• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Women's Basketball Offseason - Grad transfer SMU PG Tamia Jones

Would like to hear what Gebbia’s plan was on the last shot.

Would like to hear what Gebbia’s plan was on the last shot.

FROM GEBBIA
"It was a very tough loss today. The team executed the scout extremely well and I told them in the locker room not to hang their heads. This was my fault. At the end, I tried to run a man set and they ended up being in zone. We got a good shot anyway but still felt like we were a little haphazard and how we were handling that possession. I just really want them to know that I'm so proud of how they played out another team's home court. There was not as much preparation as you have for the Thursday game. Liv really stepped up offensively when Jewel was struggling to make shots. We got the stops that we needed at the end, which I was really proud about. It just comes down to the little things like I said. I don't want them to hang their heads. This was a tough game to take. We played well defensively. We're going to take the film, we're going to watch it. We're going to break it down. We're going to get better." - Coach Megan Gebbia

That's what the color commentator said during the broadcast.

STANDOUT STAT
  • Senior forward Olivia Summieldisplayed her versatility Sunday as the Dayville, Conn. native tallied 11 points, eight rebounds, five assists, one steal and one block.
    • She led the Demon Deacons Sunday in rebounds, assists, steals and blocks.
  • This marks the first time since Ivana Racaon Nov. 20, 2020 in a win over Missouri State that a Demon Deacon has had that many points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks in a single game.
    • Raca finished her game with 23 points, nine rebounds, five assists, one steal and one block.

FROM GEBBIA
"It was a very tough loss today. The team executed the scout extremely well and I told them in the locker room not to hang their heads. This was my fault. At the end, I tried to run a man set and they ended up being in zone. We got a good shot anyway but still felt like we were a little haphazard and how we were handling that possession. I just really want them to know that I'm so proud of how they played out another team's home court. There was not as much preparation as you have for the Thursday game. Liv really stepped up offensively when Jewel was struggling to make shots. We got the stops that we needed at the end, which I was really proud about. It just comes down to the little things like I said. I don't want them to hang their heads. This was a tough game to take. We played well defensively. We're going to take the film, we're going to watch it. We're going to break it down. We're going to get better." - Coach Megan Gebbia

That's what the color commentator said during the broadcast.

STANDOUT STAT
  • Senior forward Olivia Summieldisplayed her versatility Sunday as the Dayville, Conn. native tallied 11 points, eight rebounds, five assists, one steal and one block.
    • She led the Demon Deacons Sunday in rebounds, assists, steals and blocks.
  • This marks the first time since Ivana Racaon Nov. 20, 2020 in a win over Missouri State that a Demon Deacon has had that many points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks in a single game.
    • Raca finished her game with 23 points, nine rebounds, five assists, one steal and one block.
Thanks for posting that. Her comments make sense - we looked shocked and confused for the first 8 seconds of the possession.

The zone is a smart move by Clemson in that situation, because the two weakness of a zone (rebounding and outside shots) are not much of a concern up 1.

A very Wake Foresty result. Good game, though. Onward.

Down 32-24 at the half after being up 21-15 with 5:29 left. 17-3 run including a three at the buzzer. Summiel has 5 and 8. Williams leads scoring with 7.

Deacs down 36-35 at the 3Q TV timeout. Spear has 11 on 4-5 fg, 2-3 3pt.

44-41 at the end of the 3rd.

Duke wins 60-50. Spear had 13. Williams had 12.

Last edited:
Down 12-10 at the end of the 1st. Not going to be much scoring in this one. Wake is 10th in the league in scoring offense and Tech is 13th. Tech is 1st in scoring defense. Spear is out. Not sure why.

Up 29-28 at the half. Williams with 10 points. Scruggs started in place of Spear and has 6. Shooting 13-26 from the field.

Gotta love women's games with quarters and 40 minute halves.

Down 38-37 at the end of the 3rd. Low scoring 3rd like the 1st. Summiel with a 3 at the buzzer. Williams and Scruggs with 10 points each.

