• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

40 Years Ago Today

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Forty years ago today, Hank Aaron passed Babe Ruth to become the Home Run King. He belted an Al Downing pitch over the left field wall.

Dougie and I barely missed catching the ball with our fishnet.

What was wild was half the stadium emptied out by the end of the 5th or 6th inning.

That's pretty dope that you were there!

I shuda gone tonite since I do luv nites at the Ted but just too crazy of a week!

It was spring semester of our senior year. The previous fall we bought tickets for the first six games. We really wanted to see 715 and to get the ball.

What a moment that must have been to witness! Still the true home run king!

It was spring semester of our senior year. The previous fall we bought tickets for the first six games. We really wanted to see 715 and to get the ball.

You bought tickets for games in the 1974 season in the fall of 1973? I've only lived in Atlanta for 25 years, but in the time I've lived here, individual game tickets always go on sale in February. Things may well have been different in1973, though.

Amazing you could get tix for the first six games in such an incredible sports town like Atlanta.

Milo Hamilton's call on Braves radio was perfect. I don't know if it was off the cuff or prepared but he perfectly captured the excitement of the moment. Contrast that with Red Barber's call of Maris's 61st where he was more concerned with which fan was going to get the ball and the five grand that came with returning it.
Red dropped the ball so to speak.

Everyone I knew was pulling for Hank to get 715. I was very surprised to hear of the hate mail, death threats, and race baiting he had to deal with. As far as i can tell, that didn't become public until after he broke the record.

Funny you say that about Milo. Many people criticized him for that call. Guess they were expecting a "one small step for man" kind of comment. It was prepared well in advance. I thought he did a good job, although as someone who listened to tons of Braves games, I wish he had been a bit more spontaneous. He could call a good long ball, not like that douche Sterling.

You bought tickets for games in the 1974 season in the fall of 1973? I've only lived in Atlanta for 25 years, but in the time I've lived here, individual game tickets always go on sale in February. Things may well have been different in1973, though.

They knew he'd be breaking the record at home that week.

The funniest part was we left the next morning. We stopped at the relatively new Hyatt downtown. We went to the front desk concierge and bell captain trying to give away the remaining tickets. No one wanted them. Then we saw some cops at a Waffle House and they didn't want them for free either.

Funny you say that about Milo. Many people criticized him for that call. Guess they were expecting a "one small step for man" kind of comment. It was prepared well in advance. I thought he did a good job, although as someone who listened to tons of Braves games, I wish he had been a bit more spontaneous. He could call a good long ball, not like that douche Sterling.

Article from yesterday on Milo's call. He's still with us which I didn't know.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb...md=20140408&content_id=71345732&vkey=news_mlb

Hank was at the game last night........but didn't play

Forty years ago today, Hank Aaron passed Babe Ruth to become the Home Run King. He belted an Al Downing pitch over the left field wall.

Dougie and I barely missed catching the ball with our fishnet.

What was wild was half the stadium emptied out by the end of the 5th or 6th inning.

Ahem....

People talk about it like it was a great catch. It wasn’t. It came right to me. All I remember is right after I caught it, a big fish net went in front of me. Some kid from Georgia Tech had a fishing net on an extension pole. He just missed it.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/sto...-hr-tom-house-recalls-how-he-reached-the-hof/

Back