• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC transfers

TheReff

Rod Griffin
Reaction score
former 5* Chase Jeter is transferring from Duke

Marial Shayock, 6'5" guard from Canada who made 23 starts this year for UVa is transferring along with 6'7" sophomore Jarred Reuter

So it starts.

I hope Chase Jeter crushes it somewhere

UVA is gonna be really interesting next year. Shayok and Perrantes were the only ones most games who looked like they could create any sort of shot for themselves. Both gone now.

Shayok surprises me. He was pretty good and figured to get some serious burn next year, I figured.

Chase Jeter was #15 in the 2015 class according to Scout... One spot below Caleb Swanigan.

I just don't understand why a big would ever go to Duke.

I mean, who knows how he'd have done elsewhere, but I'm pretty sure he'd have played a heck of a lot more minutes.

Shayock really surprises. He's a true junior who turns 22 this summer. He's not a pro prospect. He is a prime candidate to have a breakout season at UVa and play himself into the draft or at least a decent shot at making a roster. He's not a Euro so he's not a lock to get an overseas deal. What is he going to do?

So Coach K tried to stash two top 25 big men on the end of his bench, and it only worked with 1. Marques Bolden is a basketball cuck.

What do you mean? We have short memories and Parker and Okafor are why bigs go to Duke?

Bigs go to Duke to win games and then play in the NBA. Name a program with more bigs in the NBA than Duke.

Bigs go to Duke to win games and then play in the NBA. Name a program with more bigs in the NBA than Duke.

Two problems with this simple logic.

Duke doesn't win as many games and championships as they should given the talent they have.

Those bigs would have made the NBA regardless of going to Duke. They don't need K to get them to the NBA. He's just a stopover.

The last Duke big to make an All-Star game was Elton Brand. The only two current NBA players to make an All-Star game are Kyrie and Deng.

Getting 5 stars to the NBA is not a Duke accomplishment. Harry Giles will be a Duke big man in the NBA and his college career was disastrous.

It's pretty simple, Duke and K have developed a very guard and wing friendly offense.

Two problems with this simple logic.

Duke doesn't win as many games and championships as they should given the talent they have.

Those bigs would have made the NBA regardless of going to Duke. They don't need K to get them to the NBA. He's just a stopover.

The last Duke big to make an All-Star game was Elton Brand. The only two current NBA players to make an All-Star game are Kyrie and Deng.

The same logic re: All Star games can be applied to your logic for making the NBA. They weren't gonna make the All-Star game regardless of where they went to college.

The sentiment of "why would a big man ever go to Duke" however, is dumb. Okafor and Parker were both all-Americans as freshmen.

Parker was 4 that played on the perimeter, Okafor was a dominant college talent. If you're one of those you might be okay. Other than that it's like a versatile WR going to play in a run heavy ball control offense in football.

Back