• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Anyone Remember These Days?

coredeac

Reaction score

Before Ron Wellman blew the ever-living hell out of our basketball program?

Last edited:
Thanks Ron! You’ve murdered these types of atmospheres forever seemingly you piece of shit.

I see a serious lack of culture and some questionable sock wearing.

Last edited:
Man that Duke game, and the Carolina game right before it were the most fun I’ve ever had in the Joel. That place was rockin!

I remember when we blew the roof off the Joel laying like a 30 point beat down on Kansas. Now that was fun!

I was at all 3 of those games, and the Kansas beat down. So much fun

Laugh now, but if Kenny Gregory had played the outcome would have been much different.

That Duke intro, the first three starters, all still in the league.
Rodney's 360, Childress hits like 6 threes in 6 minutes in second half to blow it wide open.

I can't find any video of the 2OT game against Duke in 2003, so here's this:

a-gray-021303.jpg

Also found this gem of an article from 2006: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=223881

We beat Duke three years in a row at the Joel. #HistoricallyCompetitive

That Wake-Duke intro always gives me chills.

That's probably the one where Duke radio homer Bob Harris accused the Deacon of intentionally aiming the chopper's exhaust at the Duke bench in an attempt to gain an advantage.

To answer the question, sure do remember those days and good times a lot earlier than those, but they all seem much longer ago than they should.

we beat Duke 9 times in a row in the early/mid 90s

That's what sticks in my crawl. We've got the potential to be that kind of program. Coach K was more than 10 years in to his tenure at that point and we dominated them for a 4 years stretch. We've got the potential to be an elite program in basketball, but Wellman has destroyed it and unfortunately with the expanded ACC, it's going to be much harder to get to that point.

That's what sticks in my crawl. We've got the potential to be that kind of program. Coach K was more than 10 years in to his tenure at that point and we dominated them for a 4 years stretch. We've got the potential to be an elite program in basketball, but Wellman has destroyed it and unfortunately with the expanded ACC, it's going to be much harder to get to that point.

I will say this: One player doesn't make a program capable of being a legendary juggernaut. This is imaginative thinking of home fans.

Back