• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 PGA Tour thread

I've always thought that if I ever went to The Masters, it would be cool to wait until the final group of the day was on hole 14 or so, start back at #1 and walk the entire course with pretty much no spectators nearby.
I did this at Augusta during the Wednesday practice round when everyone left the course to go watch the par three. We walked the course and pretty much had it to ourselves - other than the maintenance crew manicuring it to perfection for the next day.

A lot of likeable guys around the top of the leaderboard. Too bad we all had to stop watching in the middle of the back 9 because the finishes there always seem interesting. And too bad Cam's putter left him over the weekend - saw at least 2 3 putts. Was kinda rooting for Hoffman who I hadn't seen in contention for forever. But I like Taylor too. And it seems like there is a law that requires Scheffler to have a top 10 finish in every tourney.

What architecture? That place is as soulless as Doral. However it's way more fun to play.
Correct. And it isn't close to the best course in Scottsdale. Desert Mountain up the street has 6 courses that are better, for example, never mind Estancia, Greyhawk, etc. Its bad architecture generally holds true for TPC courses, as they were mostly built in the 1980s to maximize spectator viewing.

But even at a dud of a course, following a group for all or most of a round is very worthwhile. You watch how they manage a course, hit a variety of shots, and work around the greens.

Correct. And it isn't close to the best course in Scottsdale. Desert Mountain up the street has 6 courses that are better, for example, never mind Estancia, Greyhawk, etc. Its bad architecture generally holds true for TPC courses, as they were mostly built in the 1980s to maximize spectator viewing.

But even at a dud of a course, following a group for all or most of a round is very worthwhile. You watch how they manage a course, hit a variety of shots, and work around the greens.
Didn't our women win at Greyhawk last year? I watched a couple days of that, and it was visually interesting.

That finish was incredible. Really thought Theegala was going to keep it rolling after what happened last year, then it felt like another automatic Scheffler win. Loved the announcers ripping Taylor for laying up on the par 5 while chasing down Charley Hoffman of all people. Poor Charley, that run down the stretch wins maybe 90% of the time or more...

I'm in a 60 person double surviver league and nobody has picked a winner yet this season for the first time in the history of the pool. Bonkers. That means The Genesis will be won by Chase Johnson, Patrick Rogers, or Ben Griffin I guess...

Unbelievable that Nick Taylor birdied #18 three times in a row to win the WM Open. 442 yard par 4 with water and tons of fairway bunkers.

That hole played over par for the tournament 4.126 (5th hardest hole for the event). Taylor had to birdie it to force the playoff; he then birdied it twice in the playoff. That's is just insanely hard to do. Got to say I agreed with the criticism of Taylor for laying up on 15 as he was three shots back of Hoffman at the time, and Taylor was in the fairway with a reasonable shot to reach in two. Nick knew better. Man, he can putt when the pressure is on.

And twice he drove it in the right bunker but with just enough heat on it to get it to pop out into the rough so he could go at the pin.

If Jack saw that at Muirfield it'd be less than 24 hours after the tournament and they'd be digging the trap out and expanding it to make sure that never happened again...

Give me both courses at We-Ko-Pa or Troon North over TPC anyday.

And twice he drove it in the right bunker but with just enough heat on it to get it to pop out into the rough so he could go at the pin.

If Jack saw that at Muirfield it'd be less than 24 hours after the tournament and they'd be digging the trap out and expanding it to make sure that never happened again...
Great post. What they should do is switch the right bunkers with the left and put the church pews on the right side. I've seen a few folks in those church pews on the left, and it can be a full stroke penalty.

That finish was incredible. Really thought Theegala was going to keep it rolling after what happened last year, then it felt like another automatic Scheffler win. Loved the announcers ripping Taylor for laying up on the par 5 while chasing down Charley Hoffman of all people. Poor Charley, that run down the stretch wins maybe 90% of the time or more...

I'm in a 60 person double surviver league and nobody has picked a winner yet this season for the first time in the history of the pool. Bonkers. That means The Genesis will be won by Chase Johnson, Patrick Rogers, or Ben Griffin I guess...
"Shades of Chip Beck at Augusta"

And he makes birdie the old fashioned way.

Was it Curtis Strange that caught grief for laying up on both back nine par 5s at Augusta one year when he was in contention?
My hazy memory says he should have laid up and that he went in the creek on 13 and maybe went in the pond on 15.

My hazy memory says he should have laid up and that he went in the creek on 13 and maybe went in the pond on 15.
Maybe I had it backwards? I remember a year when someone laid up on both and got grief for it and I thought it was a Deacon...

Maybe I had it backwards? I remember a year when someone laid up on both and got grief for it and I thought it was a Deacon...
Other than Chip Beck? Or maybe he only laid up on 15 but he caught, and continues to catch hell for it.

Well Zack Jonson did it but he went on to win because it rained, and everyone had to lay up.
fify. It's kinda funny because they're totally different players, but Zach and Rory have only won majors on wet courses. I followed them in the same pairing at East Lake for a few holes, and it was reminiscent of Tiger and Dimarco.

Yes, Strange definitely went swimming. Could have won/should have won the Masters despite an opening round 80.

is Caleb Surratt related at all to Sage and Chazz?

It's way early, but Will Z if off to flying start a the Genesis -5 through the first 7 holes (tied with Cantlay and Speith for the lead). Impressive as this is a tough track.

Back