• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Women's Basketball Offseason - Grad transfer SMU PG Tamia Jones

Weird game. Wake has six players with 2 fouls including 6 of the 8 player rotation. FSU shot 19 FTs. Wake shot 34% from the field. Yet Wake is only down 31-30.

Three called fouls in the first 95 seconds of the 2nd half. Unreal.

Down 54-52 with 4 min left. Absolutely nuts. Without Hinds for most of the game, Becker has played well in the post. She's undersized but her athleticism stands out more in the post than on the wing.

Deacs down 1 with the ball with 2.6 sec left. Gebbia opted not to foul with a 2 sec shot clock differential and just played aggressive defense. FSU rushed a shot and Becker got a rebound.

Harrison miss at the buzzer. Deacs lose to #23 FSU 61-60.

Wake held FSU to 19-58 (32.8%) from the field, only 1-13 from deep. But they shot 22-31 from the line.

Do you think Harrison got that final shot off? I think it was after the buzzer, but there was no replay so who knows.

No. I don't think she got it off and she wasn't credited with a shot attempt.

I also don't think it was the right play not to foul. Maybe play aggressive D for 10 seconds, but definitely foul with 20 sec. The problem was Williams and Summiel were the only players on the court without 4 fouls and they had 3. Not sure why Scruggs only played 14 minutes. She had 8 points at the half and I'm not sure she played at all in the 4th quarter.

No. I don't think she got it off and she wasn't credited with a shot attempt.

I also don't think it was the right play not to foul. Maybe play aggressive D for 10 seconds, but definitely foul with 20 sec. The problem was Williams and Summiel were the only players on the court without 4 fouls and they had 3. Not sure why Scruggs only played 14 minutes. She had 8 points at the half and I'm not sure she played at all in the 4th quarter.
I agree. It worked out in that they had the ball with 2.5 seconds left and a chance to win, but there was only about a 1 sec difference between the shot and game clock, so the smart FSU play would have been to run it down to 1 second and then hoist the ball into the air and the clock would have run out.

But apparently it is possible to get off a game winning shot in under 2 seconds in the ACC.

Nice shot of her dad Ralph celebrating in the stands.

Great shot, and some horrible defense.

I went to my first women’s basketball game yesterday and here are my thoughts.

Fun:
Every time I get more and more impressed at what women can do in heels. The FSU head coach was in 6 inch heels and had very active footwork. She was moving better than our players at times.

I enjoyed the band taunting an FSU bench coach for his intensity and loudness. Was pretty fun to watch. He took it in stride and would laugh when they just repeated everything he said and did.

Serious:
Intensity - There was zero intensity from our team/fans at all, from warmups to the end. Maybe it’s because our season is over but the girls looked like they were going through the motion. Starting in warmups FSU was warming up like they were playing in a game where we just did a couple of half assed stretches, layups, shots from inside the semi circle in the paint. You could tell just from warm ups who was going to win.

Layups - if I see a girl miss another wide open layup I’m going to scream.

Coach Gebbia - Either she doesn’t have a clue on what’s happening or she’s calm, cool and collected. I’m relying on y’all to tell me since that was the first game I watched. She does need to learn/start working the refs earlier in the game. It wasn’t until about midway through the 2nd quarter when she started where the FSU coach was working them from the tip. Side note, I did like the pink shoes she was wearing for breast cancer night and am looking for a pair right now.

Overall while the team/fans lacked intensity, I could see myself getting into the game a bit. The mens game should adopt the women’s rules such as 4 quarters and fouls resetting. The game moved much smoother and quicker. Hopefully coach Gebbia can get some transfers in because we need some better players.

I will be getting season tickets next year for the women’s team and will go to a few more games.

That was the longest Wake women's game of the season through regulation that I've watched due to all the fouls and FTs and the weird deliberation because somehow Hinds and Spear both got charged with the same foul. And it was about a 2-hour game, the average for the men. Changing to quarters would make the men's game flow much smoother.

Gebbia is calm, cool, and collected but too calm yesterday. This was a winnable game against a ranked opponent and she was way too calm and cool about most of her rotation getting two fouls 15 minutes into the game. FSU coach Brooke Wychoff is real comfortable in the ACC. Hopefully Gebbia will get there.

You could tell from the start of the game FSU was going to win by 1 point?

I'm not shocked that FSU looked better getting off the bus an in warm-ups than Wake. That's why I'm pretty convinced Gebbia is a miracle worker to keep a game like this close.

Doesn’t matter if you win by a point or 100 points. - Dom Torreto

But yes you could tell in warmups who the winning team was going to be

You gotta root for the Hokies with the women. Especially since the Deacs are out. Father Ralph never had stellar stats but Liz became all-time leading scorer for VT. Go Hokies!

Last game of the season. Gebbia can break the Wake record for ACC wins for a first season coach and finish .500 in the regular season. Wake will be 11 seed with a win but could drop with a loss.

14 point lead after 1. BC goes on a 14-0 run to open Q2.

BC up 33-32. They’re shooting 62% from the field and 3-6 from deep. Wake only had 6 points in the 2nd.

Good to know Gebbia respects the senior day tradition. Mack Maier started and hit 3 and got a steal in 6 minutes. Her first minutes all season.

Last edited:
Bad loss. On Senior Day no less. Wake dropped to #12 losing the tiebreaker to BC.

Wake starts the ACC Tournament vs. #13 Virginia at 1 pm on Wednesday. Winner plays #5 FSU at 11 am on Thursday.

Looks like Becker, Scruggs, Harrison, Maier, and Summiel were honored as seniors. We'll see what that means for the portal with three incoming recruits.

BC totally abused us in the paint we really need to recruit some quality ACC post players

BC totally abused us in the paint we really need to recruit some quality ACC post players
Rinse repeat.

Coach Gebbia coaches her first ACC Tournament game tomorrow at 1:00 vs. #13 seed UVa on ACCN.

Back