• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Archie Miller

The support for this is quite surprising to me. We are willing to stake our future on the current emotion and two games? Do you realize Dayton was 11th in the A-10 last year? [Redacted] beat Duke, State, and UNC this year. I see Archie Miller as an outlier right now - if we hire him I am quite concerned about regression to the mean.

I am impressed by what I saw tonight. But if Wellman has been told to go big, Archie ain't it; Amaker ain't it; White ain't it; and Turner sure as hell ain't it.

It's Shaka, Marshall, or Howland. That's the list, unless a wildcard like Jay Wright comes into play.

I am impressed by what I saw tonight. But if Wellman has been told to go big, Archie ain't it; Amaker ain't it; White ain't it; and Turner sure as hell ain't it.

It's Shaka, Marshall, or Howland. That's the list, unless a wildcard like Jay Wright comes into play.

And I'm fine with any of those names.

Are we in the position to take a chance?

That's a question of ceilings and floors. The chance you take really depends on where the floor is. Archie probably has a fairly low floor compared to more proven options, but Smart's floor might just be lower than expected. I would prefer we make a decision based on the ceiling. Smart probably has the highest ceiling, but Archie's ceiling seems pretty damn high.

He really has.

Everyone pulling for Archie, that's fine, I dig it, I'm not opposed to it, but you must have not been of age when he played at NC State. God, that was an annoying little fucker. One of my least favorite players of all time.

Has some "Wojo" in him, eh?......:D

I like this reply...it really is a case of floor vs ceiling. My concern is the current state of our program. Say we take a high risk....high ceiling but really low floor. If it tanks...we are out of basketball relevance and recruiting...perhaps for a very long period of time. I am feeling we are in a high stakes situation.

And there is really no reason to look beyond that list. We know Howland is available and interested. If Shaka says no and Marshall is still in the NCAAT after tomorrow, pull the trigger on Howland. If Marshall loses tomorrow, and Shaka says no, then find out if our Brinks truck has a strong enough suspension to handle the load that Marshall requires. If not, call Howland.

Done and done...

I like this reply...it really is a case of floor vs ceiling. My concern is the current state of our program. Say we take a high risk....high ceiling but really low floor. If it tanks...we are out of basketball relevance and recruiting...perhaps for a very long period of time. I am feeling we are in a high stakes situation.

But even the lowest floor looks pretty good when you are standing in the sub-subbasement, which is where 4 years of Bz has left us.

I don't buy that. The ACC is only getting more desirable. If we are looking for a "safe" hire that could land us in purgatory of being a perpetual bubble team, then what are we doing? Swing for the fences, and if you miss, swing again.

I don't buy that. The ACC is only getting more desirable. If we are looking for a "safe" hire that could land us in purgatory of being a perpetual bubble team, then what are we doing? Swing for the fences, and if you miss, swing again.

Yep, if we whiff on Shaka, Marshall and Howland, we are in a lot of trouble for the future. My gut tells me that we do land one of those three. I think Ron knows his legacy is at stake, and he has an enormous ego.

Wellman has not been told to go big.

Hopefully he has been told don't go with another gut choice when the numbers do not add up, in others words, don't go [Redacted]

I don't get how if we tank we are out of basketball relevance and recruiting. We've just had 4 straight losing seasons and are talking about Shaka/Howland, etc. We're at rock bottom, if we still think we can get whoever now, then we can when we're in rock bottom another 4 years from now ;p

Yep, if we whiff on Shaka, Marshall and Howland, we are in a lot of trouble for the future. My gut tells me that we do land one of those three. I think Ron knows his legacy is at stake, and he has an enormous ego.

I didn't just mean the big names. I like gambling on Miller. He's probably 3rd on my list, but I am less enamored with Marshall than most on here admittedly.

I don't get how if we tank we are out of basketball relevance and recruiting. We've just had 4 straight losing seasons and are talking about Shaka/Howland, etc. We're at rock bottom, if we still think we can get whoever now, then we can when we're in rock bottom another 4 years from now ;p

That's the beauty of a huge part of your job's appeal being tied to conference strength and TV money.

Just because Wellman has not been told to go big does not doom us. His reputation is seriously on the line. He and his ego knows he needs to hit a HR with this hire after the beating his image took with [Redacted]

I get this - Shaka is coming - no way he could turn it down! While it may not seem so, "rock bottom" is a relative term.

Back