• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Masters Thread

Starting next year the individual NCAA Champion will receive an invitation to the Masters. That's a great move
Does the NCAA Champ have to stay in college for the following season to receive the invite?

Only ask because the finalists in the previous year's US Am need to stay as amateurs to receive their Masters exemption.

Does the NCAA Champ have to stay in college for the following season to receive the invite?

Only ask because the finalists in the previous year's US Am need to stay as amateurs to receive their Masters exemption.
Not sure...Ridley just said it in passing at his presser this morning

Probably not - what would happen if a senior won it?

Does he have to stay in college to receive the invite?

Only ask because the finalists in the US Am need to stay as amateurs to receive their Masters exemption.
Starting next year? Gordon Sargent won last year and he's playing in the event this year, so I guess technically it started this year, but I guess Augusta is moving to make it a formal invitation in 2024.

I would have to imagine they would probably need to remain an amateur to retain the invite, as they had done before with the US Am finalists, but I think the USGA allows the winner (but not the runner-up) of the US Amateur to turn professional and still keep their exemption these days.

Starting next year? Gordon Sargent won last year and he's playing in the event this year, so I guess technically it started this year, but I guess Augusta is moving to make it a formal invitation in 2024.

I would have to imagine they would probably need to remain an amateur to retain the invite, as they had done before with the US Am finalists, but I think the USGA allows the winner (but not the runner-up) of the US Amateur to turn professional and still keep their exemption these days.
Sargent just got a special exemption. Maybe it was for winning it, but I think they just wanted him in it this year.

Love the Masters, but always thought the rule was dumb that amateur qualifiers have to remain amateurs to get in. Realize that low amateur is recognized every year, but that seems like a dumb reason to refuse to change the rule.

Yeah my guess is this was a "test run" and was an unofficial plan for the champ (and or they liked Sargent and he won). According to Sargent he was just sitting at home one morning and got a call from an Augusta number saying he'd been invited to the Masters lol

2023 Masters Concessions:

1680625575162.jpeg

3 brewskis, 2 egg salad sandwiches, and a bag of chips for $20. SIGN ME UP.

I'm also on Team Egg Salad and not a big fan of the Bar-B-Que.

Bets that there's no way we lose:

To win:
Rory +1000 (boosted)
JT +2000
Homa +2800
Hideki +4000

T10
Finau +190
Conners +400

H2H R1
Rose (+100) v Hatton

H2H Tourney
Power (+100) v Henley

To miss cut
Phil (-125)

Top debut
Theegala +550
I'm not coming to your Masters dinner, but I agree with most of these. If my memory is correct, every major Rory has won have been in wet conditions. That's also why I love Conners going into this week. Finau too now that he's able to putt on weekends. And I'd like to see Hatton do well so he doesn't engage in self immolation and desecrate the sacred grounds. The 1 disagreement I have is I like Min Wu Lee to be top debut. I think he has major game and will follow his sister in winning 1 or 2. I'd also put Fox over Theegala. Still not sure why Immelman didn't pick those guys last year other than they primarily played the DP. Also like Cam's chances this week, but not so much Will's.

Yeah MWL has a lot of people touting him as a long shot as well as top debut.

I only have Rose v. Hatton because Rose has been dominant in first rounds at Augusta and I probably would've taken him against any folks he could've realistically been paired up with for first round odds H2H

Did Vegas set a line on the O/U for LIV players to make the cut?

Did Vegas set a line on the O/U for LIV players to make the cut?
The LIV guys I could see contending are Reed, DJ and Koepka. The latter 2 based on talent and Reed because he's so full of piss and vinegar against the world. He also had a 2nd place to Rory 2 months ago in Dubai, although he did cheat his way to 2nd. I don't expect Cam Smith to contend even though he has a great record there. He said he spent most of the offseason in Australia not playing golf and hasn't been in good form yet this year. I'd put the o/u at 5.5.

Back