• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC done with sports for now.

tvcigar

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Just released by the league.

For Immediate Release
Thursday, March 12, 2020
@theACC

Statement from the Atlantic Coast Conference:

“The Atlantic Coast Conference has suspended all athletic related activities including all competition, formal and organized practice, recruiting and participation in NCAA championships until further notice. The decision was made following consultation with the league’s presidents and athletic directors to mitigate the further spread of COVID-19.”

Statement from ACC Commissioner John Swofford:

“This is uncharted territory and the health and safety of our student-athletes and institutions remains our top priority. This decision is aimed to protect from the further spread of COVID-19.”
Facebook ‌ Twitter

Nothing to distract Currie now, so let’s get on with this.

"Recruiting and participation" and No practice could mean a dead period. Can you fire a coach during a dead period?

Wake Forest University has issued a memo stating that The Men's Basketball team would not be playing in the NCAA tournament this year if they are chosen as an at large team.

The dream is over.

Wake Forest University has issued a memo stating that The Men's Basketball team would not be playing in the NCAA tournament this year if they are chosen as an at large team.

The dream is over.

Bobby Lutz has withdrawn his name from consideration...

Don't really get the across the board ban. Seems like golf and tennis and even baseball (and track for that mattter) are sports which are played outside and where you essentially can/should keep a social distance. Isn't one of the reasons why air-born illness decline in the Summer is because people engage in more outside activities?

I get the limiting travel part of this, but that can be accomplished on an event by event basis. College golfers and college tennis players are going to play golf and tennis over the next month whether it's for their school or on their own. There are sensible steps that can be taken to limit the spread without an across the board ban on all activities.

I wonder if this would've happened had Rudy Gobert not tested positive. The NBA (and NHL) was about to announce playing out the regular season with no fans, and that was going to be the protocol for the conference tournaments and the NCAAs. Gobert's Eddie Haskell routine changed everything.

Don't really get the across the board ban. Seems like golf and tennis and even baseball (and track for that mattter) are sports which are played outside and where you essentially can/should keep a social distance. Isn't one of the reasons why air-born illness decline in the Summer is because people engage in more outside activities?

I get the limiting travel part of this, but that can be accomplished on an event by event basis. College golfers and college tennis players are going to play golf and tennis over the next month whether it's for their school or on their own. There are sensible steps that can be taken to limit the spread without an across the board ban on all activities.

I wonder if this would've happened had Rudy Gobert not tested positive. The NBA (and NHL) was about to announce playing out the regular season with no fans, and that was going to be the protocol for the conference tournaments and the NCAAs. Gobert's Eddie Haskell routine changed everything.

I agree with this assessment; however for schools such as WF who have closed the campus, the calculus includes then requiring/allowing athletes to stay on campus while no one else is there

NCAA Indoor T&F championships are this weekend - athletes may have been on their way, and now told they can't compete. Really, really sucks for them.

Living in Germnay and my wife working in contact with people at FRA it is a VERY real conern to both of us. All measures to stop the spread is needed.

With little or no spring football practice likely, it will be interesting to see what effect, if any, this has on fall season.
Will extra practice time be allowed in the summer? (assuming the world has recovered by then)

This whole thing is growing and changing so quickly.
How big will it get? How long will it last? Lots of unknowns.

With little or no spring football practice likely, it will be interesting to see what effect, if any, this has on fall season.
Will extra practice time be allowed in the summer? (assuming the world has recovered by then)

This whole thing is growing and changing so quickly.
How big will it get? How long will it last? Lots of unknowns.

Much like a sinus wave, it will peak and then decrease. All efforts currently are to minimize the peak. What no one knows is when the peak will occur.

Given the logistics of scheduling venues (stadiums, charters, hotels, facilities), I see almost no way the college football season could be delayed a month or so. But, maybe that's a possibility using emergency measures.

Strange times.

Much like a sinus wave, it will peak and then decrease. All efforts currently are to minimize the peak. What no one knows is when the peak will occur.

Given the logistics of scheduling venues (stadiums, charters, hotels, facilities), I see almost no way the college football season could be delayed a month or so. But, maybe that's a possibility using emergency measures.

Strange times.

I'll go out on a limb here with the thought that most, if not all, FBS schools own and control their football stadiums. So venues should not be an issue.

Charter planes and hotel rooms are the potential problem. Rebooking rooms to accommodate nearly 100,000 people in small to mid size cities would be a massive undertaking.

Places like Clemson, SC; Tuscaloosa, AL; Columbus, OH and many others. In bigger cities, other events may have been scheduled to not conflict with football weekends. That would also be a mess to reschedule.

My grade 7 prediction is football happens as scheduled in the fall.

I'll go out on a limb here with the thought that most, if not all, FBS schools own and control their football stadiums. So venues should not be an issue.

Charter planes and hotel rooms are the potential problem. Rebooking rooms to accommodate nearly 100,000 people in small to mid size cities would be a massive undertaking.

Places like Clemson, SC; Tuscaloosa, AL; Columbus, OH and many others. In bigger cities, other events may have been scheduled to not conflict with football weekends. That would also be a mess to reschedule.

My grade 7 prediction is football happens as scheduled in the fall.

God, I hope so! That means this mess will have resolved itself by then.

Regarding venues, I was thinking more along the lines of championship and bowl games in general. Many use NFL or high-demand stadiums for the elite games.

Bottom line: IT'S A DAMN MESS.

Back