• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Any BOT on this board or anyone here talk to a Board of Trustee member?

Let me give you an example of a guy that is at least a substantial donor to Wake athletics over the years. He has been a Deacon fan since he was a kid, is a former WFU athlete, and season ticket holder since the early 90's after graduating. He has 4 football tickets dead on the 50 and maybe the best seats in the stadium and, up until Buzzdumbass, had great basketball tickets until he chose not to renew after he arrived. He knew Buzz was an absurd hire so the heck with thsoe tickets. He has been a donor and fan to the level that he has ridden on the team planes with the players to away games and sat right next to Wellman. He could tell you who wore what number 20 years ago, and followed the teams with ferver. He has served on Deacon Club board several years. He never, ever missed watching a game on TV that was either an away game or one he couldn't be there for live. But, in the last 3 basketball seasons, he has not watched a total of one half of a basketball game on TV put together and has been to exactly zero games since Buzz came. And he can't name more than 4 players right now who are even on the team. That's how completely miseLrable the Buzz hire is. He has completely lost interest in the basketball program under Buzz. Completely. It's just so disgusting what the Buzz hire has done to the program. Yeah, you might say a real fan would stick with them and follow them anyway. You know the counter argument. And BTW, he has not given one penny to the Deacon Club since the Buzz hire, beyond the absolute minimum membership. That's his/my right. Obviously, I am describing myself but my point was do you realize how many more are just like me?? How many more "he's" there are? I know several of them myself. We have given gobs of money to the athletic department and supported them over the years, and even taken personal time to work on their behalf. We have always tried to do our best to help the school and the athletic teams we have loved for so long. Wellman hired the wrong guy. Ok, mistake made. They happen. But don't keep making it each season by bringing this guy back and decimating - what we have all chipped in to back - this program and athletic department just so you won't look like you fucked up. That ship has sailed. Wellman, you fucked up. Both you and Buzz stop the ridiculous excuses. It's embarrassing. Now either fix it now or there are gonna be enough like me who have stopped the $ and the attending games that you will go down with the ship. First. And it's my feel that it's going to happen and soon.

There are hundred just like you, and at Wake that means a lot. My son had to tell me who every player on the team was besides CJ Harris against Nebraska. I used to watch every game with other wake guys, we haven't watched games in 3 years.

This sucks!

It's hard to keep up with who is on the floor between shaking my head and the facepalms.

Good thread. Hopefully those in positions of influence will use it and spare us schmoes more embarrassment.

guitar, I may have missed it. What's your take on Grobe and his staff?

Ph, I don't think it gets any better than Grobe at Wake. I mean it might for 3 years or something, but not long term. If any other coach comes in here and has success at the level or greater than Grobe, he is off to the next job promotion and we start over. Grobe has us maybe bowl maybe not bowl just about every year. Grobe is first class and his players worship him. As I said, sometimes I've ridden with the team on the charter to away games and the buses to and from the airport and games and stayed with them at the team hotel etc. It is awesome to see how Grobe is with the players and vice versa. Those players would walk in front of a bus for Grobe. Anyone that would get to spend some time with the team and Grobe would doubtful want to see Grobe ever leave. It is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen. But I do think he needs to freshen up his coordinators. One of the letters I mentioned above by a donor with huge sway (if it is possible - he has it) was actually being written about Grobe, and I told him how much I disagreed with him on that. This was right after the Duke loss if I remember correctly. Now he has turned his attention to Buzz. I don't think he even cares anymore about how he felt about Grobe at that time.

Ph, I don't think it gets any better than Grobe at Wake. I mean it might for 3 years or something, but not long term. If any other coach comes in here and has success at the level or greater than Grobe, he is off to the next job promotion and we start over.

So, find the next guy. IMO, it beats having someone who gets complacent and is just waiting for retirement while catching up on the latest "This American Life" through his headset during the games. Locking Grobe in for a "lifetime" allowed the wrong mindset to set-in.

Grobe has us maybe bowl maybe not bowl just about every year. Grobe is first class and his players worship him. As I said, sometimes I've ridden with the team on the charter to away games and the buses to and from the airport and games and stayed with them at the team hotel etc. It is awesome to see how Grobe is with the players and vice versa.

IIRC, there's been a few posts lately from past players on Twitter, etc that paint a different picture for some. I have no doubt many players like Grobe a lot though. Something I always keep in mind is that the players LOVED Caldwell too. They probably wouldn't like him as much if he was actually giving them hell on the sidelines.

Do we really think that letters written by Deacon fans unknown to the administration will have any more impact or raise awareness of the problem beyond the financial implications of plummeting ticket sales and declining donations? To understand how the rank-and-file Deacon fan feels, just look around the Joel on game day. If you are not alarmed, sad and embarrassed by what you see, you are not going to give one whit about the contents of a letter writing campaign.

Do we really think that letters written by Deacon fans unknown to the administration will have any more impact or raise awareness of the problem beyond the financial implications of plummeting ticket sales and declining donations? To understand how the rank-and-file Deacon fan feels, just look around the Joel on game day. If you are not alarmed, sad and embarrassed by what you see, you are not going to give one whit about the contents of a letter writing campaign.

That a big 'word up' right there.

Something I always keep in mind is that the players LOVED Caldwell too. They probably wouldn't like him as much if he was actually giving them hell on the sidelines.

Players really did love Caldwell from the ones I know as well.

Back