• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 MLB Season: Paul Skenes to Debut On Saturday (5.11) Against the Cubs

Rays are in St Pete for the long haul after their stadium deal
Let’s see if that deal actually gets done. I’m always skeptical with city of st Pete. Wisely they decided not to put it to a vote this time. It would never have passed.

Downtown St Pete is an amazing area and this stadium area will just make it that much more vibrant. The problem as always is that St Pete is on a Peninsula. Tampa folks would rather travel 90 minutes to Orlando than cross the Howard Franklin or Gandy Bridge to go to St. Pete, 20 minutes away.

So it’s not an old person problem… it’s a weird Pinellas County (St Pete) vs Hillsborough County (Tampa) dynamic. It’s really hard to comprehend unless you’ve lived here.

Let’s see if that deal actually gets done. I’m always skeptical with city of st Pete. Wisely they decided not to put it to a vote this time. It would never have passed.

Downtown St Pete is an amazing area and this stadium area will just make it that much more vibrant. The problem as always is that St Pete is on a Peninsula. Tampa folks would rather travel 90 minutes to Orlando than cross the Howard Franklin or Gandy Bridge to go to St. Pete, 20 minutes away.

So it’s not an old person problem… it’s a weird Pinellas County (St Pete) vs Hillsborough County (Tampa) dynamic. It’s really hard to comprehend unless you’ve lived here.
Part of that problem is traffic - it's 20 minutes from Tampa to St Pete on a good day. When you're playing a 700pm-ish start time, crossing the Bay is an hour-long slog, and there's only so many paths you can use to actually make the trip.

I-4 to Orlando sucks (I've sat in traffic too many times there) but at least there's that innate human nature (that I've used several times) of I can take the back roads. There's so back roads going from Tampa to St Pete.

Giants sign former Cardinals closer Jordan Hicks, and plan to stretch him out as use Hicks as a starter. Throws an easy 100.

Mauer, Beltre and Helton elected to the HOF.

Billy Wagner and Garry Sheffield just miss.

I really don’t get all the Mauer love. He didn’t catch for that long. Helton I’m 50/50 on. Hoping Andruw is in next year. Wagner should be in if Mariano was freaking unanimous.

Was really hoping Wagner would make it this year. I’m obviously biased as an Astros fan, but it’s ridiculous that he is down to his last chance.

The percentages:

Adrian Beltré: 366 votes, 95.1%
Todd Helton: 307 votes, 79.7%
Joe Mauer: 293 votes, 76.1%
Billy Wagner: 284 votes, 73.8%
Gary Sheffield: 246 votes, 63.9%
Andruw Jones: 237 votes, 61.6%
Carlos Beltrán: 220 votes, 57.1%
Alex Rodriguez: 134 votes, 34.8%
Manny Ramirez: 125 votes, 32.5%
Chase Utley: 111 votes, 28.8%
Omar Vizquel: 68 votes, 17.7%
Bobby Abreu: 57 votes, 14.8%
Jimmy Rollins: 57 votes, 14.8%
Andy Pettitte: 52 votes, 13.5%
Mark Buehrle: 32 votes, 8.3%
Francisco Rodriguez: 30 votes, 7.8%
Torii Hunter: 28 votes, 7.3%
David Wright: 24 votes, 6.2%

The following are knocked off future ballots:
José Bautista: 6 votes, 1.6%
Victor Martinez: 6 votes, 1.6%
Bartolo Colon: 5 votes, 1.3%
Matt Holliday: 4 votes, 1%
Adrián González: 3 votes, 0.8%
Brandon Phillips: 1 vote, 0.3%
Jose Reyes: 0 votes, 0%
James Shields: 0 votes, 0%

Noted 5-time all-star Todd Helton in ahead of Bonds, A-rod, Clemens, and Sheffield...

At this point, HOF is a complete joke.

Last edited:
This was Sheffield's last season to be voted in. It's now up to the veteran's committee for him. Helton's home stats (Colorado --- 119 OPS+) crushed his road stats (80 OPS+ which is not HOF worthy) makes it hard to understand how he was voted in.

On the MLB front, Rhys Hoskins signed with the Brewers yesterday, and the Dodgers gave out another $11 million to James Paxton.

This was Sheffield's last season to be voted in. It's now up to the veteran's committee for him. Helton's home stats (Colorado --- 119 OPS+) crushed his road stats (80 OPS+ which is not HOF worthy) makes it hard to understand how he was voted in.

On the MLB front, Rhys Hoskins signed with the Brewers yesterday, and the Dodgers gave out another $11 million to James Paxton.
That's like 15 million Loonies, eh?

Hall of Fame is a joke.
Mauer gets in with: 2009 MVP, 6x All Star, 3x Gold Glove, 5x Silver Slugger, 3x AL Batting Champ, .306 BA, 2123 Hits, 923 RBI, 143 HR
Dale Murphy not in with: 1982 and 1983 MVP, 7x All-Star, 5x Gold Glove, 4x Silver Slugger, 2x NL Home run leader, 2x NL RBI leader, .265 BA, 2111 Hits, 1266 RBI, 398 HR

Guess waiting until the end of January may not have been the best idea:

Back