• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

APU

I think the end game is that football and basketball raises their stipend somewhat, and eventually lets players negotiate their own individual sponsorship deals. And I'd be fine with that.

Is the "individual sponsorship deal" negotiated before signing day?

I think the end game is that football and basketball raises their stipend somewhat, and eventually lets players negotiate their own individual sponsorship deals. And I'd be fine with that.

I'd be fine with that, too. It wouldn't help the NCAA's case at all, but it would solve the "to pay or not to pay the student athletes?" question.

I think it is extremely rare (perhaps even non-existent) that situations arise making the acceptance of illegal benefits necessary. Athletic departments actually have funds they can use within the NCAA rules to help athletes in emergencies, so I have a hard time seeing the necessity of accepting illegal benefits in any circumstance.

I certainly get your argument that a stipend would curb the violations that can "be prevented," but I don't agree with the argument. I think the violations would continue at a similar rate, but you may be right.

Indeed. We'll have to see.

I'll have to do some research on those AD funds. I didn't know that.

Six pages and still no....

Apu > A.P.U

Apu-n.gif

I'd be fine with that, too. It wouldn't help the NCAA's case at all, but it would solve the "to pay or not to pay the student athletes?" question.

I actually think it would help a lot. Then the NCAA can equate a scholarship offer to a contract, but still allow student athlete's to make money on their own, just like I'm allowed to make money outside of my current full time job. I think it would cut out the legs of most of the effective opposing arguments out there and at the same time not destroy non-revenue sports.

I actually think it would help a lot. Then the NCAA can equate a scholarship offer to a contract, but still allow student athlete's to make money on their own, just like I'm allowed to make money outside of my current full time job. I think it would cut out the legs of most of the effective opposing arguments out there and at the same time not destroy non-revenue sports.

Oh, it would definitely do the bold, but it runs completely counter to what the NCAA's mission. Not that the NCAA actually follows their mission statement or anything, but they like to invoke it when they're challenged.

Oh, it would definitely do the bold, but it runs completely counter to what the NCAA's mission. Not that the NCAA actually follows their mission statement or anything, but they like to invoke it when they're challenged.

Would the catcher on the softball team a able to negotiate a better deal than Johnny Football? Nothing will come of this because the NCAA doesn't need to deal with it.

Last edited:
From Business Insider:

It is no secret that big-time college football creates a lot of revenue for universities and only a small percentage of that goes to the players. The chart below shows us how much those players might be worth if they played in a free market system and players at the University of Texas top the list.

Fair Market Value1 was calculated for each of the 25 football programs that generated the most revenue in 2012. Using the NFL's most recent collective bargaining agreement in which the players receive a minimum of 47% of all revenue, we then divided that value by the 85 scholarship players.

Using this method we can estimate that the average college football player at the University of Texas is worth $578,000 per year. Now consider that in 2010-11, Texas spent $3.2 million on scholarships for football players, just 3.2% of all revenue, or about $37,600 per scholarship player.

Here are 25 schools where football players have the greatest value...

01-37.png

1 Fair Market Value = (Football Revenue * 47%)/85

Saw a similar study that said the Duke Basketball players were worth the most individually. Something like $1.5M per scholarship player.

On the reverse I'd love to know how much each women's golf team member owes Wake Forest.

Saw a similar study that said the Duke Basketball players were worth the most individually. Something like $1.5M per scholarship player.

On the reverse I'd love to know how much each women's golf team member owes Wake Forest.

Years ago someone posted a document that was a breakdown of what each sport at Wake generated and how much it cost. Basketball was the only one that generated a significant profit. It generated enough to pay for all the others that lost money. Football made a lot of money but the costs were high. Wish I had saved that document cause I can't find it now. I did find this article where they talk about why Wake doesn't have more sports.
“Any sport we add, isn’t going to increase our revenue,” Shutt said. “Lacrosse and softball would unfortunately be just another expense.”

Shutt estimated that adding a new program would cost around $1,500,000 to start when combining all the factors.
http://oldgoldandblack.com/?p=31391
And this is a great article from a Wake law journal that looks at the subject. The author points out that when you take out basketball and football only 8.5% of the remaining male athletes are minorities. You could argue black athletes are subsidizing opportunities for white athletes, as football and basketball are typically the only sports that generate money. But that issue is just a minor part of the article. Well worth reading.
http://lawpolicyjournal.law.wfu.edu/files/2012/06/Vol.2-1-Article-Taha.pdf

That Business Insider article is misleading, because the NFL CBA is 47% of revenue for all of the teams in the league, not 47% of the revenue for the specific teams. The true "market value" of any player in the NCAA would then be 47% of the football revenues of all of the schools diveded by the number of schools divided by 85.

And this is a great article from a Wake law journal that looks at the subject. The author points out that when you take out basketball and football only 8.5% of the remaining male athletes are minorities. You could argue black athletes are subsidizing opportunities for white athletes, as football and basketball are typically the only sports that generate money. But that issue is just a minor part of the article. Well worth reading.
http://lawpolicyjournal.law.wfu.edu/files/2012/06/Vol.2-1-Article-Taha.pdf

Prof. Taha is a smart, smart dude. UPenn for undergrad with a B.S. in Finance and a B.A. in Econ. Stanford for grad school, with a J.D. and a Ph.D. in Econ. Not sure if he is still teaching at Wake, but he was a great prof when I was there.

I found a site that lists what each team costs at Wake (as of 2010) and what each generates. They say Women's Basketball costs $2,208,570 and has an average total revenue of $539,914. Women's Golf costs $555,048 and has an average total revenue of $487,144. Women's Golf generates almost as much as Women's Basketball?
http://athleticscholarships.com/search/?s=wake+forest

That Business Insider article is misleading, because the NFL CBA is 47% of revenue for all of the teams in the league, not 47% of the revenue for the specific teams. The true "market value" of any player in the NCAA would then be 47% of the football revenues of all of the schools diveded by the number of schools divided by 85.

It's also misleading because NFL rosters are much smaller so the per player cut of that 47% is much larger.

BobStack, black male athletes definitely subsidize scholarship opportunities for primarily white, particularly white female athletes. I don't think anybody can argue against that one.

So using BSF's numbers the women's basketball team owes Wake $1,668,656 yearly. Divide that by 12 scholarship players and each player owes $139,054.66 yearly.

I think that could go a long way in rewarding Tanner for checking down yet again on 3rd down

I found a site that lists what each team costs at Wake (as of 2010) and what each generates. They say Women's Basketball costs $2,208,570 and has an average total revenue of $539,914. Women's Golf costs $555,048 and has an average total revenue of $487,144. Women's Golf generates almost as much as Women's Basketball?
http://athleticscholarships.com/search/?s=wake+forest

I'm more surprised that Women's Golf actually generates any revenue.

I'm more surprised that Women's Golf actually generates any revenue.

I agree. I'm not sure how legitimate some of those numbers are. I'm skeptical. If they're getting them from the AD I'd like to see how the AD comes up with them.

I agree. I'm not sure how legitimate some of those numbers are. I'm skeptical. If they're getting them from the AD I'd like to see how the AD comes up with them.

I assume there's something in the way of sponsors and what have you, but it still strikes me as odd.

Back