• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Soccer Thread - NCAA Tourney 2nd Round - Hoosiers Visit Spry 5 pm Sunday ESPN+

Not Stanford, but Virginia was for a generation the monkey on our back. And Indiana, dang. Not sure how they stack up this season, but that's a tough bracket historically speaking
Yes, we can look forward to that Virginia physical style in round two. And Indiana has ended our season on a least a couple of occasions, one at Spry when Jordan Morris was there. Chance for redemption!

Edit: Maybe that was Stanford that beat us in Spry. I get those soccer programs confused.

My Hoosiers have been playing at a high level the last month and are coming in hot. Tough draw for both teams imo.

Yes, we can look forward to that Virginia physical style in round two. And Indiana has ended our season on a least a couple of occasions, one at Spry when Jordan Morris was there. Chance for redemption!

Edit: Maybe that was Stanford that beat us in Spry. I get those soccer programs confused.

Yeah. Jordan Morris went to Stanford

Both are shades of red so we’ll give you a pass.

Definitely seems intentional putting 4 ACC teams in same quadrant as top seeds??? Are you absolutely kidding me for the best conference in the land. Just criminal while one has none? They are stacking it to avoid an all ACC final 4.
The quadrant with 4 ACC teams is intentional. Look a little closer and you'll see that SMU and Stanford are also included in the Top 16 seeds. That's a total of eight. Three other ACC teams play first round games. The strongest soccer conference in the NCAA is well represented with nine teams and just gets stronger next year. Needed to ensure the rest of the nation had a chance.

@BlackjackMc the only reason I disliked that last post is because what you said is true. It's not fair and kind of a shitty move by the NCAA.

But, hopefully we can show them who's boss and make it through that quadrant.

@BlackjackMc the only reason I disliked that last post is because what you said is true. It's not fair and kind of a shitty move by the NCAA.

But, hopefully we can show them who's boss and make it through that quadrant.
Thanks for the explanation Oblong. I've caught a little neg rep lately. Gotten a little salty in my old age.

Actually, losing the basketball game Friday night then losing the football game Saturdy afternoon did not sit well with me. It reminded me of years past when the sportscape of Wake Forest was just plain crap.

I don’t get it. Even if you want to intentionally make an ACC quadrant, why stick 4 of the top 5 regular season ACC teams there?

Oh well. Guess we just get to beat the ACC on way to NCAA championship

Unfortunately, the strategy to beat Wake is go out with guns blazing balls to the wall and play physical/hard (not dirty), as well as fast (especially across the midfield line). Wake’s defense tends to have the deer in headlights look when this approach is taken as it is the opposite of their own finesse passing game.

Depending on the ref, the opposing team knows how far they can push the physicality game.

Last edited:
Also to note. The NCAA selection committee has continued to place a HIGH priority on RPI. Our RPI finished at 15 below ND, UNC, and UVa; Clemson obviously won the ACC tourney. I don't think we have much to complain about in terms of where we ended up. I have a good feeling about this team, but still takes quite a bit of luck.

Back