• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 MLB Season: Pitchers' Elbows Are Blowing Up...

Wow. FWIW, its seats 10K, but up to 14K can attend with the grass seating. Amazingly, the A's attendance will rise playing in a park with a 10K capacity:

femb7chulgir0w06rgbw

Where will the existing Sacramento AAA team play?

NL East collective record to date:

7-21

Against other divisions: 4-18.

Mets and Stephen Cohen's millions 0-5
Marlins and their pitching injuries 0-7

Where will the existing Sacramento AAA team play?
They'll play in the same park. Between the A's and the River Cats, there will be baseball basically every day in Sacremento for the next three summers. AAA baseball scheduling is now at least helped by the fact that teams play a full six game series at the same time for the most part, so that should help cutting down on overlap. AAA also normally is dark on Mondays too, so that gives some more flexibility.

Looking forward to knocking that park off my list next spring/summer to keep my 30/30 active Major League Parks intact.

They'll play in the same park. Between the A's and the River Cats, there will be baseball basically every day in Sacremento for the next three summers. AAA baseball scheduling is now at least helped by the fact that teams play a full six game series at the same time for the most part, so that should help cutting down on overlap. AAA also normally is dark on Mondays too, so that gives some more flexibility.

Looking forward to knocking that park off my list next spring/summer to keep my 30/30 active Major League Parks intact.
Need to get to Oakland sometime this summer before they pack it up. If you go and sit in the upper deck they send someone to suck your dick, right?

NL East collective record to date:

7-21

Against other divisions: 4-18.

Mets and Stephen Cohen's millions 0-5
Marlins and their pitching injuries 0-7
The Mets really shifted their mindset in the off-season. They are looking more at longer-term development than just spending shit tons of money trying to win immediately. Of Cours, so much of the Cohens aforementioned millions is wrapped up in dead money anyway.

There is very little optimism around the program right now.

Need to get to Oakland sometime this summer before they pack it up. If you go and sit in the upper deck they send someone to suck your dick, right?
I think I paid something like $10 to sit 10 rows behind home and that was in 2019.

I've got a family wedding in the SF area in September and my Yankees are playing out there that weekend, think I might try to take in Sunday's game.

Orioles/Pirates playing in the snow ❄️

Will there be anyone left to pitch by the end of the season?

That dude's reasoning ignores the obvious. I've said it for the past few years, Perfect Game is killing baseball for the upcoming generation. Kids are pitching primarily to a radar gun and spin rate starting at 11 and 12 years old, instead of simply worrying about balls, strikes, and getting batters out. It's just a numbers game of how many arm blowouts that ultimately causes as pitchers get into their late teens and twenties. It used to be that TJ surgery was dominated by MLB; now, youth baseball makes up the highest percentage of TJ surgeries by far. Obviously, a lot of that is due to the lopsided numbers, but nobody had heard of a kid even needing TJ surgery until a few years ago. Velo (both pitching and exit) is the only thing that matters now.

I have a kid on my middle school team who is throwing 85 at 14 years old. It is cool to watch, but his arm will be done in a few years. But hey he got some cool PG hats and in a bunch of social media posts. My hardest task is getting him to throw in the 70s so he can throw strikes and actually get some outs if kids aren't just chasing him. I have another kid who has already had 2 arm surgeries at 14 from travel ball, so he can't pitch any more at all. But he got those cool plastic trophies, and PG made a shitton of money.

would also guess the quantity of pitches kids throw now is as high as it has ever been as kids start specializing younger and younger and play one sport year round

That dude's reasoning ignores the obvious. I've said it for the past few years, Perfect Game is killing baseball for the upcoming generation. Kids are pitching primarily to a radar gun and spin rate starting at 11 and 12 years old, instead of simply worrying about balls, strikes, and getting batters out. It's just a numbers game of how many arm blowouts that ultimately causes as pitchers get into their late teens and twenties. It used to be that TJ surgery was dominated by MLB; now, youth baseball makes up the highest percentage of TJ surgeries by far. Obviously, a lot of that is due to the lopsided numbers, but nobody had heard of a kid even needing TJ surgery until a few years ago. Velo (both pitching and exit) is the only thing that matters now.

I have a kid on my middle school team who is throwing 85 at 14 years old. It is cool to watch, but his arm will be done in a few years. But hey he got some cool PG hats and in a bunch of social media posts. My hardest task is getting him to throw in the 70s so he can throw strikes and actually get some outs if kids aren't just chasing him. I have another kid who has already had 2 arm surgeries at 14 from travel ball, so he can't pitch any more at all. But he got those cool plastic trophies, and PG made a shitton of money.
"
As someone who is three years younger than Greg Maddux and played as the opposing Sophomore shortstop when the Senior John Smoltz was the other teams shortstop this answer is very simple. Overuse at a way to early age. I watched Tommy John pitch. I remember watching his arm go out. Now it happens to college kids. Tommy John was OLD.

