• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Tourney Championship Will Now Be Played on Saturday Night

I know I'm a traditionalist, but I really miss the 8 team ACC. 4 games on Friday involving all 8 teams, semi's on Saturday and final on Sunday. Now, we're going to be starting the tourney on a freaking Tuesday!!!!

I'm more of a traditionalist. 4 games Thursday, 2 Friday night, championship Saturday night.

The New ACC sucks. I hate that my kids will never experience the way the tournament used to be played and the excitement surrounding it. Teachers wheeling the TV cart into class and watching the games...taking vacation days so you wouldn't miss a minute...the preacher cutting his sermon short on championship Sunday so everyone could get home and watch...and if you were lucky enough to get tickets you went to every session.

Now it's just meh. I know some of that is because we suck, but it's still not the same.

Can you imagine what a teacher would say if you asked to watch ACC Tournament games on Tuesday?

I know I'm a traditionalist, but I really miss the 8 team ACC. 4 games on Friday involving all 8 teams, semi's on Saturday and final on Sunday. Now, we're going to be starting the tourney on a freaking Tuesday!!!!

I'm right there with you. This means you're forced to take 3 days off even if your team is good. Though I suppose you could take Wed/Thurs off and work on Friday! Not a fan of the new schedule. Was ESPN behind the change?

If/when Wake ever gets back into the ACCT CG, we'll like the extra day rest before the NCAAT begins.

Good move IMO.....games on Selection Sunday really suck. Now 1 less excuse for the committee to get top seeds wrong.....

So ESPN has turned us into the old Big East. Makes me sick.

One thing the old Big East did better than anybody was put on an end-of-season tournament. Of course they had the Garden and they had John Thompson, Louie Carnesecca, Rollie Massimino, and the Young Jim Boeheim, not to mention Pearl Washington, Kevin Porter, Patrick Ewing, etc., on the court. The Saturday night final game was usually a war on the court that was entertaining as hell to watch.

That's our toughest day, academically.

I'm worried that Manning's coaching will actually put us in MORE Tuesday tournament games than [Redacted]'s.

Makes Sunday a travel day for those trekking to NYC. I don't mind the primetime slot or the rest day. I'd only have the top 8 teams in the ACC tourney though, and go Thurs-Sat. It's all "meh" til then anyway.

Makes Sunday a travel day for those trekking to NYC. I don't mind the primetime slot or the rest day. I'd only have the top 8 teams in the ACC tourney though, and go Thurs-Sat. It's all "meh" til then anyway.

I know it will never happen, but that would be awesome. Regular season conference games would be so intense.

The New ACC sucks. I hate that my kids will never experience the way the tournament used to be played and the excitement surrounding it. Teachers wheeling the TV cart into class and watching the games...taking vacation days so you wouldn't miss a minute...the preacher cutting his sermon short on championship Sunday so everyone could get home and watch...and if you were lucky enough to get tickets you went to every session.

Now it's just meh. I know some of that is because we suck, but it's still not the same.

I hate to sound like a tired old geezer, but I find myself less and less interested in ACC sports as time goes by. Some of it, naturally, is age and increased family/work responsibilities, but a lot of it has to do with realignment, loss of rivalries, tourney formats, etc.

Something about the Manning hire seemed to push me past a boundary. I have nothing against Manning and have no reason to think he won't be a good coach, but the inevitable failure to land a top target seemed to prove beyond doubt that WF either can't or won't pull out all the stops to compete at a high level.

I had hoped that I would be excited about football and hoops this year for the first time in a while but for some reason I'm just "meh" about the whole WF sports enterprise right now.

Wait, people are upset with this? I always thought squeezing in the ACC final before the selection show on a Sunday was pretty terrible. Bad for attendance, tv ratings, and exposure for the league. When you travel you're leaving bags at a hotel having already checked out and your exit schedule sucks, plus you're watching tourney seeding on a runway somewhere or from a car.

Top 8 in the tourney should definitely happen though. Would be so much better. Play-in games counting as "ACC Tournament Wins" are a farce.

All championships should be on Saturday. This Sunday and Monday Bullshit has to go. I can't be plastered on a Sunday or Monday because I have to work and don't want to be hungover at work. I will say that it will be a shame you don't have the 4 game Fridays anymore, but oh well....Maybe I'm just jaded because I can't remember the last meaningful ACCT game Wake has played in.

All championships should be on Saturday. This Sunday and Monday Bullshit has to go. I can't be plastered on a Sunday or Monday because I have to work and don't want to be hungover at work. I will say that it will be a shame you don't have the 4 game Fridays anymore, but oh well....Maybe I'm just jaded because I can't remember the last meaningful ACCT game Wake has played in.

Seriously, when was this? I'll define meaningful as Saturday when we weren't a double-digit seed. My guess is 2003 when we lost to State on Saturday as a #1 seed.

Wait, people are upset with this? I always thought squeezing in the ACC final before the selection show on a Sunday was pretty terrible. Bad for attendance, tv ratings, and exposure for the league. When you travel you're leaving bags at a hotel having already checked out and your exit schedule sucks, plus you're watching tourney seeding on a runway somewhere or from a car.

Top 8 in the tourney should definitely happen though. Would be so much better. Play-in games counting as "ACC Tournament Wins" are a farce.

Having the whole tournament on Friday/Saturday/Sunday was great. My issue is more with when the tournament starts than when it ends. I'm far more likely to see it on Saturday night than Sunday after church. Starting a 15 team major conference tournament on Tuesday is a sad joke.

I'm all for only the Top 8 teams going. If they want to come up with something that includes every team, I recommend having an 8 team play-in tournament with the winner getting to be the #8 seed and travel to the ACCT site.

End the regular season on Wednesday night the week before the actual tournament. Hold the play-in tournament on Friday, Saturday, Sunday in Greensboro. Winner travels to MSG or Barclays or wherever for the noon tip on Thursday.

Seriously, when was this? I'll define meaningful as Saturday when we weren't a double-digit seed. My guess is 2003 when we lost to State on Saturday as a #1 seed.

We played Saturday in 2006 (as the first 12 seed in ACC history).

That's why I put the double-digit seed qualifier in there. I never thought we had a shot going into that game...though I do think we led at halftime.

Back