• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 WF Soccer Thread - NCAA Tourney 2nd Round - Hoosiers Visit Spry 5 pm Sunday ESPN+

Last several postseasons looking pretty grim. Program seems to have come full circle and is back to where it was when Muuss first joined as an assistant in the early 2000s.

Just wanted to note that I thought it was an excellent game and one that should have been later in the tournament. IU had a slow start to the season but had been playing at a high level for a while (winning a share of the B1G regular season title and then the B1G tournament) and was a really tough match up for a seeded team in the round of 32.

Just wanted to note that I thought it was an excellent game and one that should have been later in the tournament. IU had a slow start to the season but had been playing at a high level for a while (winning a share of the B1G regular season title and then the B1G tournament) and was a really tough match up for a seeded team in the round of 32.

But combined with a late game equalizer against ND. And an acc tourney loss at home to unc. And then that loss. It all adds to a poor end of the year and predictable poor tourney results

This team will be one of the best in the country next year....I can promise you that! There is a lot to be excited for the future of Wake Forest Soccer!

FWIW, Indiana defeated UVA last weekend to advance to the Elite 8. They play ND to go to the College Cup Final 4. WF's last two games were soul-crushing losses to those two. Also, Stanford upset #1 Marshall 3-0 to advance.

The Final 8 teams consist of:

3 ACC teams (ND, UNC, Clemson)
1 about to be ACC teams (Stanford)
1 Big 10 (Indiana)
1 Sun Belt (WV)
1 West Coast Conference school (LMU)
1 Pac-2 school (Oregon State - the Beavers beat SMU 7-1; ouch)

FWIW, Oregon State beat UNC 1-0.

The final 4 for the College Cup are:

Clemson v. WV
Oregon State v. ND (coincidentally, the same schools play in Biff's Sun Bowl)

Games are on ESPNU tonight.

I agree, but also if Oregon State fielded an ineligible player: 1) how was this not caught by the NCAA/refs and 2) how was it not raised by either coach? It's total garbage they just get to advance TBQH

I agree, but also if Oregon State fielded an ineligible player: 1) how was this not caught by the NCAA/refs and 2) how was it not raised by either coach? It's total garbage they just get to advance TBQH

1 is such a good point. Is there not an oversight reffing body looking at yellow card accumulations? And if it’s up to the university, how can you allow them to continue in the tournament?

Here's an article explaining the circumstances

A Beaver player had accumulated 8 yellow cards leading up to the QF against UNC. Apparently that calls for missed game, but was not caught by anyone. Now, the OSU coach and player are out for the College Cup.

Sorry, not only do I have a hard time feeling even remote sympathy for UNC, the Beavers are heading to Group of 5 oblivion; so, if they can get an NCAA title on their way out, I'm good with that.

Pretty ridiculous that this is not a forfeit. They have time to fix this since the next game hasn’t happened.

Here's an article explaining the circumstances

A Beaver player had accumulated 8 yellow cards leading up to the QF against UNC. Apparently that calls for missed game, but was not caught by anyone. Now, the OSU coach and player are out for the College Cup.

I guess my question is: do the bylaws require a player be told of a suspension or is it on the university to abide by the rules of suspension? And either way, HOW IS THERE NOT A COMPUTER PROGRAM TRACKING THIS?!?!

I guess my question is: do the bylaws require a player be told of a suspension or is it on the university to abide by the rules of suspension? And either way, HOW IS THERE NOT A COMPUTER PROGRAM TRACKING THIS?!?!
Agree with all of that, and would add, how does UNC not have an idea about this in advance of the game? This is the highest level of college soccer; every program has assistants and grad assistants that provide detailed scouting reports of opponents, which should include everything include players that could be suspended or facing a suspension.

Agree with all of that, and would add, how does UNC not have an idea about this in advance of the game? This is the highest level of college soccer; every program has assistants and grad assistants that provide detailed scouting reports of opponents, which should include everything include players that could be suspended or facing a suspension.

It’s a great point. If they inquired before the match and didn’t receive a response, I’m 100% behind allowing UNC to advance instead of Oregon State. Beyond that I don’t know the best solution.

Edit: And it’s a tough look for the UNC coaches if the ND coaches reported it after the fact, which I surmise is what happened.

Absolutely everybody should have known:

1) NCAA obviously (so refs)
2) Oregon State coach who is like damnit we're without this guy now
3) UNC coach who is like oh we don't have to include this guy in the gameplan.

Monumental failure for everybody. I know the logistics are a nightmare, but I feel like this should be a forfeit for Oregon State. Also fuck UNC

I'm also surprised that this didn't happen to Wake. Feels absolutely like something that we'd have occur

Oregon State has attributed it to an accounting error which seems insane.

200w.gif

BTW, I love that this thread is blowing up on a Friday. And I’ll put it out there our incoming freshman look incredible. Next season will be rough but we are going to ball in two years.

Back