• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

30 for 30 on Big East

NashTNdeac06

Reaction score
Really interesting 30 for 30 on the founding of the Big East. Not sure if it has been on tv before and discussed here, but was very informative and an interesting watch. Highly recommend it.

I've caught the last 20 min twice but still haven't seen the whole thing and I want to really badly. Does anybody have a link?

its really good. fairly sad as well. They were just very vulnerable to the realignment. The football/basketball conflict doomed them. Thank goodness for the ACC's grant of rights. If the ACC collapsed right now, Wake might end up in AAC or god forbid the Southern Conference.

I watched the first half of it last night--really made me remember how much everybody hated Georgetown back then. Villanova beating them in '85 was awesome.

there were a lot of full on, punches thrown fights in the early big east days. Holy cow, Patrick Ewing would be suspended the entire year based on what was shown in that documentary.

Saw it the night it premiered. The first half of it was really interesting. It was funny to see both Boeheim and JT appear to be somewhat gracious and light hearted about certain things, but then revert to being their grumpy old man selves whenever anything was brought up that might not of painted them or their programs in the best light.

there were a lot of full on, punches thrown fights in the early big east days. Holy cow, Patrick Ewing would be suspended the entire year based on what was shown in that documentary.

culture

Kinda funny seeing the same commentators who heavily criticized Cinci and Xavier after their scuffle a year or two ago, praise the Big East for their "toughness."

The old footage was great...I loved me some Big East basketball in the 1980s..Epic battles.

Unbelievable amount of coaching talent

I didn't like how it lauded the physical defense the conference allowed. It's called "fouling." That's why there were so many fights - physical play. Basketball is still trying to clean up the game from this conference and era. It should not be remembered fondly. Remember when the Big East upped the number of fouls to foul out to six? It was short-lived bc guys were absolutely killing each other.

I recall that Georgetown had a player during the Ewing era named Michael Graham who absolutely assaulted people on the court. Big East basketball in the 80's was no holds barred.

Anyone see D McQueen, Chris King, and Anthony Tucker during the Seton Hall footage? I remember that game being the first time I'd ever heard of Seton Hall. ACC/Big East Challenge style

oh man, I was at the Seton Hall/Wake game as a teenager and Anthony Tucker grabbed a rebound , went coast to coast and slammed it over the entire SH team. I was convinced that Tucker was going to be an NBA superstar. Sadly, he wasn't and Seton Hall won that game.

The Boeheim presser after the 1984 tournament loss to Georgetown was EPIC.

Lived the Big East from its start in 79 (was a JR at Syracuse) through my four years working in Providence (84-88). Actually went to Dave Gavitt's bkb camp summer between my SO and JR years of high school. It was where I learned I should talk about the game, rather than play it. Gavitt was a helluva nice guy, and brilliant not only as a coach but also as an administrator.

Did radio play-by-play for the '81 Big East Tournament championship game with Jon Stashower (formerly of ESPN Radio, now NBC Radio Sports). As a tv guy, covered Rick Pitino's Providence team that went to the '87 Final Four. Know most everyone who was interviewed in the show: Mike Gorman, former Big East tv voice, longtime Celtics tv guy; Billy Reynolds of the Providence Journal; Charlie Pierce formerly of the Boston Phoenix and Boston Herald, now writes for Grantland and Esquire.

It was like watching a decade of my life flash before me in two hours. And it made me realize how lucky I've been to cover some of the people and teams and events I've covered in 30+ years in sports media.

So yes, I enjoyed it.

Well said. They were a bunch of hacks that helped lead to terrible brutal basketball in the 90s.

I didn't like how it lauded the physical defense the conference allowed. It's called "fouling." That's why there were so many fights - physical play. Basketball is still trying to clean up the game from this conference and era. It should not be remembered fondly. Remember when the Big East upped the number of fouls to foul out to six? It was short-lived bc guys were absolutely killing each other.

Agreed. I grew up in NJ. Though I loved St Johns and Lou Carneseca, the conference was full of hacks. The epitome of it all was when they went to 6 fouls per player. What a joke. Ex-Villanova pg Stewart Granger said it best about the Big East. Whereas some people growing up would say, "no harm/blood, no foul", in the Big East, it was, "no autopsy, no foul".

And, yes, Michael Graham was a bad MFer.

Wish they would do a 30 for 30 on the ACC back in the day, particularly the late 60's and early '70's when only one team got into the NCAA tournament. Those conference tournaments were vicious and more intense than anything seen in any of these conference after they expanded the field.

Wish they would do a 30 for 30 on the ACC back in the day, particularly the late 60's and early '70's when only one team got into the NCAA tournament. Those conference tournaments were vicious and more intense than anything seen in any of these conference after they expanded the field.

I thought they had done the duke/unc rivalry, but it was HBO that did it. You'd think the big 4 would get a 30 for 30. North Carolina is quite an anomaly with so many teams.

Back