• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anthony Grant fired

Trevor Lacey screwed him.

You have to think Bama's going to go hard after Mike White.

Anthony Grant had one losing season and three 20 win seasons starting at 2009 at Alabama. NR had one winning season by one game starting in 2010 at WFU. I'll take Grant all day long.

I think he's referring to the end of season till now. They just ended their season on Thursday.

Without the second second sentence in the original post you might be right.

Grant was 116-83 at Alabama (58%). For reference, Gottfried was 210-131 (62%).

Grant took them to the tourney only once in seven years, Gott took them five times in eleven years. Bama was one of the first four out in 2011, though, and ended up losing in the NIT finals.

They're scared of. Bruce Pearl at Auburn and feel like Grant's not a guy who can compete with him.

Must be nice for firing a coach for underperformance on the same day you accept an NIT bid.

About like firing one and citing underperformance in the pst season after just winning a first round NCAA game....

Bama has just never had sustained hoops success under any coach. But they will fire guys with winning records who don't achieve what they think they're capable of. So that pretty much means they've never had a successful coach. Not that I feel particularly sorry for Grant - he's being well compensated, and he'll find another decent gig soon.

Wimp Sanderson had a pretty good run. At one time I think they went to 5 straight Sweet 16s under him. They just couldn't take the next step. Gott got them to a regional final but obviously had other issues.

Mark Gottfried says Anthony Grant is toxic!

Bama has just never had sustained hoops success under any coach. But they will fire guys with winning records who don't achieve what they think they're capable of. So that pretty much means they've never had a successful coach. Not that I feel particularly sorry for Grant - he's being well compensated, and he'll find another decent gig soon.

Eh, they're certainly not the most storied program ever, but they did make the tourney five straight years from 2002 to 2006. They also made it 12 of 14 years from 1982 to 1995, which included six trips to the Sweet 16.

Anthony Grant, Jon Pelphrey and Kliff Kingsbury.. This board's love affair with potential coaching candidates needs some work.

Anthony Grant, Jon Pelphrey and Kliff Kingsbury.. This board's love affair with potential coaching candidates needs some work.

At least we didn't have a man crush on Jeff [Redacted] for 9 years like our esteemed leader did (/ does).

The board never had a love affair with Kingsbury as a coach. They had a love affair with Kingsbury's persona. And nobody thought Kingsbury was a serious coaching candidate.

Back