• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Divisional Realignment

Why does Miami get the shaft with Pod 2? Their travel expenses will suck. Would it be better with UL and Miami switching?

Miami has a ton of alumni in the northeast, and they seek a lot of prospective students up here. I think they would rather stay in that pod.

Yeah this is true. I used the NC schools as an example, but for everyone to be happy the all NC schools playing each other every year won't happen - UNC wants to play Virginia, State wants to play Clemson, etc. Wake would probably get 2 of the NC schools every year, plus a school like BC. That's still much better than what we have now.

Don't we already play NCSU, Duke and BC every year?

Idea I saw on the Cuse board: No divisions and a "3-5-5" scheduling format is probably the best way to go. Each team plays 3 "rivals" every year and the remaining 5 conference games would rotate each year.

So for example: Wake's permanent games would be NCSU, UNC, and Duke.

Year 1 Wake plays UNC, Duke, FSU, Pitt, @NCSU, @Virginia, @GT, @BC
Year 2: NCSU, Syracuse, VT, Clemson, @UNC, @Duke, @Miami, @Louisville
Year 3: UNC, Duke, Miami, Louisville, @NCSU, @Syracuse, @VT, @Clemson
Year 4: NCSU, Virginia, GT, BC, @UNC, @Duke, @FSU, @Pitt

This way every ACC school plays every other ACC school home and away in a 4 year period. The way it is now it takes 12 years for Wake to play Coastal schools home and away.
With conference title games deregulated, just take the top 2 teams and have them play in Charlotte at the end of the year.

A team with three rivals is the exact same a division/pod/whatever with 4 teams. I do like the idea of splitting the remaining 5 every year, but with only 14 teams it doesn't line up easily -- if the ACC expanded to 16 teams including ND, with WVU or UConn maybe, it would work with a 3/6/6

Pod 1 - Big Four: WFU/dUKE/UNC/NCSU
Pod 2 - Northeast: BC/Cuse/Pitt/UL
Pod 3 - Southeast: Clem/FSU/Miami/GT
Pod 4 - Virginias: VT,UVA,ND I guess, WVU?

I wish they would just do away with the divisional requirement for a championship game. The status quo is grossly unfair. No divisions would be awesome.

Actually I guess it's not the exact same, come to think about it

In that example Duke, UNC, and State would have to have Wake as a "rival" but they wouldn't have to necessarily have each other as their rival

How would that line up?

Spent a little time playing with this, came up with the following rivals

TeamRival 1Rival 2Rival 3
WFUDukeStateBC
DukeWFUBCUNC
UNCStateDukeUVA
StateUNCClemsonWFU
ClemsonFSUGTState
FSUClemsonMiamiUL
GTMiamiVTClemson
MiamiGTUVAFSU
UVAVTUNCMiami
VTUVAPittGT
CuseBCULPitt
BCCuseWFUDuke
PittULCuseVT
ULPittFSUCuse

Last edited:
How about this:

Wake, dook, cheater hill, cow college, clem's son, uva, gt, and f$u. Wait, what?....the "old" ACC!

Screw the football realignment. :tear:

Bring back the bball round robin! :thumbsup:

Pretty sure UNC, Duke, and State would all rather play each other than us as their primary rivals.

UNC has both Duke and State listed, so that jives with what you're saying. And Wake and Duke are currently perennial rivals, same as UNC and State, so those stay put in this scenario, although I did disregard BC/VT and UL/UVA in favor of a perennial VT/UVA matchup.

State and Duke are in opposite divisions right now, just like WFU and UNC, so this would improve that by making the teams play once every other year rather than twice a decade

Also I disagree that Duke would rather play State than us

In that example Duke, UNC, and State would have to have Wake as a "rival" but they wouldn't have to necessarily have each other as their rival

How would that line up?

WFUDukeStateBC
DukeWFUBCUNC
UNCStateDukeUVA
StateUNCClemsonWFU
ClemsonFSUGTState
FSUClemsonMiamiUL
GTMiamiVTClemson
MiamiGTUVAFSU
UVAVTUNCMiami
VTUVAPittGT
CuseBCULPitt
BCCuseWFUDuke
PittULCuseVT
ULPittFSUCuse

if this format is adpoted, then these set of rivalries have a good chance of happening

i would switch the BC/Wake series with the Pitt/VT series though. Pitt/BC has a longer history (dating back to their days as eastern independents) than Pitt/VT and it really doesn't change anything from a competitive standpoint

Just curious as to why BC seems to be a common theme here as WF's rival partner. I get that UNC must have State and Duke as two of its rivals, and that they have long standing series with UVA, but if UNC is out of the mix as WF's rival, wouldn't it be more geographically logical to have VT as WF's rival partner? In geographic proximity, VT closest ACC rival is WF. Also, who would not want see a replay of that 3-0 OT classic every year?

Because the ACC already chose not to use that logic by putting Wake and VT in different divisions. Also, we'd probably rather play BC longterm.

Just curious as to why BC seems to be a common theme here as WF's rival partner. I get that UNC must have State and Duke as two of its rivals, and that they have long standing series with UVA, but if UNC is out of the mix as WF's rival, wouldn't it be more geographically logical to have VT as WF's rival partner? In geographic proximity, VT closest ACC rival is WF. Also, who would not want see a replay of that 3-0 OT classic every year?

6-3 2OT classic actually, but who is counting?

Nice work. These would be my minor changes:

BC: Syracuse, Miami, Duke
Clemson: GT, FSU, NC State
Duke: WFU, BC, UNC
FSU: Miami, Clemson, GT
GT: Clemson, UVA, FSU
Louisville: Pitt, VT, WFU
Miami: FSU, GT, BC
NC State: UNC, WFU, Clemson
Pitt: Louisville, Syracuse, Miami
Syracuse: BC, Louisville, Pitt
UNC: NC State, Duke, UVA
UVA: VT, UNC, Syracuse
VT: UVA, Pitt, Louisville
WFU: Duke, NC State, VT

Play half of the remaining 10 ACC teams in year 1 and the remaining ones in year 2. Play each ACC team at least once in a 2-year cycle.

How would that line up?

WFUDukeStateBC
DukeWFUBCUNC
UNCStateDukeUVA
StateUNCClemsonWFU
ClemsonFSUGTState
FSUClemsonMiamiUL
GTMiamiVTClemson
MiamiGTUVAFSU
UVAVTUNCMiami
VTUVAPittGT
CuseBCULPitt
BCCuseWFUDuke
PittULCuseVT
ULPittFSUCuse

Last edited:

Interesting that these GaTech guys put the 4 NC schools in the same pod. Their solution makes some sense, and is an interesting way around the NCAA
"divisions rule" I've never seen any NCAA rule regarding permanence of required divisions. Theoretically a conference could have a meeting every summer and change division alignments.

I like the GT idea - it doesn't feel elegant, but it's effective. And it reunites the Big 4, which is what I care most about.

Adding a 16th member would be all about $$$$$. NYC, Philly, and DC are the biggest natural markets in play. So, yeah, Penn St makes the most sense...but I can't see that happening. No reason to leave the Big 10. WVU gives you nothing. If the presidents can hold their nose re: academics, Cincinnati might be the target.

None of the football-focused schools (FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson) want anything to do with UConn and the hundreds of football fans they would bring to a road game. BC sure as heck doesn't want them, and I'd be surprised if Syracuse does, either.

This, this, this. 100x this.

Fuck UCONN. And frankly, fuck the small minded basketball only schools already in the ACC. This is a league that already has far too many hopeless football programs.

Back