If you played baseball and were born before 1970, in high school and middle school you played three sports. You played more than that probably in the summer if you include things like riding bikes, fishing, tennis, golf, bowling, roller skating, swimming, climbing, you get the point. Do kids do that stuff today? In the past 20 years?

In addition to running my business I coach Hs football as an assistant and we had a 9th grade father instruct (polite word) the Varsity baseball coach that his son isn’t to pitch because he pitches with a pitching coach in the spring to prepare for his “travel ball team season.” So this 14 year old, yet to be fully mature child is going to over use tendons throwing pitches his arm isn’t strong enough to handle and do so for a “team” he pays to be a part of. But let’s assume dad is right and he gets to the majors, and he becomes the subject of an article like this one. Ten years from now after he’s been repeatedly putting this unnecessary torque on his shoulder and arm his doctor puts him on the shelf and tells him he needs surgery. This after he’s thrown in spring training, summer season, fall league, and probably with a “pitching coach” who he hired on his own to get that edge in the off season.

Well guys like Greg Maddux and Jack Morris played basketball in the winter, golf, football, or cross country in the fall. And John Smoltz was such a good golfer he could have been a PGA pro. He was all state here in Michigan in golf, basketball, and baseball and many think in the 80’s baseball was his third best sport.

We are killing our boys with travel ball and the indoor Baseball pitching facilities. Let boys be boys when they are boys, or the men will be forced to give up the game they all hoped to play as men when they were boys. Just another perfect example of how us adults kill a good thing (youth sports) for kids because we try to make it something WE WANT because of something we didn’t get as a child."

This was a comment left under this article that I completely agreed with expanding on a similar point.

would also guess the quantity of pitches kids throw now is as high as it has ever been as kids start specializing younger and younger and play one sport year round
Not only the year round play, but the number of games themselves. It used to be everyone played Little League and it was 2 games a week on like a Saturday and Wednesday throughout the spring, maybe the top pitcher pitched in one of them or parts of both. Now nobody plays Little League at all except those who can't afford travel, and these travel tournaments are 5 games in 2 days - Saturday and Sunday - which is completely absurd relative to any baseball that actually matters. The coaches that know what they are doing (relatively speaking) will have Saturday pitchers for pool play, not worry about seeding, and have Sunday pitchers for bracket play. The coaches chasing the plastic and Instagram will often pitch their ace a few innings on Saturday to try to get a higher bracket seed, and then bring him back on Sunday. Add in practice, pitching lessons, and school ball during the week and it is a recipe for disaster.

A guy in Charlotte who runs an absolutely despicable travel program (but gets paid, as most of them do) had a 13 year old throw 140 pitches in 2 days this past fall - high 70s / low 80s. The kid is still playing for him despite the likely forthcoming major injury.

Last edited:
"
As someone who is three years younger than Greg Maddux and played as the opposing Sophomore shortstop when the Senior John Smoltz was the other teams shortstop this answer is very simple. Overuse at a way to early age. I watched Tommy John pitch. I remember watching his arm go out. Now it happens to college kids. Tommy John was OLD.

If you played baseball and were born before 1970, in high school and middle school you played three sports. You played more than that probably in the summer if you include things like riding bikes, fishing, tennis, golf, bowling, roller skating, swimming, climbing, you get the point. Do kids do that stuff today? In the past 20 years?

In addition to running my business I coach Hs football as an assistant and we had a 9th grade father instruct (polite word) the Varsity baseball coach that his son isn’t to pitch because he pitches with a pitching coach in the spring to prepare for his “travel ball team season.” So this 14 year old, yet to be fully mature child is going to over use tendons throwing pitches his arm isn’t strong enough to handle and do so for a “team” he pays to be a part of. But let’s assume dad is right and he gets to the majors, and he becomes the subject of an article like this one. Ten years from now after he’s been repeatedly putting this unnecessary torque on his shoulder and arm his doctor puts him on the shelf and tells him he needs surgery. This after he’s thrown in spring training, summer season, fall league, and probably with a “pitching coach” who he hired on his own to get that edge in the off season.

Well guys like Greg Maddux and Jack Morris played basketball in the winter, golf, football, or cross country in the fall. And John Smoltz was such a good golfer he could have been a PGA pro. He was all state here in Michigan in golf, basketball, and baseball and many think in the 80’s baseball was his third best sport.

We are killing our boys with travel ball and the indoor Baseball pitching facilities. Let boys be boys when they are boys, or the men will be forced to give up the game they all hoped to play as men when they were boys. Just another perfect example of how us adults kill a good thing (youth sports) for kids because we try to make it something WE WANT because of something we didn’t get as a child."

This was a comment left under this article that I completely agreed with expanding on a similar point.
We have a kid on our school team now who has left multiple practices for his "pitching lessons", and the one time we actually tried to put him in the game (on a Monday) to pitch, he told us that he had thrown 40 pitches the day before for his travel team in a scrimmage. Needless to say, he did not get in the game, has not seen the field since, and won't for the rest of the season.

Back