• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 PGA Tour thread

Alex off to a decent start outside of Delhi at -3 with the leaders at -7. Really interesting Gary Player design with more elevation change than any course I've ever seen and has distinctive revetted bunkers - a cool aesthetic. Soderberg had the most interesting round with 9 birdies but only in at -1 because of 2 snowmen.

And Alex misses the cut going +9 for the day, aided by a 9 on the par 4 9th. That course is gettable but has narrow fairways with a bunch of water, red and white stakes. Lots of doubles and triples there.

I've never cared for any of the Houston courses but caught some of the action this weekend. The renovation there is pretty cool, and the raised, table top greens with run offs on all sides made for tough scoring. I also like that they made the rough Augusta like to lure more good players there as a Masters tune-up. And while Scottie just missed out on his turkey of 3 straight wins, Nelly Korda did record her own in Tucson. First American to do that since Nancy Lopez. And Jen had her 1st top 10 in forever. Hope that's a good sign.

I've never cared for any of the Houston courses but caught some of the action this weekend. The renovation there is pretty cool, and the raised, table top greens with run offs on all sides made for tough scoring. I also like that they made the rough Augusta like to lure more good players there as a Masters tune-up. And while Scottie just missed out on his turkey of 3 straight wins, Nelly Korda did record her own in Tucson. First American to do that since Nancy Lopez. And Jen had her 1st top 10 in forever. Hope that's a good sign.
Was thinking about Scottie's miss on 18, and Tiger is the only golfer in my lifetime who comes to mind who under no circumstances during his prime would have missed that 5-footer to either win or get into a playoff (or just by being in the same group and watching closely, caused his opponent to miss the same). And that says a lot more about Tiger than all the other great golfers , given the random nature of trying to force a roughly 2" ball into a 4" cup.

Last edited:
Was thinking about Scottie's miss on 18, and Tiger is the only golfer in my lifetime who comes to mind who under no circumstances during his prime would have missed that 5-footer to either win or get into a playoff (or just by being in the same group and watching closely, caused his opponent to miss the same). And that says a lot more about Tiger than all the other great golfers , given the random nature of trying to force a roughly 2" ball into a 4" cup.
2 greatest players in history Jack and Tiger, also happen to probably be the 2 best pressure putters ever.

The first thing my grandfather taught me when he got me my first set of clubs was “you drive for show, and you putt for dough!”

2 greatest players in history Jack and Tiger, also happen to probably be the 2 best pressure putters ever.
I don't think Scottie is a bad pressure putter. He just plain isn't a good putter to begin with. And his stroke doesn't often look bad, especially with the mallet now. I just don't think he's a good green reader. That said, the last year +, he's been on the best ball striking heater that we've ever seen and 1 that prime Tiger would have even envied. When he has average putting weeks, he's gonna win.

And I mentioned Nelly earlier. She's missed a fair amount of time the last couple of years due to injury, but now she is once again world #1. We've been waiting for an American to be a dominant force in the women's game since Stacy Lewis had her 3 year run. We thought we were going to get that from Lexi, but she just turned out to be the most talented head case ever. But it looks like we have that now with Nelly with 2 big events coming up with the match play at Shadow Creek and the ANA. Too bad the ANA is at a boring Houston course and not Mission Hills. But if you haven't seen Shadow Creek, check it out.

I know weather is crazy here and things can change quickly but as of now, Gonna be a wet week in Augusta.

The pace at which the last three holes have been played has been awful and now we apparently have a stoppage to get taped up???

It's the most extra, home school kid shit I've ever seen in golf.
Yeah, golf isn’t a team sport where you put in another guy in, while another gets treatment. He shouldn’t be able to basically leave the hole to get “treatment.” At least Denny chunked his wedge before that, imagine if he’d done that after having to wait while his opponent to gets tapped after a “fist pumping injury.” I’m sure he would’ve went ahead and hit his shot, but still.

The shoulder taping incident raises questions.

1) If you are timed on the Tour, does taping stop the clock for an "injury timeout" and, if so, where is that in the rulebook? (At their level, rules mean a ton). Maybe it's in the rulebook. I'll never play at this level so never bothered to look.
2) If a player claims he's injured does he come off the clock and get unlimited time for treatment? Granted, today they hurried to remedy the situation but what if they took much longer? Is that also allowed?
3) Is a third party intervening on behalf of a player, which possibly changes the player's ability either positively or negatively, similar to a player altering their club which is a no-no during a round?

I'm not wound tight enough to lose sleep over this but I do think today's events might raise some conversation on the topic.

The shoulder taping incident raises questions.

1) If you are timed on the Tour, does taping stop the clock for an "injury timeout" and, if so, where is that in the rulebook? (At their level, rules mean a ton). Maybe it's in the rulebook. I'll never play at this level so never bothered to look.
2) If a player claims he's injured does he come off the clock and get unlimited time for treatment? Granted, today they hurried to remedy the situation but what if they took much longer? Is that also allowed?
3) Is a third party intervening on behalf of a player, which possibly changes the player's ability either positively or negatively, similar to a player altering their club which is a no-no during a round?

I'm not wound tight enough to lose sleep over this but I do think today's events might raise some conversation on the topic.
I didn't get why he couldn't just hit the wedge. I was rooting for him but found that to be unnecessary. McCarthy just chunked his wedge into the creek and handed you the tourney. After hitting a drive and longer iron, you couldn't hit the lob wedge? Why prolong McCarthy's misery? That said, -20 is ridiculous on that course, as was McCarthy going 8 under on the back. As for the rule book, you are allowed to get treatment on the course for an injury, and they'll let you take a reasonable amount of time for that treatment before you have to withdraw. See Will Zalatoris.

And Nelly did win her 4th in a row over a really good match play golfer (and Euro Dukie, so yay). Impressive heater, and next week is the 1st major.

So why isn't Shadow Creek in the major rota? It's an extremely difficult course and gorgeous. It'd be perfect for a PGA in May. I've similarly wondered why they don't play a major at Spyglass. I know Spyglass would have limits on the number of spectators, but so does Kiawah.

Back