• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Alabama and Clemson players should boycott Monday's game

Cynical of me to think this way, but Missouri had nothing to play for and never actually boycotted a game. Bama and Clemson guys won't pass up the chance to win the championship they worked so hard for to enact changes they may not even still be in college to benefit from.
Just another old guy trying to tell young guys what to do.

Edit: It's a great summary of the injustices involved, I'd agree with that. But calling on kids to give up their dreams to set the rich exploitive adults straight doesn't sit well.

Edit again: It's asinine to think that players who won't take a challenging class for fear of losing their scholarship would actually follow through on threats to boycott any game, much less a national championship game, which would cost all parties millions.

Last edited:
Or just cap these ridiculous salries. You can easily get 200 capable people to want to coach football for a living for $200,000 a year.

If you pay all football players $50,000 a year you'll still get why is Nick Saban making $7 million and Derek Henry making $50,000 articles.

Most "pay the players" answers will result in football programs that lose money. If we can cap the amount senators make, we can cap the amount head football coaches can make.

isn't part of the issue that football programs are basically funding entire athletic departments since no one goes to watch softball and lacrosse and water polo games

If you pay all football players $50,000 a year you'll still get why is Nick Saban making $7 million and Derek Henry making $50,000 articles.

The issue isn't that coaches get paid and players don't.

Are the women getting exploited? Can they survive on their tickets sales? This is a sports agent looking for clients. If Wake paid it's Basketball and Football players, then they would shut down all the other men's sports and have just enough women's schollys to comply with title IX.

isn't part of the issue that football programs are basically funding entire athletic departments since no one goes to watch softball and lacrosse and water polo games

It's the elephant in the room that nobody on the PAY THE PLAYERS THEIR VALUE side ever really acknowledges.

If their ideal world occurs maybe 30-40 colleges can still afford to play football and pretty much all big time college AD's die.

Also I must miss all the outrage directed at the college athletes that are given much more than they contribute. Outside of about 5 women basketball programs, no female athlete should receive a scholarship in a fair pay model.

Don't think it was a great article as the author couldn't decide whether to write about the money made by coaches vs. the players or make a statement about race relations. His comment about the lopsided number of minority athletes as compared to the general student population is an interesting statistic but what is the point? No one forces a kid to take a scholarship at a school predominantly of a different race but if such opportunities weren't offered to athletes there would be howling at the moon...I liken much of the stats to the issue of dwindling numbers of African American players in MLB. It is labeled as racial in nature when I don't think that is the focus of young AA athletes any more (just like the non flood of golfers following in Tiger's footsteps). Whoever made the comment how much do you pay a star player as compared to the coaches is spot on as to the debate that ensues. On one hand, if the top paid coaches garner such a salary because they are able to recruit and sign the best players, if it becomes the best cash offer, do you need to pay the coaches as much? If it is a public school, should tax payer money be used to bring in a player? Would NC tax payers from NCSU want any portion of their tax dollars paying for a player to go to UNC?

It's the elephant in the room that nobody on the PAY THE PLAYERS THEIR VALUE side ever really acknowledges.

If their ideal world occurs maybe 30-40 colleges can still afford to play football and pretty much all big time college AD's die.

Also I must miss all the outrage directed at the college athletes that are given much more than they contribute. Outside of about 5 women basketball programs, no female athlete should receive a scholarship in a fair pay model.

Sounds like the solution is to make all the Olympic sport and women athletes become butlers for the football and men's basketball athletes.

Separate minor league football and basketball from academics. It's the only way.

I don't necessarily think athletes need salaries. Likely though, they deserve some additional compensation beyond what they already get. Whether or not that's proportional to the money they or their team brings in is an interesting thought.

I should acknowledge that I agree with them getting a greater stipend (PH's presented grad student research model is cool) and I think that is where we are headed. But sitting out the NC in order to bite the hand that feeds you is just dumb. Few athletes are more replaceable than college football players. It really is about the front of the jersey, not the back.

Ridiculous article. The solution would kill the golden goose. Nobody is being taken advantage of. Everybody is making choices of their own free will and it is beneficial to all involved. Top D1 athletes have a hell of a good deal. Worst part of the article is making this racial to boot.

The guy is wanting to add a huge number of potential clients.

At what point do we take into account all the free sex and celebrity college athletes get while being on a college campus.

Back