• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A Coach To Keep An Eye On?

This is the year we will have the best chance at him.

True. Wellman needs to pull his head out of his ass and go all in. All the money he wants and throw Hatch out of his house and move Shaka in.

DO NOT WANT Jay Wright, never been impressed with him teams or his recruiting.
Plus when was the last time he had a tournament run? He is at a major institution in a power conference and we should scrutinize his post season record.

Marshall, Smart, and Stevens all have a proven track record of post season success.

I don't know what's happened the last couple of years (and it's certainly something to question), but Wright went to the Sweet 16 or better in four of five seasons at the end of the 2000s (including one Elite 8 and one Final Four). That's a pretty damn stellar post-season record. I think I'd be pretty excited if we got him.

Plus when was the last time he had a tournament run? He is at a major institution in a power conference and we should scrutinize his post season record.

Marshall, Smart, and Stevens all have a proven track record of post season success.

Is this a joke? He went to the final 4 in 2009, has been to 2 elite 8s. How many times has Marshall been to the elite 8?

It's not really worth debating, because RJ is right, he isn't leavig the Philly Region. However, 2006 he took a young team to the elite 8, lost to eventual champ (Florida). 2007, lost in the sweet 16 to eventual champ Kansas. 2009, was in the final four, ready to beat UNC before getting absolutely SCREWED by the refs (I know, shocking to this board). 2010 - top 5 recruiting class, and reached a 2 seed in the tourney.

He's recruited MULTIPLE top 10 classes. His last 2 seasons, the teams dissappointed, and I think its due to lack of development of some young big men. HE lost Ed Pickney who did a phenomenal job coaching bigs, and that seems to have had some lasting effects.

2009, was in the final four, ready to beat UNC before getting absolutely SCREWED by the refs (I know, shocking to this board)

UNC beat 'Nova by 14 that year. Are you thinking about 2005 (another year where UNC went on to win the crown) in the Sweet 16? Cause that was the ultimate screwjob.

Allan Ray still didn't travel

UNC beat 'Nova by 14 that year. Are you thinking about 2005 (another year where UNC went on to win the crown) in the Sweet 16? Cause that was the ultimate screwjob.

Allan Ray still didn't travel

Yes, my bad. Yup, that allan ray call was bruuuuutal.

Ther is one way Wright could be available in three years...if the new league tanks.

Make a run at Shaka. If we get him, great.

But likely, he says no, then we need to look at other candidates.

How do we know that he likes a small private school atmosphere? He is at VCU, which is a large commuter school.

Has turned down jobs at big state schools and is an alum of a private, academic liberal arts college.

Question: how Catholic is the Catholic 7 interested in being? Because Richmond and VCU are as Catholic as Seth Greenberg.

Make a run at the big dogs. What harm is there? There is such a thing as considering multiple candidates at once.

The new league has 10 of the 12 teams set:

The Seven BE schools
Butler
Dayton
Xavier

St. Louis is extremely likely. St. Joe's brings Philly and is a lifelong rival of Nova and long term rival of X.

Temple may be out because they want to play D1 football. Duquesne brings Western PA, is a natural rival and is Catholic.

The VA schools are a fall back. They aren't near the top of the list.

Observations:
1) He's at a good age and experience level.
2) Proven winner and program builder.
3) Definitely a coaching upgrade.
4) Might not have full slate of assistants that he wants to bring. So if Wellman still wants to keep one of our current assistants, that might be a possibility. (I am sold on Battle's recruiting skills. And I love Rusty from his player days but I'm still not sure that he brings what it takes as an assistant coach.)
5) If we don't start winning, with his SoCon experience he can ease Wake's transition from the ACC to the SoCon. (I hope that is a joke...)

Questions:
1) What's his post-season tournament resume?
2) What's his late season record?
3) Does he win the press conference or at least hold his own?
4) What's his public persona with students, fans, alumni?
5) Is he diplomatic enough to sell himself and his ideas to the AD (Wellman)?
6) And after he's hired, is he man enough to stand up to the AD (Wellman) when he needs to?

Of course some of those questions assume that Wellman will still be the AD which I hope is not the case?

I have personal experience with Elon and Coach Matheny. He is an outstanding coach and a great person. Always wins the press conference and has pedigree spending many years with Bob Mckillpo. Would be a great hire.

how about josh pastner from memphis? he has had a great record.. and i think he would love to come to a premier conference and see how he can compete with good teams

Back