Last edited:
Kaia Harrison with an and 1 to put the Deacs up 51-50 but she missed the FT. The possession arrow went to Tech. Tech ball 29.6 left. Shot clock off.

Tech on the line with 5.3 left. Missed both. Scruggs on the line up 1 with 2.1 left. She missed both. Tech ball down 1.

Deacs win 51-50 without Spear to get to 11-6 (2-4). Big win after two tough losses to Clemson and Duke.

Last edited:
Kaia Harrison with an and 1 to put the Deacs up 51-50 but she missed the FT. The possession arrow went to Tech. Tech ball 29.6 left. Shot clock off.

Tech on the line with 5.3 left. Missed both. Scruggs on the line up 1 with 2.1 left. She missed both. Tech ball down 1.

Deacs win 51-50 without Spear to get to 11-6 (2-4). Big win after two tough losses to Clemson and Duke.
Wasn't able to watch this one. Sounds like a lot of missed free throws at the end!

Yeah. Five straight missed FTs at 51-50 in the last 30 seconds.

Hard to draw a lot of conclusions about Gebbia so far, but winning a conference game without Spear is huge.

Scruggs airballed the last FT which allowed GT to get the ball at midcourt per the other site.

I think she is a good game coach. our success will come down to improving the talent level which we seem to be off to a good start.

I think Gebbia is doing the best she can with a team that, aside from Spear, isn't any more talented than their opponents. Hopefully, at least 2 of the 3 freshmen can contribute right away. If Theuerkauf can be a threat from deep right away, that's going to free up a lot of space for Spear.

Speaking of, Theuerkauf scored her 2000th point this week.

Spear was walking around wearing warm-ups today, so hopefully nothing serious.

Gebbia took a great time out with possession with less than a minute left. What befuddled me was why she didn't call a play to score quickly to ensure we'd have a chance at the last shot. It worked out, but we ran the clock down, allowing GT to possibly score the game winner with time running out.

It was a lot of fun to have the ladies stay and sign autographs for the kids after the game. Gebbia also had a short interview "coaches show" with Jeffrey on the big screens after the game.

This team especially without Spear is not well-suited to get a quick shot or a 2 for 1. The focus should be on getting a good shot.

The official site recap says nothing about Spear. Weird. Nothing from Les on Twitter. Seems like no hard feelings though.

Dropped from 72 to 77 in the NET after the close win yesterday. GT was 75th and moved up to 73rd. Guess we should've won by more over a similar team at home.

Doesn't account for Spear being out, but that win didn't move the needle much.

First road game vs. a ranked team tonight at #7 Notre Dame. ND is coming off a loss at UNC which dropped them from #4 to #7 in both polls. Soph PG Olivia Miles leads the ACC in assists and is among leaders in points, steals, and FT%.

I'm hoping for shockingly close like the Duke game. Spear is due for a great game in conference. I assume she's playing since she voiced the hype video.

Gebbia started Scruggs and Hinds came off the bench after ND started with a 7-0 run.

ND up 13-5 at the first TV timeout with 3 min left in the 1st.

ND up 21-8 at the end of the 1st. Maddy Westbeld hit a 3 at the buzzer. She had her career high 25 against Wake two years ago.

ND up 44-25. The talent gap is just too much. Westbeld has 19/6/4. She had a play where got the rebound, led the break like Jokic and just put a quick spin move on the defender for a layup. And she’s taller and bigger than anyone on our team.

Plus they’re motivated. The local announcers mention losing to UNC every five minutes.

Williams with 11. Summiel with 5. Spear is 1-6 for 3 pts.

Bloodbath. ND won 86-47. Williams led Wake with 13. Harrison had 10. Spear shot 2-11 and had 5 points.

Wake plays 10-6 Miami on Sunday at 2:00 on ACCNX.

Last edited:
Coming off a rough 55-42 loss at Miami, the Lady Deacs head to Blacksburg to visit old friend Elizabeth Kitley and the Lady Hokies. Game is on Bally Sports or other RSN at 1:00 on Sunday. Get your VPNs ready!

Back