• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Applying to Jobs Where You Don't Currently Work/live

ONW

Reaction score
I know the industry, company, and city are huge variables, but hiring managers, business owners, executives etc., do you even consider applicants that are currently a significant distance away from the opportunity? Let's assume the candidate is in medical devices sales and looking at jobs on the West coast while living/working on the East coast.

Some companies would not consider. For others the distance won't necessarily put you out of consideration but it most likely would be a small negative for unfamiliarity with the area and relocation expenses.

To quote a famous line, "You gotta know the territory."

I recently applied for a job in Florida (currently in SC) and the company interviewed me a few times and even sent me out to LA to corporate headquarters. I ended up not getting the position and the territory thing came up several times. While lack of sales experience was my obvious flaw, the relocation definitely played a role.

Coming from a field in which almost all job candidates apply from a significant distance away, this is sad to hear. Talented people must get passed over in favor of locals. Seems like relocation costs are a small price to pay someone who could make far more in profit.

Thanks for the responses. So it might not go right to the deleted file, but it's halfway there after 30 seconds? Any software HR people know if the screening programs just automatically kick you out?

Coming from a field in which almost all job candidates apply from a significant distance away, this is sad to hear. Talented people must get passed over in favor of locals. Seems like relocation costs are a small price to pay someone who could make far more in profit.

Seems like a good policy for a sales position where knowing the "territory" is a huge advantage.

Seems like a good policy for a sales position where knowing the "territory" is a huge advantage.

No doubt. Seems like it may come at a cost. How long does it take to learn a territory?

No doubt. Seems like it may come at a cost. How long does it take to learn a territory?

It is all risk assessment. Can you risk losing accounts while someone learns the territory with the hope for payoff later on, or do you settle for someone who can smoothly transition?
We
It's about playing the percentages. Of course, big risks can often yield big rewards.

It also matters who your competition is for the position. If your local competition stinks, then that advantage can be turned to your favor. You can also actively turn the lack of local knowledge to your favor by framing it correctly (i.e. you have no pre-conceived notions or bad habits in relation to the position.) It is always worth taking a shot.

Reactions: ONW
How about a little positive reinforcement? If you are significantly above your quota or projections in your current job or if some of your current clients have offices in your new location, it might help you.

It's not going to be easy, but let's be a little positive.

How about a little positive reinforcement? If you are significantly above your quota or projections in your current job or if some of your current clients have offices in your new location, it might help you.

It's not going to be easy, but let's be a little positive.

The things noted in this post are things that can help overcome the location issue. They don't remove it as an issue. Medical devices are typically sold to hospitals and other medical facilities in a particular area. Knowing the places that the buyers for these organizations might hang out, places they might go etc. can be very helpful in building a relationship. Learning that stuff takes time. In some circumstances that is a deal breaker. In others, it just means the candidate has to be better than the locals by a little more. And sales numbers at current job is one good way to show "better."

Cross country relocation expenses may or may not be an issue for the hiring company. Depends on the likely sales and profits to be made.

The things noted in this post are things that can help overcome the location issue. They don't remove it as an issue. Medical devices are typically sold to hospitals and other medical facilities in a particular area. Knowing the places that the buyers for these organizations might hang out, places they might go etc. can be very helpful in building a relationship. Learning that stuff takes time. In some circumstances that is a deal breaker. In others, it just means the candidate has to be better than the locals by a little more. And sales numbers at current job is one good way to show "better."

Cross country relocation expenses may or may not be an issue for the hiring company. Depends on the likely sales and profits to be made.

Again, really appreciate the responses. Still very curious to hear from anyone in the HR industry that knows if their screening software recognizes X lives in A not B, so stop reading X's data.

There are three things you look for when you hire a sales person - a demonstratable track record of success (duh), industry knowledge, and a Rolodex. If the territory you're trying to fill is local and your candidate is not, that's a huge strike against.

Retain a recruiter to find someone from a competitor in the local territory.

Last edited:
I pay to relocate managers from out of the area. Have yet to pay a salesperson to move, but I would if it was the right person.

Again, really appreciate the responses. Still very curious to hear from anyone in the HR industry that knows if their screening software recognizes X lives in A not B, so stop reading X's data.

Yes I've been at companies that put geographic limits for different types of jobs. It's fairly common in detail even for corp jobs.

ONW, why don't you just throw in a resume and find out? It'll take you, what, 30 minutes to an hour to tailor your current resume to this position? If you've put in the effort to start and follow this discussion, just polish your resume, submit and see what happens.

It depends on the hiring manager and the company setup. Most companies don't use a software that auto-screens out people based on location - but whoever or whatever is doing the screening will obviously take that into account - you other qualifications would have to blow them away. For most sales roles, even medical device, I would say it is going to be tough - there are not a lot of people paying for relocation for sales reps (management or whale hunters, possibly). If you aren't looking for relocation help, make that known - either in your CV or an email to the hiring manager (if you know them).

I think the best bet, as someone mentioned here, is to work with a recruiter or an agency, they have better connections and can sell you to hiring managers. Search some out and get them your resume - most of the good ones will do a full interview with you and you can give them all the info they need to sell you to at least get a first interview. This is all assuming you can't work through your own network.

Back