• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

8 Years Ago Today: Grobe to Arkansas

Wake is probably in the bottom quarter of P5 jobs, and any Wake coach who has success will be looked at by schools with bigger stadiums, fanbases and booster clubs with more money. And I would be OK with such a coach at least considering such an offer. If he didn't at least look at it, I would wonder whether he was smart. Now taking it, that is another matter.

It takes a somewhat unusual coach to both be successful at Wake and happy staying there. The Wake job requires a slightly different mind set from that of the typical football coach who is always on the win or else pathway. The Wake administration (and to a lesser extent, the fanbase) will tolerate more losing than most if the rest of the program is sound. That is, players go to class, graduate, stay out of trouble and generally present a good image of the school. A Wake FB coach will get a longer leash in the W/L race than most, if the rest is good.

I might go so far as saying the bottom 10 of the P5 jobs now when you consider there only about 65 total jobs with Notre Dame included. Considering what we pay, what our football coach is known to have to go thru with the school with academics and such, we are a tough job. There may be only one in the SEC--Vandy, that is like it, only 1 in the Big 10 like it--NW and they have been doing good lately [even though Purdue, Illinois, & MD are bad] and Rutgers is a terrible job even though a big state university. There may not be but 1 terrible job in the PAC & that is Oregon St. In the Big 12 only Kansas is a bad job and the other 2 private schools, Baylor & TCU make it work rather nicely. We have 3 other bad jobs in our own conference--BC, Syracuse & Duke. And right now Duke is making it work just like Northwestern.

Kind of like when I wish I could still get it up for the Mrs., but she and I don't expect it. Heck, even if it does rise to attention, by the time I get my depends off it's all slumped over again.:(

I think the 03 - 05 recruiting classes deserve 90% of the credit for Grobe's success. His entire legacy is based on those 3 classes.

Have to add 02. Gattis, Ghee, Vallos, Swanson, Arby Jones, Plack, Barclay, Brian Andrews, Chris Davis, Easley, Zac Taylor (who transferred, but was a great recruit now OC for Dolphins), Nate Morton, Jyles Tucker.

Some pretty important pieces on the ACC ship.

Yes, that is big miss on my part. Hard to consider a recruiting run that long to be coincidence, but had that recruiting success continued Grobe would probably still be our coach.

Back