• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 MLB Season: Paul Skenes to Debut On Saturday (5.11) Against the Cubs

i don't watch a ton of baseball, but i've never seen any pitcher ever throw a ball that hard while looking so effortless
Agree. Would think that might help with concern over future injuries. Also, as crazy as it seems, Skenes has not pitched that much. He was recruited out of HS as a position player.

His freshman year at Air Force, Skenes primarily played as a catcher (which is hilarious) and a DH. Skenes only pitched 26 innings in relief. As a sophomore, Skenes pitched for the first time as a starter, and then transferred to LSU for his junior year (his last in college). Even his sophomore year, Skenes only pitched 85 innings (he also DH'd and hit 13 HRs). Now, he is up to MLB after only a handful of minor league starts; so, the wear and tear on Skenes is less than most guys that have been a pitcher only from before HS.

Last edited:
Super two eligibility ≠ a year of service. They’ll still get the 7 years of control unless he finished top 2 in ROY.

Along those lines, I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread or one of the NIL threads. But since I have previously proclaimed Perfect Game to be the worst thing to ever happen to the game of baseball on this thread, I'll keep it here. Earlier this week the Athletic published an article whereby Perfect Game has put language in their youth tournament player/parent participation liability waivers that signs away the player's (most who are under 18) NIL rights to PG in exchange for the privilege of playing in their money-grab radar gun tournaments. The NIL assignment has no end date, so arguably it would extend through the player's college career.

Perfect Game and Fanatics, which outbid Topps for MLB's imagery rights a year or two ago, are entering into a multi-year memorabilia production deal. So basically, starting later this year, PG is going to start selling baseball cards and other memorabilia of its amateur/youth players, with no NIL ramifications.

It is reaching the point where anybody who allows their kid to play in a PG tournament is a moron, for a variety of health and economic reasons. But, as the article says, everyone still does it out of fear of being left behind.

Along those lines, I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread or one of the NIL threads. But since I have previously proclaimed Perfect Game to be the worst thing to ever happen to the game of baseball on this thread, I'll keep it here. Earlier this week the Athletic published an article whereby Perfect Game has put language in their youth tournament player/parent participation liability waivers that signs away the player's (most who are under 18) NIL rights to PG in exchange for the privilege of playing in their money-grab radar gun tournaments. The NIL assignment has no end date, so arguably it would extend through the player's college career.

Perfect Game and Fanatics, which outbid Topps for MLB's imagery rights a year or two ago, are entering into a multi-year memorabilia production deal. So basically, starting later this year, PG is going to start selling baseball cards and other memorabilia of its amateur/youth players, with no NIL ramifications.

It is reaching the point where anybody who allows their kid to play in a PG tournament is a moron, for a variety of health and economic reasons. But, as the article says, everyone still does it out of fear of being left behind.
I’ve said this for many years and on the board before. Perfect Game uses the players to promote their brand, Prep Baseball Report uses their brand to promote the players. PG is flat out awful

I don't know shit but why will he only get 5 starts this year? Is that because he won't start right away?
I meant 5 extra starts. (Those he would potentially make the rest of May.)

However, it is moot because of the calendar change. 15 days in the minors is all it takes to eliminate a year of service. Skenes has over 15 days in the minors already, so, unless he is first or second in Rookie of the Year voting, 2024 will not count as a year of major league service.

They didn’t say “Besties” so I don’t believe there is trademark infringement here.

Haha, as soon as I posted that he gave up a HR

Skenes looked good this afternoon. He averaged 100.2 on his fastball. He gave up a double and a single in the top of the fifth before being lifted with a 6-1 lead. His "relief" got the first two batters out then surrendered a HBP, four straight walks (16 balls and one strike!) and a single. Game was stopped due to rain with the bases loaded and the score tied 6-6. Take Skenes line in the box score with several grains of salt. His easy gas is outstanding.

Question for the board, although most of you are either Braves or Cubs fans.

I'm a Phillies fan as most of you may know, and my question is this: since I have Extra Innings through Xfinity, my cable provider, why is the Phils home broadcast only available for recording within 10 minutes of the game's beginning? At first, I thought it was always the away team that they favor and that seems to hold true unless it's the Phils. Home or away it's never the Phil's broadcast. Any answer to my question will be greatly appreciated.

Skenes was for sure solid. A year ago, the guy was pitching in college. And a few years before that, he was a DH at the AFA. Pretty insane rise. Baseball, I think, is the hardest sport to project talent. There are so many misses in the first round of the draft. Some years, I thinking taking a HS kid is insane, but then I see meh results from college players and think rolling the dice is the only thing that makes sense.

Didn't the Angles one year only draft pitchers?

I swear it looks like Skenes has a couple more mph in reserve.

Skenes throws easy gas. That is what makes him so impressive. His mechanics are repeatable and they exert minimal strain. If he can command 100 mph why try to add extra. He has secondary pitches that bend and fade and has offspeed pitches that change the tempo but still have some gas to them. If he doesn't get upset when MLB hitters square him up (and they will) he will be a top shelf starter.

I don't ever recall a pitcher that threw so hard so easily. He reminds me of Ferguson Jenkins.

If anyone knows how to send a message to Jake Tapper, please tell him to kindly bounce up my ass. As usual I'm recording the Phils in order to watch later this evening at my leisure. Who'd expect to hear the score on a CNN newscast while discussing Donald fucking Trump?

Skeens will not accrue a full year of service time for this season (unless his finishes top 2 in ROY voting).
I was surprised the MLB player’s association didn’t push for more of a change here: all they got was a small concession to count a year of service if they finish in the ROY top 2 vote. Kris Bryant got shortchanged because the cubs kept in the minors a few extra days and it didn’t count towards his years of service

I was surprised the MLB player’s association didn’t push for more of a change here: all they got was a small concession to count a year of service if they finish in the ROY top 2 vote. Kris Bryant got shortchanged because the cubs kept in the minors a few extra days and it didn’t count towards his years of service
is it at all like the NBA where the player's association does a lot to protect veterans but doesn't actually do much to protect rookies?

Back