• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Alma Mater being banned at the end of Football Games.......

George W. Paschal, Class of 1892 (Thuringian folk song)

Dear old Wake Forest, Thine is a noble name;
Thine is a glorious fame, Constant and true.
We give thee of our praise, Adore thine ancient days,
Sing thee our humble lays, Mother, so dear.

Dear old Wake Forest, Mystic thy name to cheer;
Be thou our guardian near fore’er and aye.
We bow before thy shrine, Thy brow with bays entwine,
All honor now be thine, Mother, today.

Had to be some sort of PC thing, reading both verses I can't see what could possibly be offensive. Maybe too many words that are usually used in church or something. Who knows in today's America?

I predict that this directive came from Bob McCreary who wants to replace the Alma Mater with a song (still being written) about how great Bob McCreary is (also honoring the Class of 1978 of course)

Apparently I "must spread some reputation around before I give it to Turd Ferguson again" but I would if I could.
I think that I can, and will. When I was there, the whole stadium just listened to the band play, and then erupted at the end with the only three words they knew.
Wrong, banana breath, I too have spreadeth not enough.

Last edited:
Long history of fans singing at athletic events. Maybe we should, as the fight song says "sing a hymn":

So......even if this decision has been reversed, I still haven't heard who made it in the first place.
I want to know and think they should be fired.
If I haven't found out by the next time someone calls asking for money, I'll ask them who it was and refuse to give anything until they are fired.
This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous
What's next.........we're not allowed to wear black and gold to home games? we're not allowed to cheer for our team?

I think you could fit our whole AD dept into a tiny car and give them all big red shoes to wear.

I predict that this directive came from Bob McCreary who wants to replace the Alma Mater with a song (still being written) about how great Bob McCreary is (also honoring the Class of 1978 of course)

So do you have a personal axe to grind or is this just a piss poor attempt at humor? (The class honored on the scoreboard is 1961)

There is no gain in bringing up Bob as most of the improvements to Groves Stadium and on campus have been mainly his money excepting Deacon Tower some. He is a good guy and when you give 14 or 15 million it's ok to put your name on some things. Hard to find a better Deac than he.

I'm certain that Bob would've had a hand in the reversal, not the original edict. I'll give HowBoutDemDeacs the benefit of the doubt and call it a humor fail.

Wake's athletic branding has struggled enough in the last several years without adding this pathetic scenario. Most of us look forward to hearing what fool started this ban and who reversed it.

I'm certain that Bob would've had a hand in the reversal, not the original edict. I'll give HowBoutDemDeacs the benefit of the doubt and call it a humor fail.

I took it as a joke and I thought it was funny too.

it was obviously a joke. some people are just dumb.

Back