• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

Motivation to fire Manning is not the problem. Budgeting to pay the buyout and pay a new staff is the problem. I can't believe people don't realize this.

I get the concept, but being in major college athletics and being handcuffed by $15 million (much less according to RJ) is hard to accept as truth.

I get the concept, but being in major college athletics and being handcuffed by $15 million (much less according to RJ) is hard to accept as truth.

Any major payment has to be approved by people outside the AD. Hatch has been all in on Danny (and should be fired).

Are you being serious? Its not just about the DJI being down. Spring Sports were cancelled. Future AD revenue streams are very much in doubt. Will there be a football season? What will ACC payout be this year? These are the questions that Currie is facing right now. What he had lined up on March 1 is totally irrelevant at this point.

He is incompetent for not firing him in the 10 months prior to Coronavirus. Any questions he is facing now are his own damn fault as they relate to Manning, as Manning should have been long gone by now. You snooze, you lose. And the only thing Currie has shown over the past 10+ months is that he is a fucking loser.

He is incompetent for not firing him in the 10 months prior to Coronavirus. Any questions he is facing now are his own damn fault as they relate to Manning, as Manning should have been long gone by now. You snooze, you lose. And the only thing Currie has shown over the past 10+ months is that he is a fucking loser.

You really need to stop bloviating. As is the case with almost every subject, you have no clue.

Crossposting from the other thread, but please consider the following scenario:

Suppose that Mit offered $4mm of a $10 mm buyout. Currie goes to negotiate it down to that. DM argues for $12. In the meantime, all of the hotels in Mit’s portfolio have to close down and the market drops by 33%. You can’t see a scenario where MIT makes a call and says “John, I want to help. But as of now, I need to pull my money back. Work out what you can, and once I learn if my hotels are shut down for 3 weeks or 3 months, and once we are open again and generating cash, we can reopen this discussion. My employees and my family’s wealth are a lot more important to me than whether or not Wake loses 20 games next year.”

Is that incompetence from Currie? Or just bad timing and bad luck? Even if he had the other $6 in cash, he can’t do anything.

Right now, IF that scenario is true, he’s doing a few things: working DM, waiting on the world to get back to normal so he can get that money that Mit will hopefully still be able to put up, and he’s looking for new sources of funding.

Finally, I agree with whoever said the BOT isn’t going to sign off on handing anyone a $10 million check right now, unless it’s for the rights to the Coronavirus vaccine. So even if they approved it 2 months ago, they will have pulled that approval now. The optics of what happens to our basketball team 8 months from now is WAY down their list of interests.

Crossposting from the other thread, but please consider the following scenario:

Suppose that Mit offered $4mm of a $10 mm buyout. Currie goes to negotiate it down to that. DM argues for $12. In the meantime, all of the hotels in Mit’s portfolio have to close down and the market drops by 33%. You can’t see a scenario where MIT makes a call and says “John, I want to help. But as of now, I need to pull my money back. Work out what you can, and once I learn if my hotels are shut down for 3 weeks or 3 months, and once we are open again and generating cash, we can reopen this discussion. My employees and my family’s wealth are a lot more important to me than whether or not Wake loses 20 games next year.”

Is that incompetence from Currie? Or just bad timing and bad luck? Even if he had the other $6 in cash, he can’t do anything.

Right now, IF that scenario is true, he’s doing a few things: working DM, waiting on the world to get back to normal so he can get that money that Mit will hopefully still be able to put up, and he’s looking for new sources of funding.

Finally, I agree with whoever said the BOT isn’t going to sign off on handing anyone a $10 million check right now, unless it’s for the rights to the Coronavirus vaccine. So even if they approved it 2 months ago, they will have pulled that approval now. The optics of what happens to our basketball team 8 months from now is WAY down their list of interests.

Relying on 1-4 people, with no Plan B, is incompetence by Currie.

Danny Manning was never going to be fired during the season.

Relying on 1-4 people, with no Plan B, is incompetence by Currie.

in the history of all capital campaigns, I suspect that about 99% of them depend on the 80/20 rule and a few very large donors. When your large donors pull out, plan B is "don't spend the money."

Danny Manning was never going to be fired during the season.

Why not? Is there some kind of Acc rule that says this is true. Of course not, coaches get fired mid season all the time in every sport. Wfu and Currie were just too gutless to do it bc it wouldn’t be classy or some such bullshit the excuse. Winners make decisive decisions and losers twiddle their thumbs and worry about what other people think (barf I sound like Donald Ross now, but in this case it’s true)

Why not? Is there some kind of Acc rule that says this is true. Of course not, coaches get fired mid season all the time in every sport. Wfu and Currie were just too gutless to do it bc it wouldn’t be classy or some such bullshit the excuse. Winners make decisive decisions and losers twiddle their thumbs and worry about what other people think (barf I sound like Donald Ross now, but in this case it’s true)

Barring NCAA violations, virtually no coaches are fired mid-season in college basketball.

He took the job a year ago knowing what the deal is. If it is going to take him 2 years or more to accomplish it, he’s failed.

Bad take. I hope Manning is gone soon and believe Currie wants him gone, but refusing to acknowledge the huge societal changes in the last 3 weeks that have impacted what Wake can do here is just being dumb.

Not true. Midseason firings are rare in college basketball. https://watchstadium.com/an-examina...ing-changes-in-college-basketball-01-02-2019/

Currie just needs to tell the fanbase he’s keeping Manning, no need to drag this out. It’s like a 25 yr old telling your parents you got a DUI, you dont feel like telling them but you eventually have to.

it's more like a parent trying to make the promised trip to Disney happen, but when they lose their savings they have to tell their 7 year old kids that they can't go and the kids have a fucking tantrum.

Rare but not unheard of. And certainly called for in this case. Wellman was forced out because of the DM debacle and a new AD was brought in to fix the situation. Wellman did everything he could to sabotage our MBB program on his way out the door. This was certainly a time to do the rare thing. There were no real reasons not to fire Manning at any point in the last ten months and assign an interim. Our play this season, recruiting, nothing would have been any worse. Our play might have even improved. Heck, with recruiting, it's in our best interest to take a break from it until DM is gone and open up even more spots for a real coach to fill with ACC caliber players.

Ya'll are right. Things don't happen in a vacuum. Our context is 10+ years of sucking. Drastic measures needed to be taken and were not. Now we are stuck in limbo. I know I'd feel alot better in my quarantine boredom being excited about the future with our new great coach we hired.

it's more like a parent trying to make the promised trip to Disney happen, but when they lose their savings they have to tell their 7 year old kids that they can't go and the kids have a fucking tantrum.

No, it's like meth-head parents who mismanaged family finances for a decade and never took their kids anywhere nice and now the kids want new parents.

Back