• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Al Groh as an announcer

+2----He is good at being a critic of questionable coaching decisions. He had a lot of material to work with tonight!

He certainly made his share of questionable coaching decisions in his career. He has a wealth of personal experience to draw on in that regard.

I thought it was a little ironic that Groh called our game, since our defense basically won the game and our offense did nothing, considering when he was our coach the offense could actually score points, but his defenses couldn't stop anybody.

Last edited:
I can do without the yankee accent.

Ya mon - a good response. Go Al. Will never forgive you for running out a kicker in 1985 or 86 for a game winning field goal at home without calling your available timeout, but alright alright.

Could work on the delivery for sure, but he was much more critical than most announcers are and it was actually refreshing to hear. Was baffled by several of our coaching decisions.

Could work on the delivery for sure, but he was much more critical than most announcers are and it was actually refreshing to hear. Was baffled by several of our coaching decisions.

He has little problem being critical. He is a prick who can't help but pick fights - comes naturally.

Our play calling was the only thing more annoying than his commentary. My favorite moment was when he confidently said "this is going to be a short pass" and it was a deep ball.

There's something about the quality of his voice timbre than was borderline grating. In terms of analysis, however, he does a solid job.

He has little problem being critical. He is a prick who can't help but pick fights - comes naturally.

He's the Johnny Miller of announcers.
Difference being he's not a hall of famer

Wasn't impressed. Stutters and stumbles about too much for me. I despise hearing a radio or television broadcaster say, "uh" or 'um" or...otherwise give the impression that they have no idea what to say, or how to say it.

Last edited:
He's the Johnny Miller of announcers.
Difference being he's not a hall of famer

No way. I like Miller and think he's a good announcer, even though he is much more critical than the CBS crew. He's a lot smoother than Groh announcing and is a really decent guy, whereas Groh is an arrogant shitebag.

Back