• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

21 Wake Championships under Wellman; only 3 by coaches brought to Wake by Wellman

Lots of good info...

He has only recruited 3 Championship coaches to Wake in 20 years.

He fired or otherwise terminated ?? Championship coaches that were hired by his predecessor.

But how do we turn it into sound bites?

Just a reminder of who is making this decision.

Wellman had reached near deity status before [Redacted]. No one seemed to care about any of these statistics 5 years ago although they all could have been brought up then. Hatred for Wellman has everything to do with basketball. All of the rest of this is window dressing

Wellman had no choice but to promote Vidovich to head coach. Walt died the first week into the 94 season. Hard to give him credit for a hand that was forced. Spry was being constructed prior to the death of Walt.

Wellman had no choice but to promote Vidovich to head coach. Walt died the first week into the 94 season. Hard to give him credit for a hand that was forced. Spry was being constructed prior to the death of Walt.

You're just splitting hairs at this point, Stan.

I know this is an old thread from last year, but to be fair shouldn't we also post the number of championships we won prior to Wellman's arrival?

Of course most of them are probably golf. We had two hoops ACCT, and one baseball NCAAT.

In 2006, we were calling that the end of the best 10 years of Wake athletics, no one worried about which AD hired the coaches then.

Wellman is such an idiot (I hope that is not too uncivil). If he had not completely botched the basketball team none of this would have been looked into. Now people are really taking a look at the AD.

I pointed this out about 4 years agos. But since football was riding high, nobody cared. Letting Odom & Greer go with their 5 ACC titles was just an ego thing that was a major mistake. Plus he would have liked to have replaced Averill & Dailey if he could have but other forces were at play. Petersen was a bad hire. [Redacted] was a terrible hire and must have been a "good buddy" thing from their Northwestern days. Annie Bennett. His great hire was Jim Grobe and luckily the timing of getting the Tower coincided with the 2006 ACC title season.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread from last year, but to be fair shouldn't we also post the number of championships we won prior to Wellman's arrival?

Of course most of them are probably golf. We had two hoops ACCT, and one baseball NCAAT.

In 2006, we were calling that the end of the best 10 years of Wake athletics, no one worried about which AD hired the coaches then.

I've worked with talented, high-achieving salespeople in the past who, for one reason or another (usually a result of getting fat and happy in a results-driven business) went from being envied to fired in a few short years. It happens.

If I'm a manager, and I have an employee who rested on his laurels and stopped being productive a half decade ago, the choice would be an easy one.

Thanks for bumping. This would have been helpful on Friday, I got into a heated discussion with the bartender at First Street Draught House on Friday who was spouting the AD spin (in wellman we trust, bad fans are to blame, etc.) and talking about Wellman's ability to hire championship winners like Vidovich, etc.

Thankfully he walked away when I insisted he was wrong about Wellman's hires and that I disagreed with him 100% on blaming fans. And thankfully he didn't add any drinks to my tab, that could have escalated quickly

Back