• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Any Issues With The Left Side Of The Defense?

oldmandeac

Reaction score
This may have been discusses within the various game threads but I thought I'd try to isolate the issue.

As others have noted, Wake has given up 3 long touchdown runs by QBs in the 4th qtr of the last two games (can't remember if there were long yardage plays in FSU, Clemson which didn't make it to the endzone)

The question becomes is it because of an injury or two on that side, fatigue, the defense called on those particular plays, or just the same player missing his assignment? Other?

Perhaps he is just too elusive, but we appeared almost reluctant to hit Jackson hard with shoulder tackles.

Perhaps he is just too elusive, but we appeared almost reluctant to hit Jackson hard with shoulder tackles.

Jackson is just a special talent. The speed and elusiveness he has is just very rare. I think what that does is make it hard for a defender to really commit to a tackle because your afraid he won't be there.

Jackson is just a special talent. The speed and elusiveness he has is just very rare. I think what that does is make it hard for a defender to really commit to a tackle because your afraid he won't be there.

That's a good way to put it. Similar to how they were talking about Barry Sanders during SNF.

There was one play (believe it was 3rd and something and Jackson ended up breaking off a long non-TD run), where Bassey (I think) inexplicably crashed down into the box to go after the RB, despite Jackson keeping and trucking around the end. Luckily, he ran right into Bates, who shoved him back the other way, and he was able to finally push Jackson out of bounds way on down the field. Every single person in the stadium knew that Jackson would keep it in that situation, yet the guy on defense that mattered the most on that play went after the RB. I would love to know if Bates said anything as he was shoving him back in the other direction.

There is no "left side" to our defense really. We move around our DE's and rotate nonstop on the line. It's probably just happenstance that it occurred on the left side each time.

We did a pretty decent job with Jackson all day, but he is bound to wear you down eventually, which he did. If you lose contain on him for even one play then he will make you pay.

I re-watched a good portion of the game today and Duke Ejiofor playing the zone read is truly fun to watch. He is so damn disciplined and knows what to do to force the offense into making a decision that plays right into where the defense is.

There is no "left side" to our defense really. We move around our DE's and rotate nonstop on the line. It's probably just happenstance that it occurred on the left side each time.

We did a pretty decent job with Jackson all day, but he is bound to wear you down eventually, which he did. If you lose contain on him for even one play then he will make you pay.

I re-watched a good portion of the game today and Duke Ejiofor playing the zone read is truly fun to watch. He is so damn disciplined and knows what to do to force the offense into making a decision that plays right into where the defense is.

Yeah, that shows how special a player he is, because his numbers were crazy, but we actually did a pretty good job of containing him. I think the 2 key sequences in the game were: 1- our defense getting a stop and our offense scoring the TD to go up 35-10, after Dortch fumbled the ball out of the end zone. I was sure that play was going to turn the game in their favor. 2- Bassey's interception in the endzone when Ville was at the 5 yard line in the 1st half. Both were huge to keep mighty mo on our side.

That was such a bad throw by Jackson. I have no idea what he was doing. Bassey made a really good play to pick it off, but even if he had knocked it away or just missed it then it wasn't going to hit the receiver back there.

He was trying to fire it through to the WR in the back corner of the endzone.

Jackson ran for one... the GA Tech QB did it twice.,., unless you are saying the two players are special my question stands... it isn't a one off thing... it happened twice vs. GA Tech and against Louisville... is there an issue?

Jackson ran for one... the GA Tech QB did it twice.,., unless you are saying the two players are special my question stands... it isn't a one off thing... it happened twice vs. GA Tech and against Louisville... is there an issue?

Yeah. Those are two excellent running QBs.

You could probably get a tape of the game and re-watch those 2 plays v. Ga Tech. It's fairly obvious what is happening there with no Aaron Curry or Marquel Lee style LB, even when we have an angle.

Or: recruit speed at LB, please.

You realize they were run from different offences. Hard to call out defense as assignments were not the same.

Back