• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Their bracketology projections have some projections explicitly involved (which is discussed in their nerdcast podcast/youtube), but that doesn't apply to their rankings. Granted, there is an overlap in the people who decide both, so I don't think it's total coincidence that they are somewhat similar, but while we happened to be 8th in both, most teams were not. For example, Clemson was ranked 4th but placed as the #6 seed, Duke was ranked 11th but was not a national seed, etc.

pitt has by far the worst offense in the acc (despite a relatively easy conference slate), but they are streaking a bit, especially this guy who we will likely face who sucked the whole season until three weeks ago: https://pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/baseball/roster/ryan-andrade/13092

maybe this is the type of offense falco can be effective against for 4+ innings. but trickier than i was hoping for.

I desperately want to believe in this team, but its hard.

WF is 36-19, and 13-2 in Chase Burns starts. So, when Burns does not start, WF 23-17. That includes at least a handful of wins against teams with no pulse (NC A&T twice, Binghamton twice, Fordham). Taking out those games, WF is essentially a .500 team when Burns doesn't start and WF plays a top 100 team.

In ACC games started by Burns, WF is 8-2 (should be 9-1), with anyone else starting WF has a 7-13 ACC mark, that's Pitt/BC level bad.

In that light, just not sure how the 2024 Deacs pull off any or all of the following:

a) Winning three other ACCT games when Burns is not starting this week
b) Winning a regional, when WF must win at least two other games when Burns does not start
c) FWIW, while unlikely depending on the opponent, winning a super-regional seems the most doable, as if Burns wins his start, WF needs to go 1-1 in the other two games
d) In the unlikely event WF makes to Omaha, winning the necessary (3,4 or 5 other games when Burns isn't starting)

FWIW, Pitt's likely starter on Wednesday is Ryan Andrade, he has struggled for most of the season (6.93 ERA), but his last three outings have been solid:

May 3rd ND: 7.1 IP 5 H 1 ER 2 BB 7 Ks Pitt win
May 10th FSU: 7 IP 3 H 0 ER 3 BB 8 Ks Pitt win
May 16th Miami: 4.1 IP 4 H 1 ER 4 BB 6Ks

So, in his last three starts, he 18.2 IP 12 H 2 ER 9 BB 19 Ks 0.96 ERA 1.12 WHIP. Perhaps, I Appreciate can dig in and find the analytical flaws in those numbers.

Maybe, the breakout is coming starting this week, but just hard to see the signs for significant hope.

I desperately want to believe in this team, but its hard.

WF is 36-19, and 13-2 in Chase Burns starts. So, when Burns does not start, WF 23-17. That includes at least a handful of wins against teams with no pulse (NC A&T twice, Binghamton twice, Fordham). Taking out those games, WF is essentially a .500 team when Burns doesn't start and WF plays a top 100 team.

In ACC games started by Burns, WF is 8-2 (should be 9-1), with anyone else starting WF has a 7-13 ACC mark, that's Pitt/BC level bad.

In that light, just not sure how the 2024 Deacs pull off any or all of the following:

b) Winning a regional, when WF must win at least two other games when Burns does not start
c) FWIW, while unlikely depending on the opponent, winning a super-regional seems the most doable, as if Burns wins his start, WF needs to go 1-1 in the other two games
d) In the unlikely event WF makes to Omaha, winning the necessary (3,4 or 5 other games when Burns isn't starting)

FWIW, Pitt's likely starter on Wednesday is Ryan Andrade, he has struggled for most of the season (6.93 ERA), but his last three outings have been solid:

May 3rd ND: 7.1 IP 5 H 1 ER 2 BB 7 Ks Pitt win
May 10th FSU: 7 IP 3 H 0 ER 3 BB 8 Ks Pitt win
May 16th Miami: 4.1 IP 4 H 1 ER 4 BB 6Ks

So, in his last three starts, he 18.2 IP 12 H 2 ER 9 BB 19 Ks 0.96 ERA 1.12 WHIP. Perhaps, I Appreciate can dig in and find the analytical flaws in those numbers.

Maybe, the breakout is coming starting this week, but just hard to see the signs for significant hope.
Are you removing the record from the aces or other teams with this comparison?

Are you removing the record from the aces or other teams with this comparison?
Nope, but Burns is the best pitcher in the ACC; so, the difference between Burns and the rest of the WF pitching staff is bigger than any other ACC team between their ace and the rest of their staff.

This isn't like like last year, when Lowder was dominant, but WF could back him up with Sullivan, Keener, an effective Hartle, even Reed Mascolo.

Nope, but Burns is the best pitcher in the ACC; so, the difference between Burns and the rest of the WF pitching staff is bigger than any other ACC team between their ace and the rest of their staff.

This isn't like like last year, when Lowder was dominant, but WF could back him up with Sullivan, Keener, an effective Hartle, even Reed Mascolo.
Right, but we’re not required to not play Burns any more than others are asked to go without theirs.

I mean the obvious answer is also the simplest: Josh Hartle has to be good. If he is in his postseason starts, this Wake team could go far.

Also, it's worth pointing out that almost every team has a massively uphill climb to make Omaha and win the CWS. It's incredibly rare that a team will cruise into Omaha the way Wake did last year. I mean 7 out of the top 16 regional hosts last year didn't even make it out of their regional, and only 4 of those 9 that did made Omaha.

I mean the obvious answer is also the simplest: Josh Hartle has to be good. If he is in his postseason starts, this Wake team could go far.

