• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Atlanta Braves Season Thread: wheelin & dealin

Losing 5 of 6 so Dodgers have chance for home field is not good. Down to 2 great starters with Fried and Spencer. Morton pitching well but not sure you want to trust him in postseason. Bryce now probably a mid reliever for ps and a very shaky bullpen. Not acquiring an ace starter or reliever could cost the Bravos as pitching and D wins in postseason and we are middling at best with pitching now. just thankful Dodger pitching has a number of pitching injuries.
Braves definitely sweating bullets now. Elder now officially struggling most 2nd half and cant count on as a postseason starter, Fried and Morton on IR with Spencer only legit postseason pitcher healthy and a struggling bullpen. Bats going cold to boot. Could be a short October.

Braves definitely sweating bullets now. Elder now officially struggling most 2nd half and cant count on as a postseason starter, Fried and Morton on IR with Spencer only legit postseason pitcher healthy and a struggling bullpen. Bats going cold to boot. Could be a short October.
Fried is fine. He’ll be the Game 1 starter. But, yes, it doesn’t look great.

I don't know how much I trust Spencer to be honest. He gives up a lot of homeruns. I think Fried will be fine but he's basically the only starter I trust. I don't know that I trust anyone coming out of the bullpen. It feels like If we aren't scoring 7-8 runs a game we're going to struggle.

Look around the National League. This has to be the worst season for starting pitchers in living memory. Some of it has to do with changes in the game but check out the WAR leaders.

Wright has been bad, bad in his appearances since coming back, but I still might trust him over Elder in the 3rd spot given his playoff experience.

Get the feeling that Strider is going to have at least one post-season start where he gets hammered. He has already pitched 50 more innings than his career max. His 2nd half numbers show signs of fatigue.

The Brewers have the best post-season rotation, but man, their lineup sucks. Really hard to slug your way to a W-S, but if any lineup can do it, it would be the 2023 Braves.

Get the feeling that Strider is going to have at least one post-season start where he gets hammered. He has already pitched 50 more innings than his career max. His 2nd half numbers show signs of fatigue.

The Brewers have the best post-season rotation, but man, their lineup sucks. Really hard to slug your way to a W-S, but if any lineup can do it, it would be the 2023 Braves.

It damn well better be the 2023 Braves. WS Champ or bust.

Look around the National League. This has to be the worst season for starting pitchers in living memory. Some of it has to do with changes in the game but check out the WAR leaders.
This. Strider's like top 3 in the Cy Young race and Fried has been great since returning. Morton's finger MRI sounded more precautionary than anything and he'd been pitching well before shutting it down for the playoffs.

Everyone takes their lumps at times, not sure how much better any other 3 starters are in the NL. Only the Brewers are more than a tenth of a run better than the Braves ERA-wise. I'm much more worried about hitting a cold streak with the bats than I am wild pitching variance.

Morton is out for at least the division series.

Morton is out for at least the division series.
Yeah the article I read wrote it up as more of a precaution - the way the NLDS is set up it'll be Fried/Strider for 4 starts. So they only have one start needed, and Morton can replace an "injured" player on the roster if it turns out he's fine. I'm not sure how much a single start from Elder on a short leash changes the outlook thanks to the schedule. Braves just need to keep hitting.

I have no idea if Morton will be able to pitch in the NLCS if the Braves get there. I think the Braves can win without Morton. It would be really tough to win without Fried being close to 100%.

Game 3 will likely be an Elder/Wright combo in my opinion.

That’s what they are saying on local radio in Atlanta too. Fried, Strider and Elder (with a quick hook for Wright if Elder doesn’t pitch well and if Wright continues to look good in the bullpen).

Best season I can remember for a Brave in my lifetime. Can't wait to be there tonight as we put cubs a game back of Marlins.

Back