• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Carolina Panthers thread - Panthers welcome RB Rashaad Penny

Realize everyone is grasping for NFL news in the off-season, but non-NFL front office people's takes or NFL Team draft grades are meaningless.

NFL teams have more money than God. They have a zillion scouts, analysts, cross checkers and related front office people that redundantly watch every college play of every player drafted or signed as a free agent (in addition to the background checks, talking to college staffs, assistants); just look at the bloated draft "war rooms" during their draft. Each NFL team's analysis is deeper than any NFL draft carnival barker who gets paid for "hot takes". The man hours that each NFL team puts into making their draft picks is multiple times ahead of any individual or third party organization's analysis.

Who cares what PFF, Mel Kiper or any other third party gasbag thinks about a team's draft haul? If these touts were really that perceptive and better than the NFL teams in evaluating talent, they wouldn't be working at PFF, they would be working in an NFL front office.

I get the 10,000 foot takes critiquing the Falcons for taking Penix when the Falcons just signed Cousins (which is blantantly obvious), but will never believe that these third-party touts know more than NFL teams about who was a value pick in the 4th round or 6th round. It's all bullshit.

Realize everyone is grasping for NFL news in the off-season, but non-NFL front office people's takes or NFL Team draft grades are meaningless.

NFL teams have more money than God. They have a zillion scouts, analysts, cross checkers and related front office people that redundantly watch every college play of every player drafted or signed as a free agent (in addition to the background checks, talking to college staffs, assistants); just look at the bloated draft "war rooms" during their draft. Each NFL team's analysis is deeper than any NFL draft carnival barker who gets paid for "hot takes". The man hours that each NFL team puts into making their draft picks is multiple times ahead of any individual or third party organization's analysis.

Who cares what PFF, Mel Kiper or any other third party gasbag thinks about a team's draft haul? If these touts were really that perceptive and better than the NFL teams in evaluating talent, they wouldn't be working at PFF, they would be working in an NFL front office.

I get the 10,000 foot takes critiquing the Falcons for taking Penix when the Falcons just signed Cousins (which is blantantly obvious), but will never believe that these third-party touts know more than NFL teams about who was a value pick in the 4th round or 6th round. It's all bullshit. To
True, but we see a zillion highly paid NFL front office people get things wrong every year, especially from the Panthers.

True, but we see a zillion highly paid NFL front office people get things wrong every year, especially from the Panthers.
Absolutely because projecting who will excel at another level in any sport (football, baseball, even basketball) has many variables that aren't predictable (like who will get hurt; who will stay motivated). This unpredictability makes it even more of a guessing game when one person or even a group tries to evaluate the quality of all 32 NFL teams draft board. Crazy to me that anyone believes that within a day of the draft, they can predict how a group of players from each drafted team will pan out. What a joke.

Agree that the same teams typically draft better than other teams, but any evaluation exercise (right after a draft) is beyond that is foolish. It would make more sense to evaluate the 2021 draft board of each team. That has actual objective criteria that can be used to grade teams against each other.

Absolutely because projecting who will excel at another level in any sport (football, baseball, even basketball) has many variables that aren't predictable (like who will get hurt; who will stay motivated). This unpredictability makes it even more of a guessing game when one person or even a group tries to evaluate the quality of all 32 NFL teams draft board. Crazy to me that anyone believes that within a day of the draft, they can predict how a group of players from each drafted team will pan out. What a joke.

Agree that the same teams typically draft better than other teams, but any evaluation exercise (right after a draft) is beyond that is foolish. It would make more sense to evaluate the 2021 draft board of each team. That has actual objective criteria that can be used to grade teams against each other.

Don’t you spend a considerable time on these boards offering analysis blended with hot takes of various sorts? (This being a prime example.)

Analysis which I find to be very informative, by the way.

As Ph said, many players are busts, so these well-paid draft rooms aren’t always as good as they’re cracked up to be.

Do you not weigh in on our draft classes and portal players? Are not the opinions of writers, reporters, podcasters, etc., whose job it is to analyze the draft, at least as valuable as yours?

You’re treating them like they’re all nothingburgers [/rimshot/]

(I do agree with you that an analysis of the 2-years-ago draft should be a more regular and prominent thing.)

DeacDaddy,

Did you have Jake Irvin last night?

Trying to find select under-valued (or over-valued) teams or individual players is different than evaluating every draft eligble college football player and projecting how each one will perform over the next decade, as the latter seems unknowable and foolish to me. It seems even more foolish for the public to buy into these immediate post-draft grades.

FWIW, the Rams picked the runner-up for the NFL Defensive ROY with their third round pick, Kobie Turner. Then, in the fifth round, the Rams picks the runner-up for the NFL Offensive ROY with Puka Nucua. The Rams made the playoffs last year, when no one thought they would, in large part because of their contributions.

Any of these draft touts have that in their snap-shot post 2023 draft analysis? Doubt it.

Last edited:

I get the 10,000 foot takes critiquing the Falcons for taking Penix when the Falcons just signed Cousins (which is blantantly obvious), but will never believe that these third-party touts know more than NFL teams about who was a value pick in the 4th round or 6th round. It's all bullshit.

Then how do they manage to miss more often than they hit?

FWIW, the Rams picked the runner-up for the NFL Defensive ROY with their third round pick, Kobie Turner. Then, in the fifth round, the Rams picks the runner-up for the NFL Offensive ROY with Puka Nucua. The Rams made the playoffs last year, when no one thought they would, in large part because of their contributions.
In part this just proves that 31 of those well-paid NFL staffs you cite are to some degree just as clueless as everyone else.

Bryce should be eligible for rookie of the year in 2024 given what he had to work with last year. That shouldn't even count

Meh. I agree with you Bryce was behind the 8-ball from the start. But Bryce also looked bad thanks to himself many times. If there were flashes then that would be one thing, but I can barely remember any flashes over 16? games.

So weird that Pilchard all of a sudden started using "tout" as a noun a few weeks ago. I looked up the term and it's legit so it's just weird that Pilch didn't use it before.

You may be right about 99% of the non-NFL 3rd party analysts but you’ll never convince me that cville doesn’t know everything there is to know about every drafted and non-drafted player AND definitely more than these NFL front offices. (Sarcasm).

never mind that, THE Austin Abbott thinks Legette’s ceiling is unmeasurable!

Back