Also, it's worth pointing out that almost every team has a massively uphill climb to make Omaha and win the CWS. It's incredibly rare that a team will cruise into Omaha the way Wake did last year. I mean 7 out of the top 16 regional hosts last year didn't even make it out of their regional, and only 4 of those 9 that did made Omaha.
Last year was our year. Too bad we went up against Paul Skenes

We are going to rock Ryan Andrade. Unless there is some reason to think he has improved, I will take season stats over the most recent three starts. Also

4.1 IP 4 H 1 ER 4 BB 6Ks

in his last start screams lucky to only give up 1 run to me.

Getting tagged for 10 runs each against Duke and Virginia did crush his ERA.

I know many of you have been discouraged by our team's performance this season. The struggles have been real, and the path to success has looked rocky at times. But I'm here to tell you that you're wrong to count this group out. This 2024 squad is different, battle-tested, and primed to shock the college baseball world with a cohesive, triumphant run to the College World Series in Omaha.

The key difference maker? Cole Roland's zyn consumption. That young man is zyn'd up and dialed in, ready to be the catalyst that powers this team. And you know those bloops we've been lacking? Patience, they're coming... The Break is coming, baby!

Speaking of coming in clutch, just wait until the final game in Omaha. We'll be down to our last out, bases juiced, backs against the wall. But then Katz will emerge from the dugout, dust the cobwebs off his bat in dramatic fashion, and stride to the plate to pinch hit for Nick Kurtz and demolish a game-winning grand slam!

That monumental blast will not only deliver a national title, but also raise Katz's season batting average to an even .069 - a supernaturally sexy number if I've ever seen one. The baseball gods simply cannot resist that kind of numerical perfection.

So have faith, fans. The pieces are in place for an unforgettable roller coaster ride that ends with dog piles, championship hardware, and finally earning the respect we deserve on the national stage. Cutting down the nets in Omaha is our destiny this year.

I'll see you all there, zyn'd up and ready to party like it's 1955!

Go Deacs!

ACC Baseball Awards:

Player of the Year:
James Tibbs III, OF, Florida State
Pitcher of the Year: Chase Burns, SP, Wake Forest
Freshman of the Year: Drew Burress, OF, Georgia Tech
Defensive Player of the Year: Vance Honeycutt, OF, North Carolina
Coach of the Year: Scott Forbes, North Carolina

All-ACC Teams
First Team

Aidan Knaak, SP, Clemson*
Charlie Beilenson, RP, Duke
Ben Miller, 3B, Duke
Zac Morris, 2B, Duke
Jonathan Santucci, SP, Duke
Jamie Arnold, SP, Florida State
James Tibbs III, OF, Florida State
Drew Burress, OF, Georgia Tech
Gage Ziehl, SP, Miami*
Casey Cook, OF, North Carolina*
Vance Honeycutt, OF, North Carolina
Jacob Cozart, C, NC State
Ethan Anderson, DH/UT, Virginia
Griff O’Ferrall, SS, Virginia
Chase Burns, SP, Wake Forest
Nick Kurtz, 1B, Wake Forest

Second Team
Blake Wright, 2B, Clemson
Alex Stone, C, Duke*
Cam Smith, 3B, Florida State
Matthew Ellis, DH/UT, Georgia Tech
Payton Green, SS, Georgia Tech
Evan Webster, SP, Louisville
Daniel Cuvet, 3B, Miami*
Jason DeCaro, SP, North Carolina
Parks Harber, 1B, North Carolina
Shea Sprague, SP, North Carolina
Alex Makarewicz, 3B, NC State*
Phil Fox, RP, Pittsburgh
Harrison Didawick, OF, Virginia
Jacob Ference, C, Virginia
Casey Saucke, OF, Virginia
Ben Watson, OF, Virginia Tech

Third Team
John West, SP, Boston College*
Cam Cannarella, OF, Clemson
AJ Gracia, OF, Duke
Marco Dinges, DH/UT, Florida State
Jaime Ferrer, OF, Florida State
Gavin Kilen, SS, Louisville
Matthew Mattthijs, RP, North Carolina*
Dalton Pence, RP, North Carolina
Luke Stevenson, C, North Carolina
Sam Highfill, SP, NC State
Garrett Pennington, 1B, NC State
Evan Blanco, SP, Virginia
Henry Godbout, 2B, Virginia
Chris Cannizzaro, OF, Virginia Tech
Brett Renfrow, SP, Virginia Tech
Marek Houston, SS, Wake Forest*
Seaver King, 3B, Wake Forest

*Designates At-Large Selection
% 17 players on the Third Team due to a tie in the voting

All-ACC Freshman Team
Aidan Knaak, SP, Clemson
AJ Gracia, OF, Duke
Kyle Johnson, OF/SP, Duke
Drew Burress, OF, Georgia Tech
Zion Rose, C, Louisville
Daniel Cuvet, 3B, Miami
Jason DeCaro, SP, North Carolina
Gavin Gallaher, 3B, North Carolina
Luke Stevenson, C, North Carolina
Jacob Dudan, RP, NC State
Eric Becker, INF, Virginia
Henry Ford, 1B, Virginia
Brett Renfrow, SP, Virginia Tech

Actually it was more than just Skenes as we had two games to clinch but choked in pitching decisions.
Yeah the game before Skenes hurt the most. Pretty sure the meat of the order went 0 for, with like 10+ runners left on. That makes winning tough too. Reminds me of 2 of the state games.

Yeah the game before Skenes hurt the most. Pretty sure the meat of the order went 0 for, with like 10+ runners left on. That makes winning tough too. Reminds me of 2 of the state games.
wake's luck that kurtz went down

Back