• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Carolina Panthers thread - HOF Julius Peppers

joe person with a new athletic article on the QB tour last week that's pretty good.

But one thing Fitterer did not learn on the QB tour is who Reich’s top choice is — because Fitterer doesn’t want to know.

“Frank and I had that conversation in his office. I said, ‘Don’t tell me who you like until we get down to it,’” Fitterer said Monday during a break at the NFLowners’ meetings. “As you go through the process, it gets more and more clear. But we’re still going through that.”

Fitterer said he’ll probably ask Reich who is his guy is a week or two before the April 27 start to the draft. Until then, Fitterer said everyone can go through the process without feeling any bias based on what other coaches or scouts believe.

“There’s so much talk about it and things get out. ‘Frank likes this guy. We like this (guy).’ Nobody knows, because I don’t know,” Fitterer added. “I get a sense of where he’s at. But I’m not gonna ask him.”

i know this is typical stuff, but hilarious they think we believe they didnt talk about their favorite QBs in the draft before they traded a future 1, a 2, and DJ moore to the bears for the pick

There was nowhere else they could trade to get a top 2 QB.

I thought it was interesting that the Teppers took their own flight to Columbus. Also interesting that Fit calls them Dave and Nicole. I think Rhule just called them Mr. and Mrs.

I thought there’d be more quotes from more coaches than just from Fit.

I am really enjoying the Deja vu of the 2018 draft, when Mayfield, Darnold, Allen and Rosen all went in the top 10. Only 1 of those 4 QB's ever made a Pro Bowl, and it was the big guy with the physical tools. Seriously, look at the Strengths and Weaknesses below and tell me whether you can guess if this from Richardson or Allen?

Strengths:
  • Great skill set
  • Ideal size for a NFL quarterback
  • Very strong arm
  • Good athlete
  • Excellent mobility
  • Running threat
  • Keeps his eyes downfield as he scrambles
  • Hard to sack
Weaknesses:
  • Has accuracy issues
  • Ball security
  • Decision-making needs to improve
  • Throws too many interceptions
  • Needs to improve ability to throw finesse throws
  • Struggled against better teams
  • Concerns about production and ability to be a clutch performer

I'm guessing AR15 has a lot more Malik Willis in him than Josh Allen, and we saw how that went with the Titans last year when he played.

I am really enjoying the Deja vu of the 2018 draft, when Mayfield, Darnold, Allen and Rosen all went in the top 10. Only 1 of those 4 QB's ever made a Pro Bowl, and it was the big guy with the physical tools. Seriously, look at the Strengths and Weaknesses below and tell me whether you can guess if this from Richardson or Allen?

Strengths:
  • Great skill set
  • Ideal size for a NFL quarterback
  • Very strong arm
  • Good athlete
  • Excellent mobility
  • Running threat
  • Keeps his eyes downfield as he scrambles
  • Hard to sack
Weaknesses:
  • Has accuracy issues
  • Ball security
  • Decision-making needs to improve
  • Throws too many interceptions
  • Needs to improve ability to throw finesse throws
  • Struggled against better teams
  • Concerns about production and ability to be a clutch performer
That same profile could be made for dozens of bad college QBs over the years who never amounted to shit in the NFL. You could also probably take any high-level college linebacker and apply that profile to them as a QB - that doesn't mean they can play QB. If Nolan Smith said he wanted to play QB in the NFL, would you draft him before or after AR?

Josh Allen is the exception, not the norm. He was also a much better college QB than AR. Have you every watched AR play QB for an entire game? He sucks.

That same profile could be made for dozens of bad college QBs over the years who never amounted to shit in the NFL. You could also probably take any high-level college linebacker and apply that profile to them as a QB - that doesn't mean they can play QB. If Nolan Smith said he wanted to play QB in the NFL, would you draft him before or after AR?

Josh Allen is the exception, not the norm. He was also a much better college QB than AR. Have you every watched AR play QB for an entire game? He sucks.

Yes actually, I was at the Florida vs A&M game this past season and except for a couple nice runs I thought Richardson was exceptionally mediocre. Though I would still take him to play QB over Nolan Smith.

I think Richardson is fools gold, but some GM is going to take Richardson in the first round based on his potential and project him as the next Josh Allen.

I think they're going to go CJ because of his size, but man I love bryce.

Yes actually, I was at the Florida vs A&M game this past season and except for a couple nice runs I thought Richardson was exceptionally mediocre. Though I would still take him to play QB over Nolan Smith.

I think Richardson is fools gold, but some GM is going to take Richardson in the first round based on his potential and project him as the next Josh Allen.
The Athletic football pod had a decent view of it. The bust rate for top 10 QBs is like 70%. So if you are going to make a mistake, you might as well make it with an athletic freak. If your pick actually hits, you have Newton or Josh Allen and should be set for a good run.

I mean, I wouldn't draft Richardson, but it at least explains the idea a little better.

Yeah, if you're going to bust on a Top 10 quarterback pick, you're way better off taking a guy who doesn't belong in the first round.

The Athletic football pod had a decent view of it. The bust rate for top 10 QBs is like 70%. So if you are going to make a mistake, you might as well make it with an athletic freak. If your pick actually hits, you have Newton or Josh Allen and should be set for a good run.

I mean, I wouldn't draft Richardson, but it at least explains the idea a little better.
But if you hit with Young you could have a more athletic Drew Brees. Ill take that.

No it doesn't. Richardson has already been a bust at the high college level. They aren't drafting across the board statistics where there is incomplete data because of competition level, surrounding talent, etc.; they are drafting one individual dude who has already proven he is a bust with everything needed around him to succeed.

How many of that 30% hit rate included guys who were high QB recruits out of high school, went to the SEC so had ample opportunity to prove themselves, and still sucked?

No it doesn't. Richardson has already been a bust at the high college level. They aren't drafting across the board statistics where there is incomplete data because of competition level, surrounding talent, etc.; they are drafting one individual dude who has already proven he is a bust with everything needed around him to succeed.

How many of that 30% hit rate included guys who were high QB recruits out of high school, went to the SEC so had ample opportunity to prove themselves, and still sucked?

Uhh, let's be honest here -- AR did not have everything around him he needed to succeed. That team sucked and he wasn't capable of making them better. There's one other player on that offense getting drafted next month and he's an OL. Their offense may actually take a step backwards next year with what they return and Graham Mertz (or somebody else) at the helm.

I want to see AR15 in Seattle. Let him sit and learn behind Geno for a year or 2. Pressing him into action too early could get ugly.

The interesting team to me is Indy. Ballard has commented in the past that if he swings and misses on a QB, he's gonna get fired. Is Levis enough of a sure thing to him and Steichen to take at 4? I'd be nervous if I were Ballard. And maybe that's why they've been the 1st team to say they'll consider Jackson.

yeah i dont agree with that athletic football analysis. that assumes the bust rate is 70% for all types of prospect profiles regardless. id say every athletic freak but unaccurate in college guy has busted except for josh allen.

yeah i dont agree with that athletic football analysis. that assumes the bust rate is 70% for all types of prospect profiles regardless. id say every athletic freak but unaccurate in college guy has busted except for josh allen.
yeah I don't buy this argument that you can mold a bad but athletic QB into an all star. if that was the case you could take any athletic cfb player and teach them the fundamentals of playing QB.

How many highly-skilled and highly-drafted QBs have been busts because they weren't tall enough?

Panthers are drafting Young

Back