• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Aaron Rountree

WFU21

Reaction score
I play in a recreational basketball league in Kenly, NC and tonight Aaron Rountree was on the team we were playing.

Nice kid, glad he is going to be a Deac!

Last edited:
Yeah he tweeted he was going to ball with his dad and his friends. It's "Rountree" also with no "d", common misspelling I feel in our future.

Yea sorry, on my phone apparently that's how it wants me to spell it.

For those of you who have seen him play or followed his recruiting a little closer than I have, how good is his ball-handling really? I know he's versatile, but could we legitimately play him at the point and move CMM and/or CJ off the ball?

Well tonight his skills weren't really tested.... I'll put it that way... But he did have a pretty good handle from what I saw.

Also the mods can fix the typo in the title from my phone... My bad

Yeah, but it's not like TC lights it up from deep.

He has an excellent handle for a 6'9 player, but I can't see him running the point at the college level. He can handle well enough to play the 3, potentially the 2.

He has a pretty good handle I think the most glaring weakness is his jump shot.

Can't understand how a kid can play enough basketball to merit a D-I scholarship and his most glaring weakness is his jumpshot. Wouldn't he acquire one just by being at the gym so much? What else are you doing at the gym/court?

Happens way too frequently.

13zdg5g.jpg

From what I've seen of Rountree he is a very friendly, classy Jamaal Levy with better handles.

He won't beat you with an outside shot, but he has a very quick first step for a big man and is extremely versatile. Is a good finisher when he drives to the rack, something our team sorely needs currently (see Nikita's under the backboard layup at the GT game).

He has an excellent handle for a 6'9 player, but I can't see him running the point at the college level. He can handle well enough to play the 3, potentially the 2.

He's not going to be covered by a PG. Thus he doesn't need the handles of a PG.

Few SGs or SFs are used to playing someone who is using dribbling to set up plays rather than to take the ball to the hole. They are also not used to covering people who take than three or four dribbles. They also aren't used someone who passes off of drives.

These are all advantages for Tree over his defenders and also reasons why he can be a very effective ballhandler.

Remember if he is ever covered by a PG, all he has to do is his back and take him 10' from the basket. We want him to be covered by a PG and then clear out the side.

Neither Pippen nor Pressey nor Lebron are good enough ballhandlers to play traditional PG. But each was very effective with the ball.

NO I'M NOT COMPARING TREE TO THESE GUYS!! What using them does is reinforce the premise I showed above.

Tree with a couple plays in here. His movements are so awkward sometimes, but effective. Definitely a different kind of player.

Paul Pressey has the longest arms I've ever seen. I saw him take the ball with his left hand, wrap it under his right arm and actually throw the pass under his left freaking shoulder. Seems humanly impossible, but he did it. I also saw him wink at every hot chick within three rows of the floor in an NBA game - while he had the ball. Those were the NBA salad days. He makes JJ Barea look like he has some sort of short arm disease that would allow him special parking at the grocery store.

I wonder what his wing span is?

I don't think we are going to have to worry about Scott Wood going crazy against us any more. Tree should be able to absolutely pester shooters at the 2/3 positions.

Back