• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Alumnus Mit Shah donates $5mil to Wake Forest Basketball

Sadly, people wouldn't donate to pay players. $5 million would be able to pay stipend to men's and women's basketball players for longer than this center will be active without renovations. And that's not even the total costs.

Why can't the endowment pay for that? And a whole lot of other things, including tuition reduction. What are we saving it for? Answer--nothing. It will never be spent.

Why can't the endowment pay for that? And a whole lot of other things, including tuition reduction. What are we saving it for? Answer--nothing. It will never be spent.

Is this serious?

Bob McCreary, Ben Sutton, David Couch, Mit Shah, WF has had a good run of loyal/successful alumni stepping up and supporting WF athletic department with massive donations. Pretty amazing considering our alumni base is a fraction of every other school that WF competes against.

Yep- brings to mind the old Deacon Mic Man chant after one of our inevitable at the time in the mid '80's screwed up plays in football:

"That's alright, that's OK, they'll be working for us someday!"

I think the donation is great.

First thing that strikes me is that there is plenty of money for facilities but no money to compensate players? Riiiight. :thumbsup:

These facilities, which include nutrition tables, strength training, skill analysis, medical care, etc. directly benefit student athletes.

Either a pretty clever joke or a mind-boggling hot take.

Funny either way though.

Lol, this is incredible. Just quoting one more time.

I'm going to go on a bit of a tangent here - I apologize - the comment about paying players got me thinking about this...

The other day my kid was playing NBA2K17. But it wasn't with NBA teams, it was college teams. Apparently, someone has modified the game to create 36 college teams, though it's actually just NBA players with their jerseys and courts modified to look like college teams. He and his friends play this, and NCAA Basketball 2010, all the time because they want to play as college teams. They don't really care about the specific players,* they just want to play Wake vs UNC. It made me wonder if you ran a poll of current college basketball and football players, how many would want the NCAA video game franchise back so they could play as themselves, their teammates, and friends. I bet it would be quite high. Some might argue that you should bring back the games AND pay the players for being in the game, but it appears there isn't a market for that or it would have been created already.

* This isn't entirely true. The one player they care about is Kenny George from UNC Asheville, because he's 7'7" - the tallest college player ever.

Bob McCreary, Ben Sutton, David Couch, Mit Shah, WF has had a good run of loyal/successful alumni stepping up and supporting WF athletic department with massive donations. Pretty amazing considering our alumni base is a fraction of every other school that WF competes against.

+1 ---- true!

The one player they care about is Kenny George from UNC Asheville, because he's 7'7" - the tallest college player ever.

Did you tell them that Kenny George lost his foot? Sad, sad story.

Back