• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

An Apology to Bz

Dear Jeff: I'm sorry you were hired. I'm sorry you were an epic failure. I'm sorry the fans and media failed to connect with you. I'm sorry that you were paid millions to do a job that you were woefully unqualified to perform. Please accept my apologies.

Dear Mr. [Redacted],

As a State fan, I have to apologize for my fan base who wholeheartedly agree that your hire was the worst in ACC history. The only consolation that you should take as a basketball coach is that you were equal to Sidney Lowe, who is now serving a federal prison sentence. Congrats on that, and I would also like to apologize to whichever NBA team hires you because it's the only job you can land after being a dismal failure as a head coach.

Sincere Apologies,

SaccoV

P.S. You should return at least 50% of your salary to Wake ticket holders. 'Earning' your salary as you have is grand larceny.

Last edited:
Isn't it great that for the first time in four years we will have a Buzzless weekend...If only we could add a Wellmanless weekend, everything would be magnolias!

I'll be honest, I've had 1 on 1 conversations with [Redacted]. I like the guy as a person tbh. I just didn't think he was the right guy to be our coach.

I'm the opposite. I've had 1 on 1's with him as well. Too many actually. I can't stand the SOB! He was a terrible coach, not debatable, but that has no bearing at all on why I hated him. I hated him for being a total prick who thought he could run over anyone that didn't matter.

It might enlighten all of us if you two could expound upon the circumstances where you spoke to [Redacted], so we could theorize as to why you had such different experiences. Just as a guess I would imagine that DeaconWalker spoke with Bzz during low stress situations, such as fundraisers, or through work in the AD, whereas I would guess that all of deputy deacons meetings with Bzz came during times where Bzz was upset or busy with getting to and fro while losing basketball games.

I will be glad for the day I don't have to read or talk about buzz any more. I am just so tired of it. I just want to get a new coach. Hopefully the comparisons to buzz will fade quickly, and I can get on with my life. I wish buzz well.

It might enlighten all of us if you two could expound upon the circumstances where you spoke to [Redacted], so we could theorize as to why you had such different experiences. Just as a guess I would imagine that DeaconWalker spoke with Bzz during low stress situations, such as fundraisers, or through work in the AD, whereas I would guess that all of deputy deacons meetings with Bzz came during times where Bzz was upset or busy with getting to and fro while losing basketball games.

I met with [Redacted] only a few weeks after he was hired as the coach. At the time I had a show on Wake Radio and I thought (jokingly mind you) that I'd ask our new head coach if he would come onto the show to do an interview with a student. I honestly thought that I was going to get a flat out no, or that the Athletic Department would contact me and tell me that I couldn't. [Redacted] responded back to me and told me that he would like to do the interview, a few days later the Athletic Department contacted me rather angry that I had contacted the coach directly to do an interview and that all requests of that kind had to go through them, they then preceded to give me a bunch of limits on what I could do while interviewing [Redacted] including a time limit asking what kind of questions I was going to ask and so on and so forth. I thought it was going to be a train wreck and was quite nervous when the day finally came around for the interview (I mean, at this point no one had really talked to [Redacted] as the head coach of Wake Forest basketball).

I met [Redacted] at the elevator that went up to the studio and greeted him he thanked me for having him on and then we went into the studio. Someone else was doing some show where they were literally just reading a book aloud and as we waited [Redacted] and I chatted it up. He talked about how the lounge in the Wake Radio studio reminded him of some places when he was in college and we kind of chatted small talk about him moving to town and so on. He told me not to be nervous about the interview and when I mentioned some of the limits the AD gave me he basically brushed them off and told me not to worry about it. I don't remember every question I asked during the interview but I do remember asking him how he felt about coming into a conference with so much history and how he would make his mark against coaches like K, Roy Williams, and Gary Williams. He gave me pretty general answers which is what I expected out of him since he was new to the job but he was very personable and very relaxed guy. If someone at the University took the time to sort through all the old Wake Radio recordings they could probably find it and dig it up but all in all he was a nice dude.

The second time I met him my friends and I had decided that since were weren't going to get the chance to camp out a game like the Prosser days we would just do it for the hell of it. So before the Duke game in the 2011 season we camped outside of the Joel. Apparently the AD and the team got wind of this and the Athletic Department contacted me and asked if I needed a generator or a porta potty or anything like that and I turned it all down, my friends were just going to camp in a tent. Well we got there at about 9 o'clock, set up the tent and just kind of hung out. Sure enough at 10 o'clock or so [Redacted] comes rolling up with his wife to meet us and talk to us for a bit and thank us for being such great fans and that he told the team about what we were doing and that the team was in disbelief that someone would do that. He asked us if we wanted anything, pizza or anything like that. We told him that if we could just get some chips and drinks we could make it through the night. 30 minutes later he came back with chips and drinks and thanked us again and his wife thanked us for our support and they left. Once again, nice guy completely relaxed.

This was all within his first 2 years as coach, at that time I was willing to wait it out until year 3 or 4 to see what happened. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt as I will with any coach for the first few years. Like I've said before, he had to go, he wasn't getting the job done. But he was a super nice guy every time I met him.

180124_10150368549920244_1250434_n.jpg

I will be glad for the day I don't have to read or talk about buzz any more. I am just so tired of it. I just want to get a new coach. Hopefully the comparisons to buzz will fade quickly, and I can get on with my life. I wish buzz well.

You could start by not reading a thread with his name in the title.

Great story! But everyone knows it can't be true. Can't be. It simply doesn't fit the image we have of him.

DeaconWalker you must be too young and naive to discern what is real and true; otherwise you would not have been taken in by this charade. When you grow-up you will be as discerning as we are.

Till then, enjoy these unrealistic ideas.

Great story! But everyone knows it can't be true. Can't be. It simply doesn't fit the image we have of him.

DeaconWalker you must be too young and naive to discern what is real and true; otherwise you would not have been taken in by this charade. When you grow-up you will be as discerning as we are.

Till then, enjoy these unrealistic ideas.

51-76 (17-51)
Twelfth, twelfth, ninth, thirteenth

Truth.

Yeah that's true, but again when Wellman talked about digging deeper yesterday, I think he didn't dig deep enough. If he had he'd have known what a complete liability Jeff [Redacted] is with the media and fans just because of his personality. I doubt Bzzzz's personality was any different at Air Force or Colorado, but for whatever reason Wellman either didn't bother to really dig into that or he just didn't care.

The first YouTube video of him that I found on Google told me his personality was a poor fit. Every successful ACC coach I can think of in my lifetime has an overwhelming hunger to win that comes out in every interview. They have an energy that recruits and players and fan latch onto.

Bz didn't have it. He seemed out of touch and aloof.

Last edited:
That's all fine. But Bz himself comes across as an ass in his interactions with people. And that is his fault. He could have been just as bad at coaching as he is and if he had just the least little bit of a likeable personality then much of the vitriol directed at him would have been refocused on Wellman. Conversely, if he had actually won games, then his personality wouldn't matter.

You can be a good basketball coach and an unlikable person or you can be a bad basketball coach and a likeable person (at least for a while) but you can't get away with being a bad basketball coach with a bad personality.
This sums up my feelings exactly!

You got the entire student section in that picture. Kudos.

I do remember that when we lined up the next morning there was a girl that was in the line to get in that was wearing a Duke shirt underneath her Wake shirt and I went up and talked to Mike Odom and got her kicked out of the student section for wearing a Duke shirt, other than her yea that pretty much was the student section lol.

Back