• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Article in Forbes on Wake Forest's elderly crowd at basketball games

I hope you tell him to fuck off. In those words.

After the UVA game (during which he was wearing a UVA shirt) I turned around and slammed down the seat on my chair and he said "calm down buddy, there's no need for that".

It took every ounce of restraint not to just yell profanity directly in his face.

A friend of mine from law school went on to become a sports law professor. He writes a variety of things. To my surprise, he just released an article in Forbes on Wake Forest's basketball games being attended by a mostly older crowd. I don't live in Winston but I've noticed the elderly crowd on TV as well. I realize the students may not be going as often because we suck. But a further question is, does Winston lack a sizable younger professional crowd to attend games?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcedelman/2016/02/10/college-students-the-missing-ingredient-at-wake-forests-lawrence-joel-memorial-coliseum/#250d852eb203

my take away from the article (we suck is a given) is that your buddy is attending games to creepily ogle co-eds in tube tops.

Indeed, last Saturday’s crowd might have been the oldest anywhere in all of college sports — one that featured far more bald heads and white hair than Greek letters and tube tops.

Yes, that means you're old. Prosser moved the students when he arrived at Wake (2001), to improve the home court advantage.

Super old.
But the move was more about selling those prime seats behind the bench and center court instead of giving them "free" to the students.

Tube tops? What year is it? 1998?

Yes, that means you're old. Prosser moved the students when he arrived at Wake (2001), to improve the home court advantage.

No. That move was made to sell better seats to season ticket holders. How would moving students further from the action help home court advantage? People believed that because Skip was a good salesman.

No. That move was made to sell better seats to season ticket holders. How would moving students further from the action help home court advantage? People believed that because Skip was a good salesman.

Because it put the students behind the hoop when the other team was shooting free throws in the second half.

Because it put the students behind the hoop when the other team was shooting free throws in the second half.

Wow. I stopped believing that in middle school.

Wow. I stopped believing that in middle school.

You were in graduate school when this change occurred. You know, when the students unveiled the "No Means No" banner as Sheldon Williams attempted to make free throws. Or, maybe you'll remember sitting behind the basket in Cameron in the grad student section? Putting the students behind the Wake Forest bench made no sense to Skip, and I agree.

Guess what the crowds would look like at Cameron or the Dean Dome if they were at the end of a six year run when their best conference record was 6-12, and their team was in the middle of 9 game losing streak.

No fanbase (not Bama football, not Kentucky basketball, not the Boston Red Sox, not the Packers or the Steelers) would turnout for a team on a run anything close to the current run of ineptitude. 100% agree that the size of the crowd at the FSU and Clemson games surprised me given that WF's basketball season had gone in the tank AGAIN. Did anyone notice the stands at GT last night? Looked like an Atlantic Sun Conference game between Kennesaw State and Lipscomb. Complain about the fans when WF basketball is contending for an ACC title or at least an NCAA bid in February, but if seniors (as in senior citizens, not students) are still shuffling over to the Joel to attend WF basketball god bless them because it takes a serious case of dementia to continue to watch this team game after game.

Last edited:
After the UVA game (during which he was wearing a UVA shirt) I turned around and slammed down the seat on my chair and he said "calm down buddy, there's no need for that".

It took every ounce of restraint not to just yell profanity directly in his face.

I don't undertand. He's a young alum who comes to Joel wearing the opponent's shirt/colors every time ? Is he alone or with someone ? Sounds like a bizarre person.

I don't undertand. He's a young alum who comes to Joel wearing the opponent's shirt/colors every time ? Is he alone or with someone ? Sounds like a bizarre person.

I had a guy like that in at the football games in 2007 or 2008. Probably the same guy. Seriously has no life.

You were in graduate school when this change occurred. You know, when the students unveiled the "No Means No" banner as Sheldon Williams attempted to make free throws. Or, maybe you'll remember sitting behind the basket in Cameron in the grad student section? Putting the students behind the Wake Forest bench made no sense to Skip, and I agree.

I stopped believing that people behind the backboard affected FTs. I was behind the basket in Cameron as a grad student because undergrads rightfully got the sideline lower level seats.

I stopped believing that people behind the backboard affected FTs. I was behind the basket in Cameron as a grad student because undergrads rightfully got the sideline lower level seats.

There's a lot of sense to this. There's a reason why the Duke student section is so well known and it's partly due to the fact that they're close to the action and in the line of the cameras. It builds upon the brand. On the other hand, it wouldn't really matter for us right now since nobody goes to the games.

This interaction would have been worth the $10 ticket to the game.

I had a guy like that in at the football games in 2007 or 2008. Probably the same guy. Seriously has no life.

Why does he do that? Is it to show sportsmanship or something? Sounds very peculiar. I think I'd want a seat far away from this killjoy.

Yep.

Back