• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Apartments in Charlotte

DEACisGO

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Roommate and I are looking to move outside of uptown Charlotte. I don't really know much about apartments in the city except for the overpriced places downtown/southend/dilworth. Any recommendations for affordable places in decent neighborhoods? We don't mind commuting but being close to a 77 or 85 would be a plus as I work uptown.

i lived in the fairington (next to philips place) for a while and liked it. i know a bunch of people who have lived in eastover ridge and like it.

with that said, i think that right now, the deals are better on renting houses than they are on renting apartments.

What do you mean by affordable? How many BR/BA, rent/mo?

There are multiple offerings around downtown in the $1400+ area for a 2br/2 Bath apartment. I assume there would be cheaper places farther out, maybe in the $1000 range and still in a good neighborhood.

I live in Dilworth Edge and our total rent is <$850 for a 2 br/1ba. For the record, our place sucks but each condo is individually owned so some are super nice and some suck. Couple blocks from East Blvd and all that. The neighbors have a 3 br/2 ba with hardwood floors, patio, etc for about $1200.

I'd look at Highland Mill in NoDa. Very convenient to Uptown, next to the Johnston Y, walk to bars and restaurants. 2BR/2BA is around $1,100 last I saw.

There's decent stuff in SouthPark: The Colony at 3701 Roxborough Pkwy

Also, Farington ($800), Eastover Ridge ($1,000 - 1,300), Parkhill (Park Rd @ Marsh Rd, $800), Salem Village (Dilworth near park rd, $900)

Definitely check out Strawberry Hill at 4101 Providence Rd. Those are $1,000.

I'd check Craigslist for condo rentals. Also check with MECA and TR Lawing.

I'd look at Highland Mill in NoDa. Very convenient to Uptown, next to the Johnston Y, walk to bars and restaurants. 2BR/2BA is around $1,100 last I saw.

Also, Farington ($800), Eastover Ridge ($1,000 - 1,300), Parkhill (Park Rd @ Marsh Rd, $800), Salem Village (Dilworth near park rd, $900)

Awesome, thanks!

After graduating I lived in a condo complex in Elizabeth, the neighborhood northeast of Dilworth. I was in a 3-bedroom townhome and my rent was right at $500/month. It was a cool little neighborhood with a lot of young people and was two blocks from an area that is really blowing up now (Jackalope Jack's, Kennedys, etc.)

Here's a map of the area:

http://tinyurl.com/6ltlwd8

Last edited:
The wife lived in Wesley Village last year. It's a pretty good local and the rent wasn't all that bad for being in Charlotte just outside the city. It was a brand new complex and they were the first for move in. Awesome amenities (pool/lounge/workout/running trails). I know one of the Panthers running backs lives there or at least he did last year. I would go running from there up to the stadium and around it so that might give you a feel of how close to stuff it is (disclaimer: i dont run more than 3 miles at a time). It's located on freedom drive right off of west morehead street. 2 seconds off of 77 and a few mins from 85. Pinky's westside grill and burger co. are w/in walking distance. My only issue was that just a little bit further down freedom and it becomes the ghetto but the apt complex is a gated community. Also has a dog park and free gas grills stationsed all over the complex for everyone to use.

Wesley Village is a nice development and Wesley Heights is a nice stable neighborhood in general, but you probably wouldn't stray too far. Also, shopping for groceries and just about anything else can be a challenge in that neighborhood.

Definitely agree with the Craigslist rec. That's how we found our condo. We live right in the heart of historic dilworth (right between East and South) in a 2BR/2.5BA, 1300 sq ft with hardwood floors throughout, big brick patio, etc and pay $1300. Lived in Eastover Ridge for a while and wanted to upgrade this past year. Most of the people around us pay $1400+ for smaller/less nice place Eastover is great because it's dirt cheap, (we paid $800) and has two pools, weight room, indoor basketball gym. Unfortunately, the crowd that lives there has really gone downhill. But if you're style is guido-ish types with multiple tats, then it could be a home run.

my cousin also used to live in alexander place, which is by the harris Y. i looked there when i first looked at apartments in charlotte, and really liked the floorplans and amenities. i ended up finding a cheaper place, but it was definitely a good complex.

Good suggestions all, it's going to be a busy weekend of apartment shopping.

If I were single and working in uptown, I would definitely be somewhere in Southend/NoDa or any of the other neighborhoods within a 2.5 mile radius of uptown. Forget the commute and take the bus/train...or walk on nice days. You can definitely find something in the $1000-1100 range. Hell, you can find nicely renovated Bungalows in Belmont/Villa Heights/Optimist Park where I live for $850 or so.

I had a place in Birkdale Village (exit 25 on 77) and loved it. At least when I was there ('07-'09), I was surprised by how reasonably priced they were....

If they fit what you're looking for; I would recommend trying to grab dinner one night w/ your roommate Red Rocks on the outdoor patio.... Birkdale is a unique development (particularly the crowd it attracts) ; its not for everyone... kicking back for a few drinks at RR & getting a feel for the neighborhood would probably be a good idea if you're interested in the places there.

If I were single and working in uptown, I would definitely be somewhere in Southend/NoDa or any of the other neighborhoods within a 2.5 mile radius of uptown. Forget the commute and take the bus/train...or walk on nice days. You can definitely find something in the $1000-1100 range. Hell, you can find nicely renovated Bungalows in Belmont/Villa Heights/Optimist Park where I live for $850 or so.

i agree with this. though i think the highlights of both places are the houses, not the apartments. if you're at all open to the idea of a house, there are GREAT deals in southend, that are all really, really accessible to the light rail, which makes a commute really easy.

I had a place in Birkdale Village (exit 25 on 77) and loved it. At least when I was there ('07-'09), I was surprised by how reasonably priced they were....

If they fit what you're looking for; I would recommend trying to grab dinner one night w/ your roommate Red Rocks on the outdoor patio.... Birkdale is a unique development (particularly the crowd it attracts) ; its not for everyone... kicking back for a few drinks at RR & getting a feel for the neighborhood would probably be a good idea if you're interested in the places there.

The forced "urban" neighborhood in the suburbs where parents drop off their high school kids to run around at night?

Sorry, not a fan of the place. Feels way to, well, forced. Pretend urban with chain restaurants and a crappy commute to top it off. I guess you're right, it's not for everyone. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

I lived in Salem Village for a few years and loved it. Our place was 3 stories, about 1,800 square feet. 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, plus a second living room in the walkout basement to a fenced in patio. Granted it was several years ago, but it was $900 for the entire thing (towards the height of the real estate market). We used to just walk up to East Blvd every night for dinner, and over to Freedom Park. The buildings are a little older than elsewhere, but the size and location relative to the cost was fantastic.

I'm in a palatial 525/mo 1 br in Elizabeth. I love the neighborhood.

The forced "urban" neighborhood in the suburbs where parents drop off their high school kids to run around at night?

Sorry, not a fan of the place. Feels way to, well, forced. Pretend urban with chain restaurants and a crappy commute to top it off. I guess you're right, it's not for everyone. :thumbsup:

I was trying to artfully dance around saying I loved the place & following it with a line about prosti-tots running around all over the place. But yes, you're completely right.

Back