• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

This is absolutely ridiculous considering how many issues we've had with the bullpen this year. And according to the announcers this weekend, VT was a top 10 offense nationally. Its almost like getting Roland and Wade back, the guys have flipped a switch. And its awesome.
it's about getting guys into the spots they should be in the bullpen. The guys didn't change because Roland and Wade are back, they are being able to be utilized in ways that maximize their strengths. Bullpen construction is such an art. Losing your backend guys just has an incredible downstream impact.

Need to keep stacking wins as someone else said but also need to concentrate on hosting a regional but its gonna be tough as we don't own tiebreakers vs Duke, UVA, or UNC all currently ahead of us. Gonna have to get 2-3 vs rest of schedule to have a chance.

This is absolutely ridiculous considering how many issues we've had with the bullpen this year. And according to the announcers this weekend, VT was a top 10 offense nationally. Its almost like getting Roland and Wade back, the guys have flipped a switch. And its awesome.
Three big bullpen pieces so far have also been freshmen (Leffew, Gunther, and Morningstar). It makes sense that those guys would be performing better now than they were in early March.

I am a little bit curious why Wade didn't get on the mound at all this weekend, considering there were plenty of available innings for him between Saturday/Sunday. Hopefully not an injury setback there.

Three big bullpen pieces so far have also been freshmen (Leffew, Gunther, and Morningstar). It makes sense that those guys would be performing better now than they were in early March.

I am a little bit curious why Wade didn't get on the mound at all this weekend, considering there were plenty of available innings for him between Saturday/Sunday. Hopefully not an injury setback there.
This has me a little nervous too. When Johnston came in for the 8th yesterday, I was like why not Wade if you want a lefty (don’t get me wrong, Johnston was great, but surprised not to see Wade all weekend after his inning on Tuesday and injury set back was my first thought - 🤞it’s just them taking things slow and cautiously).

This has me a little nervous too. When Johnston came in for the 8th yesterday, I was like why not Wade if you want a lefty (don’t get me wrong, Johnston was great, but surprised not to see Wade all weekend after his inning on Tuesday and injury set back was my first thought - 🤞it’s just them taking things slow and cautiously).
I assume the most likely thing is that Walter wants to work Wade in very slowly given how little he has actually pitched over the last two years. If he doesn't get another inning tomorrow then it's time to start asking about what's going on there I think.

WF is at the halfway point of the Conference regular season.

ACC Baseball Standings:

Atlantic
Clemson 10-2 28-3
FSU 8-4 27-4
NC State 8-7 18-11
L'ville 6-6 20-11
WF 7-8 21-10
BC 5-10 16-14
ND 2-13 14-15

Coastal
UNC 11-4 26-6
VT 10-5 21-8
UVA 9-6 25-7
Duke 9-6 24-8
GT 5-7 19-11
Miami 6-9 15-16
Pitt 3-12 13-14

WF hosts ranked Coastal Carolina Tuesday, and then plays at BC this weekend. Early forecast looks like temps should be OK in Boston.

Remaining ACC series for WF:

April 12-14: @BC
April 19-21: FSU
April 26-28: @ND
May 10-12: Clemson
May 16-28: @NC State

Having FS and Clemson at home should theoretically be a good boost.
Need to feast on BC and ND, although I think ND is probably better than their record indicates.

Hopefully we can take 2 series from FSU, Clemson, and the @State group. FSU has taken advantage of a favorable ACC schedule, Clemson has won almost all of their 1-run games, and State is just all over the place.

I think a reasonable hope is to go 7-2 against NCSU, BC, and ND, and then go 3-3 against FSU and Clemson. That would put us at 17-13 in the ACC, which I think would be pretty firmly in regional host territory.

I get that both of them are on the road, but at this point dropping the BC or ND series would be pretty catastrophic. Just the unfortunate reality that Wake's slow start has placed us in.

my other bullpen hypothesis (that i want to believe is true) is that a huge part of what we do well is using analytics for pitch strategy.

for example, last year sean sullivan came in as a crafty threee pitch lefty but when we looked at the data it made more sense to throw high fastballs. similar with cole roland who was previously a standard fastball-first guy and we switched to leading w his changeup.

but obviously you can’t do that type of analysis without data for our analytics team to work with. i suspect as we get more more and more data points we will see adjustments and better results

I think we’re a bad matchup for just about anyone in the ACCT. Pitch Hartle against the lower seed and Burns against the higher seed.

I think we’re a bad matchup for just about anyone in the ACCT. Pitch Hartle against the lower seed and Burns against the higher seed.
If we are needing to win both pool games (so not a top 4 seed), I can almost guarantee that Burns will just pitch whichever game is first.

Yearly reminder that the ACCT format is one of the dumbest things in sports

Back