• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

The latest forecast seems to show that weather is unlikely to be a major problem tonight.
It’s the rest of the weekend that’s not great, which is why I thought they’d play two today. Unless I’m missing something, assuming we win tonight, a washout causing a split series benefits State more than us.

It’s the rest of the weekend that’s not great, which is why I thought they’d play two today. Unless I’m missing something, assuming we win tonight, a washout causing a split series benefits State more than us.
A split series is prolly fine for us to given where we sit today. We have a ways to go to win this series.

With all of the time confusion on different websites, the game tonight is at 7, right?

you can play sloppy defense, walk a lot of guys or hit poorly / unlucky with RISP, but you can't do all three

we went 0-8 with RISP last night (kurtz did draw a walk), all in the first six innings (overall had 9 LOB, of which 7 were RISP) even if we just get two singles there instead of zero, it's probably back to a 50/50 game.

on defense it's unrealistic to expect every play to be made (especially on the road), but i count the triple where winnay got frightened by the wall, the liner that went in and out of kurtz glove, the error by javar, the silly pickoff throw to third and of course the balk. pretty bad. morales did look pretty competent in centerfield, though.

Last edited:
The final score is whatever since we just kicked it after 7, but we just shot ourselves in the foot over and over again. Falco left the game tied with their Friday starter (yes he was responsible for the 2 on base), and that's realistically the best you can ask our makeshift day to be right now.

The Gill throw to third was just terrible and should never be made by a guy of his caliber defensively. He got baited by State and took it.

The balk (BS) and walks continue to pile up and hurt us, and I know Muscara is just yelling at them to throw strikes and not get too cute.

Guessing Avent will do everything in his power to not play tomorrow, so let's get a big Burns outing tonight. I hope they keep flashing up that stupid graphic about how State doesn't strike out when Burns has fanned 13 in 5 innings.

The final score is whatever since we just kicked it after 7, but we just shot ourselves in the foot over and over again. Falco left the game tied with their Friday starter (yes he was responsible for the 2 on base), and that's realistically the best you can ask our makeshift day to be right now.

The Gill throw to third was just terrible and should never be made by a guy of his caliber defensively. He got baited by State and took it.

The balk (BS) and walks continue to pile up and hurt us, and I know Muscara is just yelling at them to throw strikes and not get too cute.

I would disagree with this -- we throw more cross-count than any other team in the country (e.g. throwing a breaking ball on a 2-0 count). I don't question the strategy since overall I think it's paid off, but our pitching approach is definitely what some would describe as "getting cute." My guess is that it hurts younger pitchers who aren't used to it, but ends up good for development.

Meh, games like yesterday happen, especially when it's a bullpen game vs a Friday starter. Anyone just looking at the score won't really understand that it was a competitive baseball game for most of it, that is until Walter gave up and threw Shenosky/Gervase/Koshy out there when it was still 7-3. I don't love that choice, but I do get it.

Anyone overreacting and calling our bullpen trash is a moron. Leffew wasn't great, but is a proven piece at this point and what happened wasn't entirely his fault. And then Morningstar and Wade did just fine, I'll take 1 ER and 2.1 IP from those guys combined with no complaints. Those are the guys that matter, as it's pretty likely that we won't even see Gervase or Koshy pitch again the rest of this season, and Shenosky will only pitch in blowouts from this point on. So getting worked up about the shit performance in the 8th seems silly.

Meh, games like yesterday happen, especially when it's a bullpen game vs a Friday starter. Anyone just looking at the score won't really understand that it was a competitive baseball game for most of it, that is until Walter gave up and threw Shenosky/Gervase/Koshy out there when it was still 7-3. I don't love that choice, but I do get it.

Anyone overreacting and calling our bullpen trash is a moron. Leffew wasn't great, but is a proven piece at this point and what happened wasn't entirely his fault. And then Morningstar and Wade did just fine, I'll take 1 ER and 2.1 IP from those guys combined with no complaints. Those are the guys that matter, as it's pretty likely that we won't even see Gervase or Koshy pitch again the rest of this season, and Shenosky will only pitch in blowouts from this point on. So getting worked up about the shit performance in the 8th seems silly.

People like Leffew on these boards, and obviously he has good stuff and potential. But so far he's only proven to be really bad. He has 16 walks (+2 HBP) vs. only 12 Ks in 14.1 innings pitched in conference games. By peripheral stats he has been really horrible -- worse than anyone except Gervase and Koshy, despite that great outing against Clemson. They haven't pitched a ton, but Ariola and Wade have both been much more effective than Leffew.

1715960457729-png.9398

Last edited:
People like Leffew on these boards, and obviously he has good stuff and potential. But so far he's only proven to be really bad. He has 16 walks (+2 HBP) vs. only 12 Ks in 14.1 innings pitched in conference games. By peripheral stats he has been really horrible -- worse than anyone except Gervase and Koshy, despite that great outing against Clemson. They haven't pitched a ton, but Ariola and Wade have both been much more effective than Leffew.
If you can share, how would you rank the WF pitchers in conference games this year?

We all know #1, but would be curious beyond that.

Thanks. Had heard that Hartle had been particularly unlucky. Those stats support that.

1715960457729-png.9398
Haven't shared my leffew take on here, but I like him for his potential. I agree his stats definitely put him closer to the bottom end of our bullpen than the top.

Hard throwing lefty freshman. When he's on he looks good. When he's not it's BP or a walk parade. I think he gets a pretty rattled at times. The whole balk fiasco didn't help. Hoping this early exposure calms him for the future. Personally there's just some guys who can't be trusted to come on with runners on in high pressure situations.

Back