• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are $250k Earners Middle Class?

Is $250k a year middle class?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You could replace NYC with LA, Chicago and Boston and have the same situation. Those areas represent a large amount of the concentration of wealth in the country.

I'm not so sure about that. Manhattan and Northwest Brooklyn are basically gated communities of absurd wealth concentration. 20 years go, more of NYC looked socioeconomically like the Bronx and Southeast Queens. It's why NYC and SF are kind of BS examples. It's getting harder and harder to be poor in these places, so there's very little SES diversity.

I don't really care what happened 20 years ago that's irrelevant. The idea that a family in these types of cities, making $250k and paying the top tax rate, is rich is just silly.

We clearly need tax brackets above $250,000 that pay even higher rates so those that make $250,000 don't have to get bent out of shape paying the top tax rate.

I think it's silly for people to choose to move to concentrations of absurd wealth and complain that they're not rich enough to afford a quality of life that's too expensive for them, thus appropriating the term "middle class," when in fact most of the city's actual middle class lives far away, in areas where they can actually perform middle classness.

I don't know where you're located, Cat, but lots of middle class folks in east Queens, South Brooklyn, Northwest Bronx, and Long Island (places with naturally occuring middle classes) are doing fine with the whole making less than $250k thing.

I think it's silly for people to choose to move to concentrations of absurd wealth and complain that they're not rich enough to afford a quality of life that's too expensive for them, thus appropriating the term "middle class," when in fact most of the city's actual middle class lives far away, in areas where they can actually perform middle classness.

I don't know where you're located, Cat, but lots of middle class folks in east Queens, South Brooklyn, Northwest Bronx, and Long Island (places with naturally occuring middle classes) are doing fine with the whole making less than $250k thing.

I don't care if people are "doing just fine." The people that are doing well are working crazy hours and making sacrifices for their money. Just because other people can't or don't want to play ball doesn't mean those who want to should get punished.

I live in Somerset County, NJ so taxes are not so much fun here.

Honest question, where does $250k rank in NYC household income?

I don't care if people are "doing just fine." The people that are doing well are working crazy hours and making sacrifices for their money. Just because other people can't or don't want to play ball doesn't mean those who want to should get punished.

I live in Somerset County, NJ so taxes are not so much fun here.

No, they know the limits of their income and are not fiscally irresponsible.

And you chose to live in Somerset County, NJ. You could live anywhere that you wanted to and you chose Somerset County, NJ.

Pretty naive to assume that blue collar workers pulling multiple shifts aren't putting in the hours like white collar folks.

Honest question, where does $250k rank in NYC household income?

It really depends on where you are. Manhattan is becoming a gated communities for the absurdly wealthy (with a few exceptions in upper Manhattan and by the downtown bridges). NYC is basically two cities in that regard. Looking at places in King, Queens, Staten Island, Bronx and Nassau county are better indicators of what middle class is in NYC.

Pretty naive to assume that blue collar workers pulling multiple shifts aren't putting in the hours like white collar folks.

Classism is cool, Deacfreak. Haven't you heard? People that make under $250k are lazy and undeserving.

No, they know the limits of their income and are not fiscally irresponsible.

And you chose to live in Somerset County, NJ. You could live anywhere that you wanted to and you chose Somerset County, NJ.

This is the biggest red herring I've read. So you're saying middle and lower classes are more fiscally responsible than the upper class.

It really depends on where you are. Manhattan is becoming a gated communities for the absurdly wealthy (with a few exceptions in upper Manhattan and by the downtown bridges). NYC is basically two cities in that regard. Looking at places in King, Queens, Staten Island, Bronx and Nassau county are better indicators of what middle class is in NYC.

Do you have actual data about household incomes in the NYC metro area? I would imagine $250k is higher than folks are acknowledging.

Whatever dude. I was entertaining clients on the company's dime 4 out of the last 5 nights. A man can only eat so much steak and Yager.

This is the biggest red herring I've read. So you're saying middle and lower classes are more fiscally responsible than the upper class.

I would argue that neither are the idealized archetypes that either side of this argument cling to. The reality is that both upper and middle/lower class folks are probably fiscally responsible and irresponsible.

Back