• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Network to be Based in Connecticut, not Charlotte

Oh well, FSU, Clemson, Louisville & GT win the battle, just as they did a month or so ago when all this got tabled to this vote. They all already have huge non-conference rivalry games at the end of the season and apparently talked enough other teams [like us] into not having to battle more Power 5 teams. I hope one day we all go to 9 conference games but we shall see. The SEC doesn't need to go to 9 conference games as they have to play thru each other every week so they already have strength of schedule [but I am hoping they will go to it also one day!]

ACC is a better conference than the SEC in football now

$500,000 more per school doesn't seem like enough of an increase in pay to justify the increased scheduling headache.

So ACC programs losing $500K straight up and losing whatever we're paying for guarantee games.

ACC is a better conference than the SEC in football now

Come back & talk to me when the ACC wins several national titles in a row or at least a 5 year span [SEC 8 of the last 10]. Or maybe even has a winning record during the bowl season--ACC won 5 games last year to the SEC's 9 and in the 2014 season, what was considered a down year for the SEC, they still won 7 bowl games to the ACC's 4.

What I will give you is that we have made serious progress in our coaching and have upgraded Miami with Richt, VT with Fuentes, UVa with Bronco, Syracuse with Babers & we are on the rise in our 3rd year of Coach Clawson. We also now have 4 top teams instead of only 2 which drastically helps the league look better in big games [maybe 5 including Miami]. Up until this year we have been a very top heavy league of Clemson & FSU and then all the rest. We are now getting closer to competing with the likes of Bama, UGa, LSU, Ole Miss, Florida, Tex A & M, Tennessee & Auburn on a year in/year out basis. And hopefully competing with them on a yearly recruiting basis as it relates to the rankings as the SEC dominates that Top 25 also every year.

Looks to me like what this means is that the ACC will continue to have more crappy 6-6 bowl teams from the bottom half of the league, since you can get to 6-6 with a 3-5...or even 2-6....conference record and a cream puff OOC schedule. Really attractive stuff for a potential ACC Network.

Looks to me like what this means is that the ACC will continue to have more crappy 6-6 bowl teams from the bottom half of the league, since you can get to 6-6 with a 3-5...or even 2-6....conference record and a cream puff OOC schedule. Really attractive stuff for a potential ACC Network.

The ACC has a lot of bowl spots to fill. The 8+1 allowing for those "crappy 6-6 bowl teams" will allow the ACC better odds on filling the spots and not conceding them to non-P5 conference teams. Keeping those extra practice days in the league is a worthwhile tradeoff for the lost revenue.

Come back & talk to me when the ACC wins several national titles in a row or at least a 5 year span [SEC 8 of the last 10]. Or maybe even has a winning record during the bowl season--ACC won 5 games last year to the SEC's 9 and in the 2014 season, what was considered a down year for the SEC, they still won 7 bowl games to the ACC's 4.

What I will give you is that we have made serious progress in our coaching and have upgraded Miami with Richt, VT with Fuentes, UVa with Bronco, Syracuse with Babers & we are on the rise in our 3rd year of Coach Clawson. We also now have 4 top teams instead of only 2 which drastically helps the league look better in big games [maybe 5 including Miami]. Up until this year we have been a very top heavy league of Clemson & FSU and then all the rest. We are now getting closer to competing with the likes of Bama, UGa, LSU, Ole Miss, Florida, Tex A & M, Tennessee & Auburn on a year in/year out basis. And hopefully competing with them on a yearly recruiting basis as it relates to the rankings as the SEC dominates that Top 25 also every year.

Agree to disagree. I know you are an SEC homer but other than Alabama the SEC benefits from the hype they get year in and year out from ESPN and initial rankings. Makes it more difficult for other teams to move up the rankings and makes them drop less in the rankings when they "beat up on each other." The SEC has some great teams year in and year out but with what the ACC is producing with Clemson, UL, FSU most years, Miami, and UNC along with several others improving I just don't see it as being the head over heels better conference going forward.

ACC Network News/ Status Quo 8+1 Football Schedule Retained

The ACC is a better football conference than the SEC? What objective data would back that up?
I agree the SEC does get some favoritism with rankings. But you could argue duke and UNC do too in down basketball years. Some places just get "the benefit of the doubt" based on tradition or historical factors. But there is really no way in hell the ACC is a better football conference than the SEC. It's just crazy talk

Last edited:
Historically no question the SEC is better but it appears that the ACC is nipping at their heels

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

There are some ACC-SEC contests to use as a guideline: UF-Miami/FSU, UGa-GT, Clemson-USC, etc. In fact if I had my druthers, I'd like to see the OOC schedule be a series of conference challenges. Then you can take the champs from the four strongest conferences in the play-off. ESPN would love it, too; but I realize it's a pipe dream.

The SEC went through a stretch when it was clearly the most dominant conference. That stretch has ended. Bama stands alone as the top football program, but the rest of the conference is ordinary. Ole Miss may be the 2nd best team in the SEC, and FSU (who may not be among the top 3 in the ACC this year) spotted them a 20 point lead and blew out Ole Miss. The trends go in cycles, and the SEC may be dominant again, but right now, they have one great team, and then a bunch of mediocre teams.

ACC Network Will Be Based Out Of Bristol Instead Of Charlotte As Widely Thought

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2017/09/18/Media/ACC-Network.aspx

With the falling market of MSESPN, the ACC will be lucky if the network gets a follow thru. There is not near the $$$ floating around as there was 10 years ago. The NBA & NFL deals are money losers for the family of networks now. They have floated far too much into those network rights deals and Disney is paying dearly for it.

Don't know if I agree with that. Live sports is one of the very few tv products that people will continue to pay for. May not be as valuable as it was, but the new NBA deal shows that there is still a ton of money in live sports rights and it's still very profitable.

lol

Don't know if I agree with that. Live sports is one of the very few tv products that people will continue to pay for. May not be as valuable as it was, but the new NBA deal shows that there is still a ton of money in live sports rights and it's still very profitable.

Already a cost cutting measure bringing it back to CONN instead of staying in Charlotte. ESPN subscribership has gone from over 100 million to 88 million. Youngsters are getting rid of cable & satellite. That is where the main revenue comes from. The ridiculous NBA contract they signed several years ago would have been 30% lower if done this year. NBA players are far overpaid but lucky seeing how some journeymen are getting 3 year contracts for $41 million this week.

Already a cost cutting measure bringing it back to CONN instead of staying in Charlotte. ESPN subscribership has gone from over 100 million to 88 million. Youngsters are getting rid of cable & satellite. That is where the main revenue comes from. The ridiculous NBA contract they signed several years ago would have been 30% lower if done this year. NBA players are far overpaid but lucky seeing how some journeymen are getting 3 year contracts for $41 million this week.

Live sports are still valuable. People just aren't paying as much for it.

I see this more as not taking on exuberant additional costs in building new studios than cost cutting. Makes sense to take advantage of what already exists and the new multipurpose studios that will be built in CT

I thought ESPN was still operating studios out of Charlotte. They wouldn't need to build anything new.

Back