd error by Turner was inexcusable. Cannot happen in the postseason.

we disagree on this and that's fine but as my final thought I will say that Harper was so far past second base that the throw from the outfield got by not 1 but 2 different cutoff men and the Braves still threw him out at first. He should have been right near second with his momentum slowed so that he can quickly change directions if ball is caught and he did neither of those things.

"Usually you don't pass the base," Phillies manager Rob Thomson said. "You stay in front of it, make sure it's not caught. But he thought the ball was clearly over his head, didn't think he was going to catch it. And Harris made a heck of a play. Unbelievable. He tried to get back, and he slipped, but usually you stay in front of the second base."

we disagree on this and that's fine but as my final thought I will say that Harper was so far past second base that the throw from the outfield got by not 1 but 2 different cutoff men and the Braves still threw him out at first. He should have been right near second with his momentum slowed so that he can quickly change directions if ball is caught and he did neither of those things.
Yeah, this - if Ozzie doesn't glitch and bungle the cutoff, Harper is out by 8 feet.

Can we look into signing that camera man for football? Raw speed

The way I see it, in order for the Braves to win this series Game 4 is a must win game. I just don't see us winning both an Elder/AJSS game AND another Fried vs. Wheeler game. Gotta win the Strider start.

The way I see it, in order for the Braves to win this series Game 4 is a must win game. I just don't see us winning both an Elder/AJSS game AND another Fried vs. Wheeler game. Gotta win the Strider start.
I think the offense comes back tomorrow.

I think the offense comes back tomorrow.
Nola pitched against the Braves three times this season:

May 25 in ATL: 6.0 IP, 8 H, 5 ER, 2 BB. Braves win 8-5
June 22 in PHI: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 BB. Braves win 5-1
Sept 20 in ATL: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 0 BB. Phillies win 6-5.

Normally I'd agree but this offense is so elite that I don't think there's really any script that has to be followed. We already lost a solid Strider start to basically a bullpen game only to win a game where Wheeler had no-hit stuff and Fried only went 4 shaky innings. There are just so many guys capable of catching fire for a game or two and there is so much rest in this series built in for the pitchers. Hell, Acuna is hitless to this point and he's one of 4 guys slugging zero through two games.

Just like last night we seemed dead-to-rights but found a way to win, I could see the Elder game being a 10-8 affair or it being a Nola shutdown game. The variance on the lineup is nuts, and the momentum just completely flipped. I just don't see much of a predictable script here.

Jomboy with such a detailed breakdown of the final two major plays of the game, takes it to another level (Riley hitting the HR with one hand and then seeing him get into the play to end the game), incredible.

Last edited:
Back